Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Angus French wrote: And, this section of commentary tickled me:

The story of BCF taking actions against people publicly stating opinions dates from much earlier. Simeon Stoichkov, one of the implicated in the national press conference that revealed the report of the National Agency for Financial Inspection, has actually been banned before for having a chess forum! We cannot emphasize how ridiculous that sounds in a democratic and free society in the internet era.
Are there not elements within the ECF who would like to do the same if they thought they had the power and thought they could get away with it.

Actually just as a hypothetical, if the ECF did take such action against its critics, what actions could the individuals suspended take against the ECF?
Angus French wrote: (If it ends up as a two-horse race between Ilyumzhinov and Danailov, which one will the ECF back? It's got to choose one, right?)
In those special circumstances a very public declaration of "none of the above" would be in order. In retrospect, that should have been its position for the ECU election.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: In those special circumstances a very public declaration of "none of the above" would be in order. In retrospect, that should have been its position for the ECU election.
Agreed :oops:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Ye gods. If it's those two standing, I might enter the race myself.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Meanwhile Danailov's Twitter account (from which I find I'm blocked) is doing rats and rabid dogs.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:55 pm

This guy isn't at all well.

To be fair, nor is his Turkish counterpart.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:57 am

Open letter by GM Kiril Georgiev To Mr Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.

President of FIDE Mr Ilyumzhinov

In the last few months, a number of facts and documents, which charge the management of Bulgarian Chess Federation with financial abuse and
forging of chess competitions became well-known.

On May 28th this year, me and my colleagues Metody Stoinev and the organizer of one of the biggest childrens chess competitions in country-Simeon Stoichkov have tried to acquaint the sports community with some of them. During a press conference, we quoted data and facts from a formal document of the Agency of country financial inspection which were asserted during the last check made by its representatives, and we took up a position that in 2014 at our sea resorts Albena and Golden sands have not been held chess competitions by the name of European Cup of classic chess for men and women about which the management of Bulgarian Chess Federation has presented claim to the Ministry of Youth and Sports and has received 447 thousand levs (approximately 225 thousand euro).

This is well-known by all chess players in the world. Such competitions didn't figure in the official calendar of European chess union. At the same time the traditional open tournaments in which me and Metody Stoinev played were held at these places. 35 chess players from all over the world took part in them and the tournament in Golden sands resort was even won by Aksel Bahman (Paraguay).

Because of the fact that we have taken part in a press conference, have said a truth, we wanted to know why financial means have been diverted illegally, we were sanctioned without somebody to call us, to ask, to give us an opportunity to state our point of view, even to defend ourselves. Such thing cannot happen anywhere. Even those who are sentenced to death have the right of defence.

We were sanctioned on a meeting of Bulgarian Chess Federation held on June 5th this year and our sanction come into force from now. In this way we didn't have the opportunity to play in the last round of country team championship held on June 6th in the morning. I am six-times champion of Bulgaria, I have took part in 15 chess olympic games, more than 30 years I uphold the honour of my country in different chess competitions. And when I am about to celebrate my 50 - anniversary, I receive as a prize the worst punishment that can ever be put on a professional chess player-not to play chess.

Mr President, I beg you for your adequate and timely interference. I hope that in FIDE and ECU there are people who know that competitions named European Cup of classic chess for men and women in 2014 in Bulgaria have not been held. This is so easy to be proved. I beg you to ask the chairperson of rating commission of FIDE whether such tournaments have been processed or not. For all who have any grasp of chess that should be a clear evidence.

Are there any other evidence about their carrying out in the International Federation, about financial violations of the management of Bulgarian Chess Federation was approached the public prosecutor's office of republic of Bulgaria. A preliminary inquiry is conducted now in order to hinder Danailov and company who threaten and punish everyone who knows the truth. We are not the first sanctioned. On April 25th this year the vice-president of chess club” Michail Botvinnik’ -Orlin Nikolov-was also sanctioned.

Mr Ilymzhinov,

The truth can't be stopped with sanctions. We keep our word firmly because we haven't done any violation. But someone is afraid of the truth coming up on the surface. I hope for your fast and adequate reaction. We are going to seek redress in court but until it pronounce a sentence (a summer vacation is imminent) a lot of time will pass. I hope that by your firm actions all attempts for falsification of chess competitions and using chess for personal benefits will be nipped in the bud.

Sincerely yours,
Grandmaster Kiril Georgiev

Postscript: A certain irony appealing to this guy for help to fight corruption allegations. Not sure whether of the timing of the two events but Danailov has just formally announced he will be running for FIDE President in 2018 "I will fight against 'Macro and friends' FIDE. They are a cancer that is eating at chess. It will not be easy, but making Veselin world champion was not easy either, and took 13 years. I hope we will be victorious more quickly this time." http://chess-news.ru/en/node/19202

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:29 am

Follow up interview from Kiril Georgiev who is clearly not going to take the ban lying down.

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/19204

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:22 pm

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:38 am

It's the Polgar site, so treat it with caution, but it appears the Bulgarian Federation doesn't have player support.

https://chessdailynews.com/massive-revo ... ederation/

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:05 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:It's the Polgar site
Isn't it mostly Chessdom?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:11 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:It's the Polgar site
Isn't it mostly Chessdom?
I was wondering that. The Susan Polgar site news more or less cuts & pastes all its stuff from Chessdom so is it that site Roger you are effectively saying is untrustworthy?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:55 am

Chris Rice wrote: The Susan Polgar site news more or less cuts & pastes all its stuff from Chessdom so is it that site Roger you are effectively saying is untrustworthy?
As you say, the Polgar site just pastes material from anyone and anywhere. If the original is from chessdom, they have local sources.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:28 pm

The sold-the-chairs bit is magnificent.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:00 pm

There's possibly gold as well as a tradition in them there chairs -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Chairs

For an American comedy movie take on which see -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve ... 1970_film)