The battle for ECU Presidential elections begins

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Sedgwick

Re: The battle for ECU Presidential elections begins

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Zurab Azmaiparashvili has now announced his ticket and - surprise, surprise - Andrew Paulson is no longer on it.

https://www.facebook.com/ecubacktoeurope

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Is the deadline for candidates the same as the FIDE election?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat May 10, 2014 11:19 pm

benedgell wrote:Is the deadline for candidates the same as the FIDE election?
Not quite. Nominations for the ECU elections closed yesterday (Friday 9th May). Nominations for the FIDE elections close tomorrow (Sunday 11th May).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon May 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:35 am

Not quite sure what sort of election campaign Zurab Azmaiparashvili is running here. This morning I received a Facebook invitation from him to play Candy Crush.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:45 am

7 of us had dinner yesterday in Athens. Zurab Azmayparashvili was in the group.
Azmay came over perfectly well. It was a typical free-ranging discussion between members of the Ethics Commission, Nigel Freeman hosting the evening and me. I am staying in Athens a couple of days after the conclusion of the Rules Commission meetings.
When it returned to FIDE matters, as it did from time to time, Azmay's theme was usually that 'we should work together'. Understandably he was dismayed -as all should be -that the President of the ECU, Danailov, has said publicly that he supported the South Africa bid for the Olympiad over Georgia.
It was also said that Garry should not, as a Presidential Candidate, have said he hoped Carlsen would win the return match against Anand. I was not so sure about this. After all, Magnus and Garry had worked togther fairly recently. There is nothing wrong with having a declared interest, provided one doesn't act on it, possibly recusing oneself fom the decision making process.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:17 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Understandably he was dismayed -as all should be -that the President of the ECU, Danailov, has said publicly that he supported the South Africa bid for the Olympiad over Georgia.
Are you able to say why we should all be dismayed by this?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:Understandably he was dismayed -as all should be -that the President of the ECU, Danailov, has said publicly that he supported the South Africa bid for the Olympiad over Georgia.
I have mentioned this before. Other than in quite exceptional circumstances, it is without doubt the duty of the Continental President to support a bid from his own continent. Jorge Vega has great differences with the USCF, but I am still sure that he would support a bid from the US.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:32 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
I have mentioned this before. Other than in quite exceptional circumstances, it is without doubt the duty of the Continental President to support a bid from his own continent. Jorge Vega has great differences with the USCF, but I am still sure that he would support a bid from the US.
Whilst I see where you're coming from, I don't agree with that view. If a non-European bid is far superior to a European one I'd want the ECU President to take a non parochial view and support the best bid.

Football has it's own problems with World Cup bidding of course, but you will often see continental heads such as Michel Platini supporting bids which are not from their own continent. Mind you, the principle of continental rotation is reasonably well established which makes that easier.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Try looking at the two bids and make up your own mind about their relative qualities. FIDE leant over backwards to enable the South African bid to be entered as it was out of time. Azmay has not made waves about that.
That said, having the Olympiad in South Africa would be very popular and very attractive.
Conversation with Lyndon Bouah, then President of RSA.
'We'd like to hold the Olympiad at the new conference centre in Cape Town'.
Me, 'Who'll run it?
Lyndon, 'You.'
Me, 'No, I will not be running the Olympiad.'

Mind you, since then South Africa has hosted the World Cup successfully.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: If a non-European bid is far superior to a European one I'd want the ECU President to take a non parochial view and support the best bid.
Yes, and I covered that, but here both bids are plausible. I have no doubt, and I can't imagine anyone does, that Danailov sees this as an act of political support for Kasparov.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:If a non-European bid is far superior to a European one I'd want the ECU President to take a non parochial view and support the best bid.
Considering that the selection vote is still a couple of months away, I'd rather want the ECU president to help making the bid of the European country the best bid.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:00 pm

The Olympiad is a wordlwide event. Thus it should not always be held in Europe. The last time it was not was 1992 in the Philippines. In terms of travelling expenses, Europe is cheaper overall. I have often thought there should be a fares equalisation scheme. Some may remember that was what used to be applied in the English Counties Championships. They have something of that this year for Norway for the poorer countries.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:18 am

Kasparov was also criticised heavily by ex-world champions Nona Gaprindashvili and Maia Chiburdanidze for not supporting the 2018 Georgian Olympiad bid. His response was very much that these events should be shared around and Africa has never had the chance to hold one.

http://kasparov2014.com/2014/06/08/kasp ... u-support/

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:47 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:If a non-European bid is far superior to a European one I'd want the ECU President to take a non parochial view and support the best bid.
Considering that the selection vote is still a couple of months away, I'd rather want the ECU president to help making the bid of the European country the best bid.
Given that the Olympiad hasn't left Europe for 25 years, I can't agree.
NickFaulks wrote:Yes, and I covered that, but here both bids are plausible.
If both bids are plausible then it's very reasonable, for the reasons above, to support the non-European bid.