2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

The very latest International round up of English news.
Stewart Reuben

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 am

I have no expertise in programming. Also I am not a member of the QC.
But you did not answer my question. The rules for norms are not complex. A good programmer could be hired to underke the task.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:27 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Nick F> There is a hope that one day norms from all events reported for rating will be discovered automatically, but this is a very substantial task. <

That used to be true, but why is it still today for the norms? All games are sent in for rating. The rating information is put into the system. Why not also have a program to identify all norm? The direct titles are another, separate issue.
I remember Geurt and I discussing whether a substantial number of norms were overlooked by the federations. We agreed that, at the time, there must have been quite a large number never noticed.
There is software out there which comes close.

The Vega pairing system (FIDE approved) will generate a report which goes some way to what is required -
Vega User's Manual wrote:3. Find Norm produces the file fidenorm.txt containing a list of players and their performance relative to various title norms (GM, IM, WGM, WIM). Moreover, a grid is displayed with the same info.
4. Tournament statistics. This reports general statistics of the tournament to the file
tourstat.txt. It contains the number of federations, number of rated and unrated FIDE
players, titled players, etc.
5. Norm certificate IT1: saves the files fidenormID=NasX.txt (in text format) and
fidenormID=NasX.qtf (in qtf format) containing the FIDE norm certificates: N is the
player ID, and X is the sought norm (GM, IM, WGM, WIM).
WARNING: Vega performs the calculation regarding the rating and produces a detailed
report. It is responsibility of the Arbiter to check that all the FIDE requests are present in
order to validate the certificate (i.e. number of unrated, number of titled players, etc...).
6. Statistics: saves the file tourstat.txt containing useful information about the tournament.
7. Tournament certificate IT3: produces the file FIDE-IT3.qtf containing statistical information on the tournament.
8. Import tournament in FIDE format: can import the data tournament made by another program.

I'm guessing that "8. Import tournament in FIDE format" could be combined with "3. Find Norm" and "5. Norm certificate IT1" etc to get a fair part of the way there.

The Italian author of the software is an FA as well as a programmer and is responsive to requests from registered users of his software.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:15 am

Vega User's Manual wrote: WARNING: Vega performs the calculation regarding the rating and produces a detailed
report. It is responsibility of the Arbiter to check that all the FIDE requests are present in
order to validate the certificate (i.e. number of unrated, number of titled players, etc...).
While I'm sure this is a useful piece of work, the warning is the point. It only does the easy part, which anyone can do on the back of an envelope.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Daniel is currently playing in the Budapest spring open; round 4 live

Board 52, not on the live boards, sees Andy v Jamie Horton :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Daniel is currently playing in the Budapest spring open; round 4 live

Interested to see Daniel rolling out the London system against the Serbian GM. Recall that when I played Daniel a few years back - in M'cr League B Division (!?) - he squashed me with the London without much effort.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:50 am

AustinElliott wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Daniel is currently playing in the Budapest spring open; round 4 live

Interested to see Daniel rolling out the London system against the Serbian GM. Recall that when I played Daniel a few years back - in M'cr League B Division (!?) - he squashed me with the London without much effort.
Daniel drew yesterday and is now in a tie for 7= with 3/4. He's got a 2144 in Round 5 so he's going to need to win that, one assumes. https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2017/4/1/7
Last edited by Chris Rice on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Daniel's game in Rd 5 is showing as 1-0 to his opponent without moves.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 pm

John Moore wrote:Daniel's game in Rd 5 is showing as 1-0 to his opponent without moves.
Yeah I saw the same on Chessbomb John, guess he may have withdrawn? Hopefully we'll hear from Daniel when he gets back.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi Chris - I thought of e-mailing the organisers in a spirit of enquiry (nosiness?) but Hungarian is not my strong suit.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 pm

John Moore wrote:Hi Chris - I thought of e-mailing the organisers in a spirit of enquiry (nosiness?) but Hungarian is not my strong suit.
I expect their English is more than adequate.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm

I expect so as well, but it's a bit much to expect everyone outside these islands to have "more than adequate" English.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 pm

I expect its a simple error. I'll try emailing Daniel.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
John Moore wrote:Daniel's game in Rd 5 is showing as 1-0 to his opponent without moves.
Yeah I saw the same on Chessbomb John, guess he may have withdrawn? Hopefully we'll hear from Daniel when he gets back.
Not a withdrawal, because he's been paired in round 6 after defaulting in round 5.

DFernandez

Post by DFernandez » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks all for the support

I wasn't able to play round 5 due to splitting headaches that kept me up the whole of the previous night. I emailed the organisers yesterday morning and they said they understood and would pair me for future rounds if things improved. They also told my opponent, so he didn't have to wait around for the full hour. I managed to get a nap during round 5 so I said I'd play round 6 (today). I have also now had a full night's sleep although it remains to be seen how well I will play!

Obviously as a consequence I can't make a norm, nor will I (probably) win a prize, so I'm not thrilled but it had to be done.

The Horton derby was interesting- about time one happened given the number of times I've had to play Michael in events!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:57 am

Good to see Dan winning in round 6

Andy Horton drew with a 2435 rated FM
Any postings on here represent my personal views