December 2014 FIDE rating list

The very latest International round up of English news.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: December 2014 FIDE rating list

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: Hard from my iPhone but that looks right to me quite straightforward?
After Rxg3+ and fxg3, the mate is straightforward, but less so after Kxg3. I am following up with Ra3+ and eventually Qg4+ to force the king to f1. Is the quiet non-checking move Rh3 needed to finish off? Am a bit concerned about Black's response of Qe5+ and Qg3. Am hoping the White b-pawn can't get through to promote in some lines where White gives up his queen for the second rook. Ah, the rook on b1 is loose and picked up by a check on f5 after taking the queen on g3, so that's all OK then.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Keith Arkell wrote: and there is room for opinion over which direction to go in.
Not if you're trying to get a system which predicts results as closely as possible there isn't. I though we had reached agreement that this is what we should be trying to do.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:59 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Keith Arkell wrote: and there is room for opinion over which direction to go in.
Not if you're trying to get a system which predicts results as closely as possible there isn't. I though we had reached agreement that this is what we should be trying to do.
If I am reading this post correctly, you are saying that k-factors are now so perfectly set up that any further tinkering with them will inevitably result in a poorer system.
In which case, If you are so sure about that, then what did you mean by this:
NickFaulks wrote:The only question in my mind is whether 2400 is maybe a bit low for the final cutoff

I may be wrong, but this looks like you are saying that it may be better to have a higher k-factor than 10 for players above 2400. Maybe you are not saying that. I'm no sure. Anyway, that is certainly what I've been saying all along.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:54 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
For a number of reasons, which I won't bore people with here, I am quite a lot stronger than I was a year ago, and at some point in my old age the reverse will no doubt become the case.
I know it's not the point that being debated here, but I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing about the reasons for your improvement, myself included.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Nothing earth-shattering, Niall:

1) Booze reduction. That's a big one. When I revert to drinking too much, I lose to 2200s the next morning. It happened thrice this year, costing me 26 ELO points.

2) Motivation - old git's World and Euro titles to play for!

3) Family - my brother is into chess again, along with my niece and nephew, and that extra emotional support counts for a lot.

4) Drugs! Statins and blood pressure tablets, to be precise. I feel a lot calmer and healthier since I started on them a year ago.

However, I still don't work much on my chess between events, and rarely ever prepare - an exception being for friend and rival Mark Hebden, in the World Senior.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:06 pm

"4) Drugs! Statins and blood pressure tablets, to be precise."

I thought statins made me play worse! But it's probably the lack of preparation, work on openings etc.