Carlsen in Brazil

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Thurlow

Carlsen in Brazil

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:23 pm

http://en.chessbase.com/post/coming-in- ... -in-brazil

It seems a bit harsh giving him a blindfold simul to do just before the first round!

David Sedgwick

Re: Carlsen in Brazil

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:http://en.chessbase.com/post/coming-in- ... -in-brazil

It seems a bit harsh giving him a blindfold simul to do just before the first round!
Many things can be tolerated if the inducement to do so is high enough.

It's been reported that his fee includes four tickets for the (football) World Cup Final.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:30 pm

"It's been reported that his fee includes four tickets for the (football) World Cup Final."

That would explain it! The opposition is rated quite low (compared to him, that is) so he probably expected victory anyway.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:22 pm

See below for doctored versiom - oriiginal deleted - well almost - only this remains.
Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi there Kevin - we tried to get Magnus to come to Redhill and play for Crystal Palace tonite.
We offered him 5 World Cup tickets for England's expected matches in Brazil but he smelled a rat and said - no thanks. So it will be just us assorted minnows, I'm afraid, I kid you not. We will be there in sufficient numbers to fulfil the quota for the catastrophe, I am fairly reliably informed. Though as the dreaded hour approaches even brave souls have been known to fade away. You can count on me and, I hope, at le :P ast 6 others - any unexpected last-minute defaulters will discharged via the bottom boards but I am ever hopeful that there will be none. A tout a l'heure. (Sorry can't do the accents.)