December 2014 FIDE rating list

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: December 2014 FIDE rating list

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Nick, do you think there needs to be a way to 'reset' ratings if someone comes in at a low or high grade that is inaccurate and the system is taking a long time to 'correct' that even though a player is getting consistent results over a long period of time?
For a rating that's too low, no. For one that's too high, because of a freak initial rating or a long layoff, then just maybe, but such cases are very rare.

The one caveat to all of my comments is that the system only works well if federations submit games for rating. We hear complaints that a player with a FIDE rating of 1700 has an ECF grade, based on unrated games, suggesting that he's worth 2000. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do about that ( except possibly relax the 40 move time control rule ).
Last edited by NickFaulks on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Richard Bates wrote: (i dunno, maybe if someone gains/doesn't lose rating points in 6 successive lists including a minimum number of games, then their rating could be 'reset' on the basis of their performance over those games or something)
I see the point, but the new system has only been in place for five months, so why don't we see how it works before thinking about new bells and whistles which may well turn out not to be necessary?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:05 pm

I thought the testing was supposed to show how it will work... In the meantime, tests could be run to see what the likely effects of these other proposals would be. Were such things even considered by those producing the reports or doing the testing?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I'm not sure what we're supposed to do about that ( except possibly relax that 40 move time control rule ).
Three and a half hours would permit weekend Congress games to be rated and three hours would permit evening League games. Forty moves isn't really the problem, length of session however is and for that matter a lot of other FIDE baggage. Can't legally leave your phone in a jacket pocket? No thanks. County games at weekends could already be rated, but there's all that stuff about arbiters being present, even ignoring the ECF's own discouragement of additional membership requirements.

Did the arbiter not present question ever get resolved?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:14 pm

NickFaulks wrote: For a rating that's too low, no.
You will find players opposed to you on this. Having rating points taken away because opponents have not been revalued towards their true strength brings discredit to the rating system.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: For a rating that's too low, no.
You will find players opposed to you on this. Having rating points taken away because opponents have not been revalued towards their true strength brings discredit to the rating system.
You're starting from the position that the new system doesn't work, and nothing I say will change that belief. As usual, we cannot have a discussion.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:43 pm

NickFaulks wrote: You're starting from the position that the new system doesn't work, and nothing I say will change that belief.
Do we both accept that FIDE went ahead with extending the ratings down to 1000 without having a plan in place to deal with rapidly improving players? As far as I can see, many national Elo based systems have had to put in some sort of fix to deal with the problem. Even the non-Elo based Clarke system used by the BCF had run into this problem by the late 1960s and came up with an award of free points for playing juniors to cope with it. FIDE's solution has been to change the K factor to 20 and then double it for young players until they get to around FM standard. Will it be enough? After six months, obviously unproven. Does it increase the volatility of ratings? Almost certainly.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01 am

Richard Bates wrote: i agree that their is a danger that changes (upwards) might be made for 'excitement'.

I think where i would see Keith's argument as flawed is where he is effectively comparing two methods - 6 monthly lists and monthly lists and only considering how they compare at their common intersections - ie. the six monthly point. In other words he is considering two lists both published six monthly, but calculated differently (with i suppose unofficial, unpublished ratings for the monthly methodology).

The six monthly lists had the great danger that significantly 'mis-rated' individuals could play a lot of games, but massively "overshoot" their true level of strength (which could then be replicated in the other direction if they played a lot of games in the next period etc...). However against that they also offered the protection that isolated extreme performance would have less effect on those who's ratings were roughly accurate - the lengthy time between lists meant that the good performances would be balanced by the bad.

Monthly/very frequent lists offer almost completely the opposite danger. On the one hand there is little danger of "overshoot", but greater chance of 'noise' from natural variation in performance distorting the accuracy of ratings. For an obvious example at the top Caruana has shown that it is still possible to gain significant points with K10. K20 he might have been on the verge of 2900! What excitement!

