FIDE Registration

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mike Truran

New regulations for registration and licensing of players

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:02 pm

From the FIDE website......
New regulations for registration and licensing approved by PB4/2014 come to effect on 1st April. Please note that from 1st April, all new players registered must give an email address to be properly registered. That means all new (non-registered) players in tournaments that will be rated after March 31st have to have an email address. Failure to do so will mean that the tournament will not be rated.

Michalis Kaloumenos
Chairman of FIDE Online Commission
I have no clue as to whether there is any significance in the implementation date.

NickFaulks

FIDE Registration

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:11 pm

I do not know what Kaloumenos intends to do with your email address, but I would be very sympathetic to anyone who thought it might be something that they would prefer not to be done. For now, there is nothing to suggest that you cannot use the federation's email address, or indeed [email protected]. If you want to send a message, you could try something along the lines of [email protected]. If I hear of any measures to deter such behaviour I shall post again.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Re: New regulations for registration and licensing of players

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:12 pm

Sorry, I just started a similar topic. Can we combine somehow?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Bak

Re: FIDE Registration

Post by Andrew Bak » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:13 pm

An elaborate April Fools?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:16 pm

No

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Isn't this something of a climbdown? I thought they were planning to require passport details, bank statements, and personal medical records.

And while I'm on the matter, e-mail is sooo yesterday. Young people, certainly in US & UK, are shifting onto other platforms (eg Facebook,Twitter, Snapchat). They may not have email accounts.
Last edited by David Robertson on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Topics merged.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm

NickFaulks quoting Michalis Kaloumenos wrote: Please note that from 1st April, all new players registered must give an email address to be properly registered. That means all new (non-registered) players in tournaments that will be rated after March 31st have to have an email address.
Do we assume the FIDE President has given this his blessing?

It's easily circumvented by giving a fake, unused or something else's address. But what is it about chess officials that they delight in finding ways to discourage participation in chess events?
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:25 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Topics merged.
Thanks, thought I had got in a mess doing the same on my phone then!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Do we assume the FIDE President has given this his blessing?
You always say that, and I always reply that I don't imagine he has the vaguest idea of what is going on. I expect somebody said it would be a good idea if FIDE knew its members' email addresses so it could communicate with them, and he said yes that did sound like a good idea.

This is not about discouraging chess, it is about getting hold of a potentially valuable database. If it is then abused, I would be very surprised if FIDE, or its President, saw the benefit.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:52 pm

That probably makes sense - there is at least a plausible reason for doing it. The English bridge union gets e-mails when you register, because you then register with a few online services they do etc. ECF do too, for the charging of course.

Having said that, I can't imagine this going down anything other than awfully. Might actually want to be slightly careful about fakes just in case they'll be using it to confirm registrations as being authentic....

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:00 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:That probably makes sense - there is at least a plausible reason for doing it. The English bridge union gets e-mails when you register, because you then register with a few online services they do etc. ECF do too, for the charging of course.

Having said that, I can't imagine this going down anything other than awfully. Might actually want to be slightly careful about fakes just in case they'll be using it to confirm registrations as being authentic....
That is certainly the plan, but it may take a while to implement. Is it really true that you cannot be an ECF or EBU member without supplying an email address?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:01 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I expect somebody said it would be a good idea if FIDE knew its members' email addresses
As we are reminded every time there is a FIDE election, FIDE is a organisation whose members are national Federations. As such FIDE already should know its members' email addresses and if it wants to communicate directly with the world of chess players, it can do so through national Federations.

But as David Robertson points out, not everyone has an email address. That's both the traditionalists who won't have anything to do with computers or similar devices and youngsters who have moved on to other forms of personal communication. As any email address that becomes circulated becomes a target for advertising , phishing and other malware, there are good reasons for non-disclosure.

The Commission presumably responsible for this are here
http://www.fide.com/fide/directory/fide ... =committee

Rating regulations are under the Qualification Commission
http://www.fide.com/fide/directory/fide ... =committee

I would have thought random threats not to rate tournaments should be at least in part a responsibility of the Qualification Commission.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:05 pm

NickFaulks wrote: That is certainly the plan, but it may take a while to implement. Is it really true that you cannot be an ECF or EBU member without supplying an email address?
There are various routes to being an ECF member without disclosing a personal email address. The ECF has been very cautious about making use of the addresses it has harvested. Perhaps it realises that it hasn't actually got an address that will link to an individual's attention as opposed to a spam trap.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I would have thought random threats not to rate tournaments should be at least in part a responsibility of the Qualification Commission.
As you can imagine, I have made that point with considerable force.

We should not forget that for FIDE to have a way to communicate with individual players is in principle not a bad thing. Stewart Reuben has argued for years that it would be nice, for instance, to be able to send a personal note of congratulation to players who have gained a title. What is objectionable and unnecessary is the element of compulsion. You would not make this compulsory unless you were intending to abuse the data.