European Individual Chess Championship 2015 (Jerusalem)

The very latest International round up of English news.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: European Individual Chess Championship 2015 (Jerusalem)

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 pm

IM norm? That's a GM norm performance he's got there.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Yeah, he is clearly GM-strength. I was trying to work out why he doesn't have an IM title, and I think my poking around the FIDE website found the answer (he has 3 IM norms, but probably not one of the right sort in terms of foreigner requirements). So the GM norm he takes from this event, can he use it to cash in his IM title and also use it as a GM norm for later on? I dunno, maybe they still award IM titles outright to untitled people that win events like this?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Again asking question without spending minutes finding out for yourself, but here is the answer from the FIDE handbook

1.43e

Swiss System tournaments in which participants include in every round at least 20 FIDE Rated players not from the host federation, but from at least 3 federations and at least 10 of whom hold GM, IM, WGM,WIM titles. Otherwise 1.44 applies.

But by looking at his norm certificates direct you to this rule

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Thank-you Alan. I find the FIDE Handbook confusing at the best of times and had spent enough time poking around looking at his norm certificates and had other things to do... It would help to have a flowchart of checklists to follow when considering things like this. Do his norm certificates really direct you to that rule? Oh, I see what you mean. The first one "M.Botvinnik Memorial 2012" says "Special remarks: 1.43e". I'd not noticed that before - thanks for pointing it out. Still not entirely sure, so I guess I will have to do what Alan suggests and spend the next 15 minutes reading this again:

https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html ... ew=article

Right, Alan, it was 1.44 that I was after, so your quote of 1.43 wasn't actually that helpful...

"A maximum of 3/5 of the opponents may come from the applicant’s federation and a maximum of 2/3 of the opponents from one federation."

It is that one that none of his norms satisfies. 6/9 from RUS means his first norm just failed to meet the requirements. The others failed by larger margins. So, Iljiushenok is the Russian equivalent of Jonathan Hawkins! :D

I'm am going to hazard a guess here, though, that Iljiushenok will manage to get the GM title fairly quickly.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:16 pm

Or he could be just doing what Kramnik did and not bother with the IM title

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:15 am

Christopher >Can he then try for a 10-round or 11-round norm? I can never remember how that is better than a 9-round norm when cashing it in for the title.<
You need 27 games in total. Say a player has an 11 game norm + a 9 game one, then he could get a 7 game final norm from the European Club Team Championship, or World Team championship.
Say a player has an 11 round tournament, but exceeds the norm by 3 points. Thus it becomes a 14 game norm. Now he plays a 13 game rournament and achieves a norm. That comes to 27 games.
Thus it rarely matter. You usually need 3 norms from 3 events

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:35 am

Ah, that is much clearer. Thanks, Stewart. Could be a trivia question: who achieved their title(s) using only two norms from two events? (I think the trivia question of who achieved their titles without any norms has been covered before).

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:23 am

Any norm from the Olympiad counts as 20 games. That is much the most common route for a player to get a title from 2 norms.

I did suggest increasing the number of games from 27, but that wasn't received favourably.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:19 am

The Chess.com report indicates that Nepo is deliberately playing very fast in all his games resembling Anand in his early years.

http://www.chess.com/news/nepomniachtch ... to-go-8234

The standings are given at the bottom of the report. David Howell is interestingly in 23rd place but 14 of the players have already pre-qualified for the 2015 World Cup. The tournament regulations state 23 players will qualify so I'm guessing if those 14 are in the top 23 they will go to 37th place although I can't see that being specifically spelt out. If there are a number of qualifiers on the same score that takes it over 23 they will use an easy to understand tie-breaking system as follows:

6. TIE-BREAKING SYSTEM

In case of two or more players finishing with the same number of points, the order will be determined by application of the following tie-breaking procedures in sequence, proceeding from (a) to (b) to (c) to (d) to the extent required:
(a) Average rating of the opponents cut-1, the highest number wins (unplayed games, byes are not calculated);
(b) Buchholz cut-1, the highest number wins;
(c) Buchholz, the highest number wins;
(d) Number of wins, the highest number wins.
In case of unplayed games, for the calculation of (a), (b) and (c), the current FIDE Tournament Rules shall be applied.
In case there are less than 75% rated players, the following criteria will be applied:
(a) Buchholz cut-1, the highest number wins;
(b) Buchholz, the highest number wins;
(c) Number of wins, the highest number wins.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

David now drops down to Board 15 for his Round 9 pairing where he is White against Russian, Evgeny Romanov (2625).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 am

Christopher

I think you need to refer to:
3. 1. Qualifiers - There are 128 qualifiers (in order of priority): World Champion + four (4) semi-finalists from the World Cup 2013, Women's World Champion, World Junior U-20 Champions 2013 & 2014, eighteen (18) rated players as described in 3.1.2, ninety (92) players from Continental Championships, etc
and
3. 1. 2. For the purpose of deciding the 18 rated player qualifiers, as well as any replacements, the average from the following lists will be used: all published ratings of February 2014 to January 2015 divided by twelve (12). In case of equality two decimals will be taken into consideration. If the numbers are still equal then the total number of rated games in the twelve months of 2014 shall be decisive. That means the player with the greater number of games shall qualify. If the numbers are still equal then the February 2015 list shall be decisive. If the Elo in this list is still the same, the player with the greater number of games in the February 2015 list will qualify.
from
WC2015 regulations

My recollection of the Euro qualifiers is they take 23 from the 2014 championship and add another 23 from the 2015 championship, so qualification can go down a long way in this event, but David looks in reasonable shape to qualify
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:17 pm

David Howell so short of time it is painful to watch... :(

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:David Howell so short of time it is painful to watch...(
Dropping in on the game at move 31, his opponent is equally living on the increment. David has an attack, which is always useful in a time scramble, notwithstanding the opinion of the resident chessbomb engine that Black is a little better. At move 33, the engine is saying equal.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

David Howell has managed to survive his time crisis and drew a few moves after the time control. The online engine said Black missed some wins e.g. 29...g6 but I haven't checked it.

So he's still well in the hunt for a qualifying place. I think there's an early start tomorrow (Jewish sabbath) and rest day on Saturday before the final round.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes a decent 1/2 point for David considering he was White. Fortunately he should have Black in the next round but in any event if he can halve in from here he surely will qualify.

Howell, David W L (ENG) - Romanov, Evgeny (RUS)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:06 am

Standings after Rd 9
1= Korobov (UKR 2687), Navara (CZE 2735), Najer (RUS 2634) 7
4= Nepomniachtchi (RUS 2714), Motylev (RUS 2665), Eljanov (UKR 2727), Volokitin (UKR 2646), Sargissian (ARM 2668), Sjugirov (RUS 2678), Iljiushenok (RUS 2450), Bartel (POL 2631), Rodshtein (ISR 2660), Popov (RUS 2639), Khismatullin (RUS 2653) 6.5
15= 27 players including David Howell on 6/9, (on tie breaks he currently lies in 28th place)

Round 10:

Board 15 Yuri Vovk (UKR 2588) v David Howell Howell David (ENG 2663) and the game is underway. http://www.eicc2015.com/live-broadcast/