2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Mick Norris

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:08 pm

That's good news

I assume he has to reach 2500 rating yet as well as get a 3rd norm
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Mick Norris wrote:That's good news

I assume he has to reach 2500 rating yet as well as get a 3rd norm
Yes, that's correct, he only reached 2400 for the first time in the August 2014 list.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:25 pm

His current rating is 2447, and I assume the results from this tournament in Norway will get into the July rating list, so he should bump up a bit towards 2500. Will be good news if he can get the third norm and rating. Is he receiving any support from ECF or chess organisations?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:His current rating is 2447, and I assume the results from this tournament in Norway will get into the July rating list, so he should bump up a bit towards 2500. Will be good news if he can get the third norm and rating. Is he receiving any support from ECF or chess organisations?
I suspect not but he did only transfer from Singapore to England on 23rd March 2015 http://ratings.fide.com/fedchange.phtml?year=2015 so he may not have been eligible for John Robinson Trust funding prior to that. He's currently 20 and so it probably won't be until next year that he would be considered by The Friends of Chess (when too old for JRT funding). He may receive local support though.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Note that Daniel has achieved this while (or I suppose 'just after') completing his first year as a Mathematics undergraduate at Cambridge.... itself something of a UK chess tradition.

Anyway, well done Daniel.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:01 pm

The Guardian reports on Dan Fernandez's success, and also gives a link to the Winton Capital British Solving Championship:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/j ... week-chess
What really puzzled me was how a non-Scandinavian, 2400ish IM managed to gain inclusion in a not too fierce all-play-all with, from a norm candidate's viewpoint, an almost ideal plus 3 (6/9) target. Such events are gold dust for the English norm seeker, who usually has to make do with opens, the 4NCL and the very rare English apa like Big Slick. For me it brought back memories of the 1977 Lord John Cup, the only international apa I ever organised, where I managed to find the only possible combination of ten players on the Fide list (which was then a few pages typed by Professor Elo) to give a plus 2 target and thus a realistic chance of three GM norms. If Lawrence or Mick can explain how Dan did it-not quite as hard as actually scoring the points, but still an achievement-I'd be interested to know.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:11 pm

Looking back at the tournament cross-table provided earlier:

http://www.vismachess.com/results-2015/ ... roup-2015/

They appear to have let a German IM get a GM norm as well. Maybe the Scandinavians are just generous? More seriously, there were three Swedish IMs playing and four Swedish players in total. Would having more Swedish players have make norm-seeking impossible? Maybe they needed that many from outside Sweden to get the right mix? Still, not sure how you would then put the other players together. Has anyone tried to work out optimum APA norm-seeking tournaments using current ENG players? Is there some algorithm that you can just put ratings into to work it out?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Four non-Swedish players would have been enough for norms to be available; they in fact had six.

I suspect the answer might have been something as simple as "the first seven appropriate-strength norm-seekers to apply got in", or something like that.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:28 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:The Guardian reports on Dan Fernandez's success, and also gives a link to the Winton Capital British Solving Championship:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/j ... week-chess
What really puzzled me was how a non-Scandinavian, 2400ish IM managed to gain inclusion in a not too fierce all-play-all with, from a norm candidate's viewpoint, an almost ideal plus 3 (6/9) target. Such events are gold dust for the English norm seeker, who usually has to make do with opens, the 4NCL and the very rare English apa like Big Slick. For me it brought back memories of the 1977 Lord John Cup, the only international apa I ever organised, where I managed to find the only possible combination of ten players on the Fide list (which was then a few pages typed by Professor Elo) to give a plus 2 target and thus a realistic chance of three GM norms. If Lawrence or Mick can explain how Dan did it-not quite as hard as actually scoring the points, but still an achievement-I'd be interested to know.
No idea, but it may have been as simple as the organisers looking for a player and him looking for a tournament. When I used to run my norm events (before increasing FIDE costs and the abolition of the 2 GMs instead of 3 IMs etc rule made them too expensive) I would list the event on the FIDE calendar and advertise on Facebook for players. Finding players was never a problem, finding enough players prepared to pay a large entry fee and their own expenses was. Without a sponsor or a money making open alongside I fear there won't be many FIDE rated all-play-alls with norm opportunities in England for the foreseeable future but I hope to be proven wrong.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Daniel has been offered financial support in Britain before. Indeed, for Hastings 2014-2015 , he would have been more 'useful' for his opponents as SIN. But he turned down the invitation to that event.
England have quite a large number of players who have either one or two GM norms, but have not succeeded in completing the requirements.
Generally it is financially easier in Britain to put on a Swiss than a round robin.
The Friends of Chess always helps these events, as far as it is able. Recently it has become ECF policy also to help. John Robinson money can only be used for players U21. I also hold a tranche of money from time to time, some of which is used for this purpose.
Look out for 2-10 April 2016.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Look out for 2-10 April 2016.
Thanks Stewart! In direct competition with our 4NCL congress, despite us already being published in the ECF diary and despite our exchanges on the matter.

Also in direct conflict with next year's Edinburgh congress (which I recall also telling you about).

Much appreciated. :roll:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:51 pm

Mike >Also in direct conflict with next year's Edinburgh congress (which I recall also telling you about).

The message about Edinburgh never got through to me hitherto.
When I realised the clash with the 4NCL weekend tournament, I contacted you immediately.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:11 pm

You did indeed. And despite my telling you that we already have a firm contract in place for our 4NCL congress you seem to have ignored what I told you and pressed on with your own event regardless.

I also specifically told you that we had moved to our dates because the Edinburgh congress was unable to move from the weekend following the 4NCL congress. You seem to have ignored (or forgotten) that as well, and decided to park your tank on both our lawns.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:16 am

To be fair, it is really difficult these days to avoid clashes with such a crowded chess calendar (although it does seem a bit of a shame to clash with one of the few FIDE rated events around). But no doubt you have the same constraints as other organisers with things like venue availability.

Anyway, good luck with your event, which I'm sure will be a worthy addition to the chess calendar. :D