Carlsen - Anand 2014

The very latest International round up of English news.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Carlsen - Anand 2014

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:
David Robertson wrote:It's all over for Anand now. He's run out of road. By the end of the next WC cycle, he'll be 46. That's too old at this level. And I doubt he'd been keen to rejoin a doomed battle with a maturing 25 year old Carlsen anyway, not that Caruana et al will allow him the opportunity.
Probably. But I think he'll continuing playing indefinitely. As far as I know he's not trained to do anything else. And I expect him to remain among the group of leading GMs indefinitely and to fade but slowly.
And he is rich enough not to need to :)

I wonder if going into Indian politics is a possibility? He probably has a better temperament for that sort of thing than Gazza......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote: I wonder if going into Indian politics is a possibility? He probably has a better temperament for that sort of thing than Gazza......
There’s probably a fair few in the world about whom you could say that.

As for Anand retiring from chess and going into politics ... well, fine if he wants to but why? Not exactly the easy life.

On the other hand, he’s hardly going to be short of tournament invitations is he? Mr N. Short is still playing 20 years after an unsuccessful World Championship Challenge why should Anand quit?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Absolutely, Anand probably wants to spend time with his kid, but can play chess at a decent level for a good while

World seniors in 2019 would be great if he had a go - Anand v Gelfand part 2 :lol:

Anand has done brilliantly to stay out of chess politics, but would be great if he could be FIDE President
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Anyway, back to Sochi and report of closing ceremony with Putin
http://www.theweekinchess.com/chessnews ... his-prizes
This time it was Michael Adams (for the human touch), Laurent Fressinet and Jon Ludvig Hammer, all working in Norway in Kragero. Peter Heine Nielsen was Carlsen's man in Sochi and Carlsen also revealed he talked to Kasparov before the match (as one of the few people he could learn from) and that during the match Kasparov gave suggestions to Nielsen. Ian Nepomniachtchi and Vladimir Potkin (working in Sochi on Nepomniachtchi's preparation for the Russian Superfinal) also helped Carlsen. Carlsen also mentioned Pavel Eljanov's help for Chennai 2013.

"He has been a one of the very top players himself so he adds the human perspective." Carlsen on Adams.
Caruana interview
https://chess24.com/en/read/news/caruan ... -much-more
And what’s wrong with the Grand Prix?

Let’s start with the fact that of the four planned tournaments one of them was supposed to take place in Tehran, where not all of the players would be able to travel – for instance Gelfand. I had that option, but the tournament was scheduled for the same time as Zurich, in which I’d already agreed to play. Besides, the first two tournaments were organised almost one after the other, although there were plenty of available dates. At about the same time the Petrosian Memorial was taking place. I’d have liked to take part in it but was unable to because three events in a row is too much. Plus, over the course of half a year there was no information from them until suddenly we got an e-mail with a demand to take a decision in one week. Two venues for the stages have already been changed: Moscow and Tehran became Khanty-Mansiysk and Tbilisi – no consistency. The prize fund was reduced, so that now if you take a second with you it’s almost impossible to earn anything. That’s unprofessional and lowers motivation, leaving only the desire to qualify for the Candidates Tournament. Grand Prix means “big prize”, but the overall prizes for the results of all the tournaments were simply abolished. If you recall, last year the first prize for the winner of the series was $120,000. Plus the prizes for each particular tournament have been reduced: it was $25,000 for first prize and now it’s $20,000.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 pm

I think the world champion should be the human who wins the most games over the length of a calendar year
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 pm

That'll be Roger de Coverly then

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:16 pm

David Robertson wrote:That'll be Roger de Coverly then
:lol:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:48 pm

My stats for 2014 year to date are

As white
played 61 won 32 drawn 13 lost 16

As black
played 55 won 29 drawn 9 lost 17

So overall
played 116 won 61 drawn 22 lost 33

I've mostly avoided titled opposition in the IM/GM sense, the statistics include two draws with IMs as White and a win with Black, not in FIDE rated games though.

Stephen Saunders

Post by Stephen Saunders » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Stephen Saunders wrote:Must admit I would love to see Anatoly Karpov making a comeback and crushing Carlsen....
If that is serious, I'd love to see a Kasparov-Carlsen match! 8)
I honestly think Kasparov would struggle against Carlsen in much the same way as Anand has done, and Karpov - or rather the Karpov of the 90s - would be more of a challenge because of his very different style. But we'll never know.

Thanks to all those who replied re: Leko/Radjabov. I must stop thinking of those two as "kids"; it's horrific how quickly the years fly by when one has reached a certain age!

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Not sure, Kasparov did learn to play against Karpov. It took him a very long time of course, but 48 game matches are good for that :)