ACO WORLD AMATEUR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Gilbert

ACO WORLD AMATEUR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by David Gilbert » Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 am

I got back from playing at the World Amateur Chess Championships at the Helona Resort in Kos last night. This is the one organised by the Amateur Chess Organisation (ACO). It’s a beach holiday combined with chess. There are seven sections. Nine rounds in total, five morning only days and two days with double rounds. There’s a rest day in the middle with an organised coach tour, culminating in a Greek-style party on the dining room terrace. All bouzouki and sousta! There were 240 entries from 29 countries, but about 50% were from Germany. Lots of players came with their partners, so I’d guess overall numbers reached around 350. Just a tiny number of juniors, largely from Poland. Games are not rated. Grades for determining which section you play are based on the higher of your FIDE or national grades at the moment of entering. There’s a discount of at least €150 for early entry.

This year there were Blitz events in the evening, if you enjoy that sort of thing. A Greek and a German Grand Master gave Simuls one night. The Greek GM was available to give post-match analysis of games, and he also gave several lectures (although I found these a little dull). Everything was conducted in English (sometimes repeated in German), even though the British contingent was small, and one of them resides in Berlin. We were able to wave the flag for Cambridge’s Stephen Pride, the most prolific standard play chess player in England, who finished on equal points with the Latvian winner of the 1601-1800 section, only losing out on a ‘World Title’ by the tiebreaker.

The Helona (translates to Turtle) Resort is the best foreign Hotel I’ve experienced by a long chalk. The rooms are immaculate and the food is amazing. In fact the food fits the super-excellent category. The biggest cheer at the awards presentation was for the Chef! There’s a huge swimming pool, although you can pay extra and have a small private pool or share one with two other rooms. The beach, which is fine without being great, is about three minutes walk from the Reception. This was the 4th ACO World Amateur Championships, with previous venues in Rhodes, Crete and Dubai. Next year the ACO will break with the hopping around tradition and return to the same Hotel in Kos (it really is that good), starting on 7 May 2016. They are also going to allow up to two half-point byes next year.

I’m already on the “probable” list and I couldn’t make a higher recommendation. I’d say give this serious thought for a holiday next year.

http://amateurchess.com

Alan Walton

Re: ACO WORLD AMATEUR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by Alan Walton » Tue May 19, 2015 11:27 am

I played the equivalent event back in 2013 in Crete, and I have to agree that the hotels and organization was very good

Unfortunately, back then they didn't really advertise clearly that it wasn't FIDE rated, and for me it puts me off from playing this event again

From what I gather there is an argument between FIDE and ACO using the title World Amatuer Championship, hence FIDE will not rate the event

Apart from all this, if you want a decent holiday and play chess with the proviso that you don't mind it not being FIDE rated then I would definitely recommend the event

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed May 20, 2015 3:29 am

The World Amateur Championship recognised by FIDE was introduced in Hastings in 1995. After some years it started to go around the world as it still does.
ACO are passing their event off, so of course it is not FIDE Rated. They should call it by a different name.

The World Open Championship has taken place in the US in July since about 1970. Again this does not have official FIDE status. You won't find it in the FIDE Calendar of offiial events. But FIDE have never shown any interest in such an event. The USCF certainly has squatters rights here. It is FIDE Rated and it is possible to get title norms at the event.

The World Major U2350 Championship was held in Scarborough in 2004 as part of the celebrations for the Centenary of the BCF. It has never been repeated. Some thought World Major might be confusing, so perhaps World Intermediate might be better. I chose World Major because it replaced the Major Open for the one year.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Mon May 25, 2015 12:05 am

ACO used to have a chess playing site
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri May 29, 2015 9:42 pm

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri May 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Fantastic pictures Brendan. You’ve really captured the aura of the event. I especially liked the one of Stephen Pride with his trophy. Perhaps he should be nominated the Forum’s Player of the year. After all he is the most prolific player in English chess and now a Vice-World Champion - how many people can say that - but absolutely it’s the hat that's the clincher!