The battle for ECU Presidential elections begins

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: The battle for ECU Presidential elections begins

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:35 pm

The ECF has given its unqualified support, in 2006 and 2010, to campaigns whose central tenets were that Jarrett and Freeman, in turn, were crooks. They knew perfectly well these claims were baseless, but didn't care. They are presumably planning something similar in 2014.

No, the ECF commands no respect even among its political allies, and nor does it deserve any.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:21 pm

NickFaulks wrote:The ECF has given its unqualified support, in 2006 and 2010, to campaigns whose central tenets were that Jarrett and Freeman, in turn, were crooks. They knew perfectly well these claims were baseless, but didn't care. They are presumably planning something similar in 2014.

No, the ECF commands no respect even among its political allies, and nor does it deserve any.
Do the other 50 to 60 Federations who supported those campaigns neither command nor deserve respect?

Does Geoffrey Borg, who was the candidate for Treasurer in the 2006 campaign, neither command nor deserve respect?
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: Do the other 50 to 60 Federations who supported those campaigns neither command nor deserve respect.

Does Geoffrey Borg, who was the candidate for Treasurer in the 2006 campaign, neither command nor deserve respect?
When Jarrett was accused of malpractice he should have been able to rely on his own federation, who knew him to be of good character, to at least distance itself from them. They chose not to do so, fully aware that this would send a signal to the outside world that the allegations might have some substance. This does not reflect on other federations.

Borg was a low key member of Bessel's team in 2006. As I recall he arrived late, parachuted in when some earlier choices failed to materialise. You might have expected him to lead the charge on alleged financial impropriety, but Bessel did that himself - it was after all, the only thing he had to say.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm

NickFaulks wrote:When Jarrett was accused of malpractice he should have been able to rely on his own federation, who knew him to be of good character, to at least distance itself from them. They chose not to do so, fully aware that this would send a signal to the outside world that the allegations might have some substance. This does not reflect on other federations.
I refer you to the reply I made the last time you raised this point:
David Sedgwick wrote:The then ECF Board dissociated itself from the comments to which you allude, albeit not to a degree which satisfied Jarrett.
NickFaulks wrote:Borg was a low key member of Bessel's team in 2006. As I recall he arrived late, parachuted in when some earlier choices failed to materialise. You might have expected him to lead the charge on alleged financial impropriety, but Bessel did that himself - it was after all, the only thing he had to say.
Borg wasn't "parachuted in when some earlier choices failed to materialise ". On the contrary, he was selected in preference to an alternative candidate.

As for being low key, he joined Kok in giving an impressive presentation at Birmingham in January 2006. In the interests of fairness, the then BCF invited the Ilyumzhinov camp to give a presentation also. I'll be generous to Makropoulos and Jarrett; I'll simply describe their presentation as inferior.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:45 pm

...... at the Paragon Hotel at a 4NCL 2006/2007 season weekend. From memory, David's assessment of the relative merits of the two presentations seems pretty spot on. Makropoulos came over as a bit of a used car salesman as I recall.

I thought people might like a couple of recent reviews for this appalling hotel. God knows what I thought I was doing when I booked it for the 4NCL all those years ago. Belatedly, a profound apology to all concerned.

Traveller rating

Excellent
Very good
Average
Poor
Terrible

“What can I say”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed here on business on the 3rd April, you'd be better off committing a minor crime in Birmingham City centre and getting locked up for the evening, it will be cheaper, quieter, cleaner and you will encounter less undesirables than staying here. What a kennel.
Was this review helpful? Yes
Rose T
Hull yorkshire
1 review
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

I attended training at this hotel this week. The training room was grim and the smell was disgusting. Other people staying in the hotel tried to steal the food that was put out for our lunches. The toilets did not appear to have been cleaned thoroughly over the two days of the training. The hotel and car park are covered... More
Was this review helpful? Yes

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:18 pm

I've stayed there once since it kicked the 4NCL out. It seemed to have gone downhill in the intervening time.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 pm

since it kicked the 4NCL out
As you probably recall, at two weeks notice following the appointment of a new events manager keen to make a name for herself despite a signed agreement between the hotel and the 4NCL. So much for long term relationships. De Vere stepped into the breach and helped us salvage the weekend.

PS What on earth possessed you to subsequently visit this particular s***hole?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Mike Truran wrote:PS What on earth possessed you to subsequently visit this particular s***hole?
I was in Birmingham for a board game convention, and this was the only nearby hotel available at short notice.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm

So David and Makro go to the Paragon, meet with the ECF and it goes even further downhill.
FIDE certainly have a lot to answer for. Could they be sued by the Paragon Hotel?

Mike, I wondered if you were fooled like I was one year in Plymouth? I was shown an excellent room and booked for the entire control team. My room was indeed fine. When the late Harry Baines showed me his room after about 10 days I was appalled.

It amazes me how black and white people see these prime mover administrators as. I suppose it is because we are chessplayers. In every case, they each have good points and bad points.
I used to have a low opinion of Makro. Since Dresden 2008 that opinion has risen considerably.
I used to have a high opinion of Ali. Now it has gone way down.
I have been biased against Danailov for many years. An arbiter losing his objectivity is like losing one's right arm. But, it is not as an arbiter that I am viewing these matters.
I thought Azmay was unelectable. Could I be wrong? Georgia has made an amazing bid for the World Championship.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:40 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:It amazes me that people have confused two completely separate elections.
That for the FIDE presidency.
That for the ECU presidency.
What will happen is that first the FIDE Presidential ticket will be voted for. That being settled and the extra VPs agreed on, the Continental Presidencies are voted on by the federations in their own meetings.
We have two candidates for FIDE P. Andrew Paulson would vote for none of the above. Nigel Short and the ECF for GK. I would vote for GK, despite the presence of Ignatius Leong on his ticket.
We have two candidates for ECU P. AP of course would vote for Azmay. Nigel would vote for Danailov. I would vote for none of the above.

Azmay is absolutely correct though, you should try to work with people, not against them. Whoever is elected, I would continue to try to do so. The ECF influence on presidential proceedings is negligible. The English influence in some commissions is substantial and could be more so if we had more members in those commissions.
On the 9 April the ECU office sent out a newsletter to all the national federations:

Dear chess friends,

On behalf of the ECU President Mr. Silvio Danailov, I have the pleasure to invite you to the ECU General Assembly and Elections to be held in Tromso, Norway on 10-11 August, 2014.

According to the published schedule of the FIDE Congress in Tromso, Norway the Continental meetings will take place on 10 August 2014. According to the timetable, the ECU General Assembly will start at 9 am on the mentioned date.
In accordance with ECU Statute, proposals from Members to be included in the agenda must reach the ECU office not later than 9 May 2014.

The ECU elections will take place on 11 August 2014.

The President, the Deputy President, a Vice President, the Secretary General and the Treasurer are elected on a combined ticket. Nominations for this ticket must reach the ECU Secretariat by 9 May 2014 midnight.
Nominations for the election of the Board members must reach the ECU Secretariat by 9 May 2014 midnight.
Nomination papers are obtainable from the ECU. They must be completed and submitted to the Secretariat of the ECU.

Best regards,
Sava Stoisavljevic
ECU Secretary General

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:I have been biased against Danailov for many years. An arbiter losing his objectivity is like losing one's right arm. But, it is not as an arbiter that I am viewing these matters.
It's a great pity you didn't attend the dinner on Friday evening. I honestly think that you might have felt more positive towards him, as I now do.

Stewart Reuben wrote:I thought Azmay was unelectable. Could I be wrong?
We can only hope and pray that your first thought was correct. Danailov seemed confident enough.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 am

Mike Truran wrote:...... at the Paragon Hotel at a 4NCL 2006/2007 season weekend.

[snip]

I thought people might like a couple of recent reviews for this appalling hotel. God knows what I thought I was doing when I booked it for the 4NCL all those years ago. Belatedly, a profound apology to all concerned.
Brilliant, Mike!

It's a long tradition on this Forum that threads go totally off topic. This one, ostensibly about the ECU elections of 2014, had turned its attention to the FIDE elections of 2006. That wasn't enough for you. The thread is now about the quality, or rather the lack of quality, of the Paragon Hotel in Birmingham.

The event in question was in 2005-06, not 2006-07. We were all younger then. It was your salad days when you were green in judgment.

(With acknowledgments to William Shakespeare and to HM The Queen for the phraseology and apologies to the Forum for the name drops)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:46 am

David

Yes, it did occur to me as I posted that I could not go more off piste if I tried. So I can unreservedly apologise for that as well as for booking the Paragon in the first place (but I thought the Tripadvisor snippets were too good not to share).

'Green in judgment' a decade or so ago? No doubt some would claim that not much has changed in the supervening years. :oops:

Anyway, you and Chris have entirely correctly brought us back on track.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the votes for and against the Paragon are almost identical to the votes for and against Andrew Paulson last Saturday?

Coincidence? I think not. This deserves its own thread

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:41 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:I have been biased against Danailov for many years. An arbiter losing his objectivity is like losing one's right arm. But, it is not as an arbiter that I am viewing these matters.
It's a great pity you didn't attend the dinner on Friday evening. I honestly think that you might have felt more positive towards him, as I now do.
When it comes to wowing the ECF crowd, Danailov seems to be this year's Andrew Paulson.

I couldn't choose between Danailov and Azmai, and of course don't have to. I do think it's very poor that a Continental President would oppose an Olympiad bid from his own continent. In mine, I do not believe that Jorge Vega would oppose a bid by the US, even though they do not agree on much.