2800+ Elo Average for 2nd Sinquefield Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Re: 2800+ Elo Average for 2nd Sinquefield Cup

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:50 am

Wow, words fail me

Caruana now at 2835.1, just behind Aronian's all time high of 2835.5 on the live ratings

He plays Carlsen next, and I think based on their ratings at the start of the event, a draw will give Caruana another 1 rating point (certainly enough to go into 3rd all time high live rating)

As for 10/10, I think the run will end tonight with a draw against Carlsen, although there is a possibility Magnus will over-press and Fabiano will win
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:56 pm

What time do the games start in relation to BST? (Tried to look on the website, but it seems to be down). This is one game I think a lot of people will be watching...

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:What time do the games start in relation to BST? (Tried to look on the website, but it seems to be down). This is one game I think a lot of people will be watching...
8:00 p.m.

Naturally this coincides with the first game of the season for me.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Ian Kingston wrote: Naturally this coincides with the first game of the season for me.
It simplified out to an opposite Bishops ending. The engine at chessbomb thinks that Carlsen erred with 28. .. Nb6 which allows 29 Rfd1 and there are some dangerous tactics revolving around the hit Bxc5. The point being that the recapture dxc5 allows Qg2 check discovering an attack by the d1 Rook on the Queen. Caruana actually played 29 Rcd1 with similar ideas but the disadvantage of leaving the c4 pawn loose.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:30 am

Ah well, so the run comes to an end. Caruana has secured outright first place with two rounds to go. I think the outside chance of world numbers 1 and 2 swapping round has also ended. All that is really left now is to see what Carlsen does regarding the match against Anand...

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:28 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:All that is really left now is to see what Carlsen does regarding the match against Anand...

A scenario:
somebody comes along and says to Carlsen and Caruana, "Here’s a shedload of money. I want you two to play a match". Carlsen wishes Vishy good luck in his battle with Karjakin.

Out of the question?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:35 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:All that is really left now is to see what Carlsen does regarding the match against Anand...
A scenario:
somebody comes along and says to Carlsen and Caruana, "Here’s a shedload of money. I want you two to play a match". Carlsen wishes Vishy good luck in his battle with Karjakin.

Out of the question?
Not impossible, especially given that in St Louis there would be the appetite for the match, and the finance to provide it, and the expertise to market it (TV etc)

I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of the Aronian - Kramnik match in Zurich a few years back, the experience gained would be more useful for Caruana than Carlsen though

I do want Carlsen to defend against Anand, I'd rather it not take place in Russia, but there appears to be no choice, as effectively, that's what the FIDE delegates voted for
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:38 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Out of the question?
Not totally, but Carlsen perhaps Caruana as well would have signed a contract at some time in the past, undertaking not to take part in matches or tournaments styled "world championship" outside of FIDE.

A private match "Italy-Norway Challenge" , "St Louis cup" or whatever would I thought have been legal.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:57 am

Far from usual for the WC to do that sort of thing though. Carruna - Aronian/Kramnik would be a rather more likely sort of 'practice' match to be arrangeable.
(Unless they are trying to split away of course but seriously hope that doesn't happen!).

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:07 am

The reports are out and although, as predicted by Mick, Caruana only drew with Carlsen he pocketed a $100,000. Lovely jubbly.

On the first report you'll see a picture of Magnus Carlsen in his traditional "Christ I'm bored" pose but if you look very, very closely you'll notice that the person taking his picture is Sabrina Chevannes!

http://www.chess.com/news/the-streak-en ... first-9290

http://en.chessbase.com/post/sinquefiel ... t-clinched

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Not impossible, especially given that in St Louis there would be the appetite for the match, and the finance to provide it, and the expertise to market it (TV etc)

Is this Malcolm Pein giving the idea a little tickle?

https://twitter.com/TelegraphChess/stat ... 2540588032

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:

The immediacy of Twitter, eh? I'd be a bit annoyed if I was either Magnus or Fabiano (still playing a top-level tournament, remember) and someone tweeted me like that. Let's hope neither are actually following their twitter accounts right now, and/or are sensible enough not to respond...

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:

What a sense of déjà vu: a mix of Kasparov/Short ("we do not want to play under FIDE rules") and Kasparov/Kramnik ("there's a better opponent than the qualified one"). It did not work out very well then, what's different now?

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:01 pm

I really hope this does not happen - I think we would be in for another 10 years of having different world champions, and all that entailed last time. Suppose Caruana played a match with Carlsen - what next? Winner plays whoever can find the biggest backer? Carlsen loses and claims he is still the 'best player', and demands a rematch? Carlsen wins and refuses to take part in a 'reunification match' because he is still the 'best player'? Meanwhile Kramnik might qualify via the FIDE route to challenge Anand/Karyakin. Sounds familiar.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Sorry Paolo, pretty much repeated what you said. deja vu indeed.