Star ratings for International Tournaments

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Star ratings for International Tournaments

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:59 am

I heard that a Serbian IM Jovan Petronic was searching for a tournament but started running into trouble browsing through 10,000+ registered chess tournaments in the ECU calendar trying to figure out where it might be best to play. It resonated with me that there are quite a few factors one takes into account when entering a tournament both in the UK and internationally. i.e. prize fund (even though i don't usually win anything the amount of it determines how many good players its likely to attract), heating, lighting, distance from train stations, shops, catering, schedule and one could go on and on.

The funny thing is the one thing I don't usually have a problem with is choice of hotel or B&B. I go straight to Tripadvisor and always find quality accommodation at a price I want to pay in a matter of moments. I wondered whether we could introduce such a system for chess? Jovan has come up with his own criteria for discussion below but you can chop it up anyway you please and i wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult for whoever is in control of the ECF tournament calendar (is it Bruce Holland?) to introduce

For FIDE-rated open swiss chess event he suggests a star system. Something along the following lines where you add a star for each criteria available:

* = with own chess equipment (presumably an issue in his part of Europe!)
** = + with tradition (at least 4 previously organised)
*** = + comfortable playing conditions
**** = + with conditions for titled players
***** = + with special anti-cheating measures
****** = + with at least 3* hotels with free WiFi
******* = + FIDE-rated with title norm opportunities
******** = + with total prize fund over $NNNNxN

Etc.

LawrenceCooper

Re: Star ratings for International Tournaments

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:14 am

Chris Rice wrote:I heard that a Serbian IM Jovan Petronic was searching for a tournament but started running into trouble browsing through 10,000+ registered chess tournaments in the ECU calendar trying to figure out where it might be best to play. It resonated with me that there are quite a few factors one takes into account when entering a tournament both in the UK and internationally. i.e. prize fund (even though i don't usually win anything the amount of it determines how many good players its likely to attract), heating, lighting, distance from train stations, shops, catering, schedule and one could go on and on.

The funny thing is the one thing I don't usually have a problem with is choice of hotel or B&B. I go straight to Tripadvisor and always find quality accommodation at a price I want to pay in a matter of moments. I wondered whether we could introduce such a system for chess? Jovan has come up with his own criteria for discussion below but you can chop it up anyway you please and i wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult for whoever is in control of the ECF tournament calendar (is it Bruce Holland?) to introduce

For FIDE-rated open swiss chess event he suggests a star system. Something along the following lines where you add a star for each criteria available:

* = with own chess equipment (presumably an issue in his part of Europe!)
** = + with tradition (at least 4 previously organised)
*** = + comfortable playing conditions
**** = + with conditions for titled players
***** = + with special anti-cheating measures
****** = + with at least 3* hotels with free WiFi
******* = + FIDE-rated with title norm opportunities
******** = + with total prize fund over $NNNNxN

Etc.
In the days when I was International Director a player did suggest having a reviews section for tournaments abroad so players interested in going to tournaments could check the feedback of others who had been previously.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:24 am

Yeah I saw Andrew Stone's excellent description of a tournament in Vienna, Loz. That kind of description makes you want to play it and I notice that tournament this year had a few UK people in it so it does work. Its probably asking too much to do this for all the tournaments but if we had an automatic system prize funds, entry fees, how long its been running and whatever else etc and then have a capability of adding a review underneath, same style as Trip advisor then it might encourage more people to play?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:31 pm

The ECF Calendar has a system a bit like that, in that it has special symbols at the end for FIDE Rated, British Championship Qualifier, et cetera.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 am

Knowing the names of the chief organiser and chief arbiter would also help. Petronic didn't mention cost, or value for money.

I think word of mouth is very important. That is one of the reasons I am going to Liechtenstein in May. Another is it notches up another country. It is a very long time since I played in an 'ordinary' event.
People are reluctant to put what they really think in writing. It is easier to write about what is wrong rather than what is good. I also count: weather; attractiveness of locality; altitude (that is specific to my heart condition).

BYO chess equipment was, I thought, a unique problem now in the US. But certainly it was a small problem in Yugoslavia in 1970!
I abhor more than one round per day. Schedules which play at different times of day are also an anathema to me.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:45 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Knowing the names of the chief organiser and chief arbiter would also help. Petronic didn't mention cost, or value for money.
Yes good point on the cost suggestion, I forgot about that. When you are searching Tripadvisor you can organise your searches by cost which is very useful.
Stewart Reuben wrote:I think word of mouth is very important.
Definitely. Not just Tripadvisor but most travel sites ask how you heard about the hotel, event etc as it helps with their future marketing.
Stewart Reuben wrote: People are reluctant to put what they really think in writing.
Not too much to worry about there judging by the thread on the recent Blackpool tournament.
Stewart Reuben wrote: It is easier to write about what is wrong rather than what is good.
Agreed, people are often only motivated to put reviews on when something goes wrong. In order to mitigate this I've found lately that restaurants who are high up on the Tripadvisor rankings often survey their customers and if they've had a positive experience prompt the customer to put something on Tripadvisor/RoundMenu etc. Of course this may mean the rankings are not always 100% reliable but if you use them in combination with customer reviews where users are allowed to enter free text you can usually get a pretty good idea of what the restaurant/hotel is likely to be like.