2800+ Elo Average for 2nd Sinquefield Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: 2800+ Elo Average for 2nd Sinquefield Cup

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:10 am

Ian Thompson wrote: 40.Rxg6+ and the game's over.
I was watching the game, without a computer, and Rxg6+ was the first move I considered. My own games consist entirely of searches for such cheap tricks. When none strolls by, I tend to lose.

I should offer my services to Caruana. If my nose for a cheapo could be combined with his understanding of chess, he might become a very successful player.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:The latest on the Caruana - Nakamura game is that White has made serious progress in a Berlin endgame with Black facing passed e and g pawns ( move 36).

It's one of those generational tests. Kasparov got absolutely nowhere in 2000, so is Caruana a better player, or at least a better prepared player? But equally is the Berlin really suited to Nakamura's playing style?
Caruana seems to be just about the only person, in elite games at least, to be able to score a high number of wins against the Berlin. I wouldn't say that it is "White" in general. Though we are starting to see wins pop up from other players such as MVL against Giri, however there may be improvements from the Black side such as Nakamura-Aronian. Though Nakamura isn't perhaps the best person to follow with regards to opening theory compared to other players, particularly "stale" ones such as the Berlin. It just isn't Nakamura's natural play.

It is perhaps not surprising that Carlsen avoided playing the Berlin against Caruana.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:54 am

NickFaulks wrote: I should offer my services to Caruana. If my nose for a cheapo could be combined with his understanding of chess, he might become a very successful player.
If being over 2800 and winning the strongest rating tournament ever doesn't constitute being a very successful player, then I don't know what does.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:35 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Everybody knows Carlsen is the best player in the world. A formal title from FIDE to say you are World Champion means nothing in such circumstances - and if you disagree I challenge you to name from memory those guys who won their title between 1993 and reunification.

Be cross if you like - and I understand why you are - but I think you’re misunderstanding my posts. I’m not saying I’m in favour. What I am saying is that there are a lot of factors that have come together that makes a breakaway match possible. In a way that it was not a few months ago, say.

Strip away all the context. What match do you think would excite public chess opinion more: Carlsen - Caruana or Anand - Karjakin.
Probably the wrong person to ask with regards to memory! (not what it used to be, like now though it is still pretty good) Karpov, Khalifman, Anand, Ponomariov, Kasimdzhanov, Topalov. Quite infamously, in the San Luis tournament, Kasimdzhanov performed well below expectations and wasn't even close to the "title". Anand however, was close.

I do get what you mean though, in terms of a more general chess public, Khalifman, Ponomariov and Kasimdzhanov won't be well known. Anand as world champion is certainly more known for his success post-re-unification. (I'd also confess that I had never heard of Khalifman before as a player, never mind as a World Champion about 10 years ago. Though I think you can forgive me since I had more interesting things to do up to my teenage years!)

I'm not particularly cross, just a strong opinion... :wink: and certainly not cross at yourself. Yes, a break-away match is possible, but what I am questioning is the legitimacy of the challenger if it was not Anand. If it was an organised match between Carlsen-Anand, but just not under FIDE, then it would be similar to the Kasparov-Short breakaway. In this regard, then Karjakin - A.N.Other isn't really going to be considered a World Championship match, so Karjakin/A.N.Other could be grouped under the world champions listed above, Khalifman, Ponomariov, Kasimdzhanov and Topalov.

Of course, Carlsen-Caruana would be more exciting than Anand-Karjakin, but that is a separate argument.

If however, with regards to the actual match, you are comparing Carlsen-Caruana as an alternative to Carlsen-Anand, I am actually not sure which is more exciting. The only real difference in terms of entertainment is the fact that Carlsen whips out the Berlin, satisfied with a draw as Black since Anand is not as potent as Caruana in this, and then plays a "quieter" opening as White, to nurse a small advantage positionally, to avoid the talent tactician and prepared player that is "real" Anand. He'd do similar with Caruana.

In fact, I'd say that Caruana-Anand is probably more exciting! :lol:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:43 pm

So Caruana finishes off with 8.5/10. This gives him a TPR of 3078 for the event. The statistical validity of this number is low. First I determined the Ra for his 5 opponents. But, of course, each game should be considered separately. Still, it gives an idea.
9/10 3168. 9.5/10 3272. 10/10 3602. Once he drew in round 8, he could no longer better Fischer's record in the US Closed 1963-4.

It is noticeable that FIDE seem no longer to consider the 'champions' from 1993, that is Karpov and the winners of the knockout tournaments starting with Khalifman, as World Champions. FIDE shot themselves in the foot with what became the 128 player knockout and compounded it with making it an annual event.
But had Michael Adams beaten Kasimdzhanov in the last game, England would have rallied behind him as World Champion! Ray Keene had a meeting arranged with a potential sponsor of a reunification match against Kasparov on the Monday. But it was not to be.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:49 am

Here's another freaky stat:

Caruana's final result of 8.5 points matched Karpov's performance at Linares after 10 games. Veselin Topalov was their common victim and both grandmasters were able to make a decisive sacrifice on the square e6: Caruana offered his bishop, Karpov gave away a whole rook.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:48 pm

The newly published Guardian take on the Sinquefield Cup performances of Caruana and Carlsen:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/s ... efield-cup