So when comparing K-factors on 6 monthly vs 1 monthly lists leads to the following points on accuracy.
- Individuals with "accurate" ratings (if there is such a thing as an 'accurate' rating) arguably "should" have much lower K-factors on monthly lists compared to 6-monthly lists to control the increased distortions cause by natural variation.
- Individuals who are 'mis-rated' "should" have higher K-factors (although this needs to be given the proviso that they did not play so many games under 6 monthly lists that they were 'over-shooters' and needed a reduction any way).

Keith's argument seems to be based solely on the theoretical cases of the latter individuals (who are far less likely to exist at higher rating levels). Whereas the actual K-factor should be a balance to best align with the actual population of the rating pool (which is presumably why it is higher at lower levels - the influence of the 'mis-rated' individuals is far greater).
I'd like to think that if/when FIDE adopt 'changes(upwards)' (ie k-factor 20 where it is currently 10) it's motive will be to correctly rate 'mis-rated individuals' more quickly, while putting up with the disadvantageous by product of more 'excitement', rather than because it (wrongly) sees 'excitement' as beneficial.

Richard may be overly concerned about the effect of 'noise from natural variation in performance' by players with 'accurate ratings', ie 'excitement'. I like to back up my arguments with examples, so let's imagine that an 'accurately rated' 2500 IM creates some 'excitement' by making a GM norm ( 2600 performance) in a 9 round tournament. I can hardly be accused of using a far-fetched example this time, so, lets see what effect these 9 games would have on his rating, were k-factor 20 to be in operation: New monthly rating 2525. Is that really too much 'excitement'? He is now 25 points over-rated, so there will be a slight pull back towards 2500 in his subsequent games.

I would argue that this 'excitement' is a price worth paying in order to more quickly correctly rate mis-rated players.

On a more whimsical level, here is a thought experiment to define an 'accurately rated player': let us imagine that there are 1000 universes, duplicated in every way except that the player takes on a different opponent in each. The strength of his opposition is evenly spread, from those significantly stronger than himself all the way down to those significantly weaker. What's more, let us assume, even though this may be logically impossible, that in each of the duplicated universes, the player has free will. If the player's resulting performance from the 1000 games is the same as the rating he currently has, then he is an 'accurately rated player' :)

As a total digression, can you calculate how I, with Black, finished off my round 3 opponent, Johan Salomon(2343), here at the London Classic Open? W Qe1,Rb1, Nc6,Kg2,ps h4,g3,f2,d4,b5. B Qf5 Rs a3,a8,Kg7,ps h5,g6,f7,e6. Jack, or anyone, can you make this into a diagram for me please!

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:40 am

Black to play

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:44 am

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:

Black to play
Quick work Brendan, I saw the end of this on the LCC live site so won't spoil people's fun, but certainly a brilliant finish from Keith.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Keith Arkell wrote: On a more whimsical level, here is a thought experiment to define an 'accurately rated player': let us imagine that there are 1000 universes, duplicated in every way except that the player takes on a different opponent in each. The strength of his opposition is evenly spread, from those significantly stronger than himself all the way down to those significantly weaker. What's more, let us assume, even though this may be logically impossible, that in each of the duplicated universes, the player has free will. If the player's resulting performance from the 1000 games is the same as the rating he currently has, then he is an 'accurately rated player' :)
What is "whimsical" about this? It is precisely the approach which has been backworked in the immense body of statistical analysis that was carried out ahead of the recent overhaul, and which produced the results which you insist are wrong.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:

Black to play
I presume .... Rxg3?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:24 pm

NickFaulks wrote:results which you insist are wrong.
'Insist are wrong'? I haven't seen them, but my maths, using the rating calculator on the FIDE website, also isn't wrong. I though we'd got as far as weighing up reducing 'noise' or 'excitement' re correctly rated players, versus more speedily correctly rating mis-rated players, and there is room for opinion over which direction to go in.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:

Black to play
I presume .... Rxg3?
No comment yet Carl. I want all the variations :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:

Black to play
I presume .... Rxg3?
No comment yet Carl. I want all the variations :)
Hard from my iPhone but that looks right to me quite straightforward?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard