Gibraltar 2014

The very latest International round up of English news.
benedgell

Re: Gibraltar 2014

Post by benedgell » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:A stunning game between Kamsky and Ivanchuk today.
Dunno why Kamsky didn't go for it today. He's gone from a potential first outright going into the last round to joining what could be a large group of GMs on 7/9 and having to play against one of them with black in the last round. The organisers/ sponsors must be horribly disappointed.

Andrew Stone

Post by Andrew Stone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Today's puzzle: why did black resign in the final position?

Black resigned against me also last year in Teplice, Czech Republic. I had a good attack going but it was far from over and I doubt any other oppo would have resigned. He wore an Ipswich Town shirt (despite being Danish). I don't think this had anything to do with the premature resignation, but I could be wrong!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm

PeterFarr wrote:I'm guessing Black actually picked up the rook and d2 intending to take on c2, then noticed Qxd8 mate as Brendan said, and finally realized too late that any other move by that rook loses.
Peter has it.

(It's not quite the worst half-move on the board - picking up the c2 rook would be even worse - but it's certainly the second worst.)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
PeterFarr wrote:I'm guessing Black actually picked up the rook and d2 intending to take on c2, then noticed Qxd8 mate as Brendan said, and finally realized too late that any other move by that rook loses.
Peter has it.

(It's not quite the worst half-move on the board - picking up the c2 rook would be even worse - but it's certainly the second worst.)
I assumed, mistakenly, that black resigned because white was genuinely winning, and that was the puzzle. :oops:

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Peter has it.

I assumed, mistakenly, that black resigned because white was genuinely winning, and that was the puzzle. :oops:
Well, You did the harder bit by showing that black wasn't lost without a trick...

Incidentally, thanks to Simon Brown for pointing out Jack's very entertaining game today - and to Jack for playing it of course!

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:45 am

benedgell wrote:
Dunno why Kamsky didn't go for it today. He's gone from a potential first outright going into the last round to joining what could be a large group of GMs on 7/9 and having to play against one of them with black in the last round. The organisers/ sponsors must be horribly disappointed.
I think Kamsky DID go for it. It was pretty obvious from his body language, and the amount of time he spent thinking, he could find nothing better than a repetition. He was, after all, material down. It happens sometimes...

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:07 am

And, sometimes does it not also happen that a group of top players come to an accommodation - even a tacit one - to share the spoils equitably?

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 am

Nigel Short wrote:
benedgell wrote:
I think Kamsky DID go for it. It was pretty obvious from his body language, and the amount of time he spent thinking, he could find nothing better than a repetition. He was, after all, material down. It happens sometimes...
During the game, Simon and Irina in the commentary certainly seemed to agree with this, suggesting that Kamsky may have been caught out.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:28 am

John McKenna wrote:And, sometimes does it not also happen that a group of top players come to an accommodation - even a tacit one - to share the spoils equitably?
It does. But usually not when they have as strong a motivation as Kamsky did not to.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 am

Michael Adams had an interesting draw this morning.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 am

An interesting game in progress in Vachier Lagrave- Ivanchuck on board one. The latter has just taken the second sacrificed piece.

And can someone explain what was going on in Adams game? It's way beyond my understanding, maybe we'll ask him to explain when he comes to Shrosphire for his simul next month!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:10 pm

Steve Rooney wrote: And can someone explain what was going on in Adams game? It's way beyond my understanding, maybe we'll ask him to explain when he comes to Shrosphire for his simul next month!
You could also try Vallejo Pons and Lenier Dominguez who played an identical game in 2006. At one level, it's a case of sharp tactical blows leading to a draw by repetition. At another level, perhaps both players were aware of the previous game, so knew how the tactics would work out. It's not always safe to assume your opponent is prepared to draw as there might be a devastating novelty available.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Only just caught up with Kamsky-Ivanchuk. Curious that 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bf4 c5 should come up more than once after I mentioned it in passing a fortnight ago.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:59 am

JustinHorton wrote:Only just caught up with Kamsky-Ivanchuk. Curious that 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bf4 c5 should come up more than once after I mentioned it in passing a fortnight ago.
Ivanchuk must be studying your posts, Justin...

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 am

Kamsky came into the commentary room after the game and said "nobody has played Qb6 against me in that position for more than 10 years and I forgot the theory" (or words to that effect). A certain amount of surprise was expressed about this (although not to Kamsky's face).