Bilbao Masters

The very latest International round up of English news.
Barry Sandercock

Re: Bilbao Masters

Post by Barry Sandercock » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Giri winning now (m0ve 23)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:Giri winning now (move 23)
Just got home. Can anyone explain whether Anand really played 25...Re2?? (as indicated by both chess24 and chessdom) and Giri didn't take the R?

It seems the score must be incorrect?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:52 pm

But how else would the rook then get to a2?

I find it odd that Anand gave up when he did.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:58 pm

JustinHorton wrote:But how else would the rook then get to a2?

I find it odd that Anand gave up when he did.
Seems like White's 24th move has been corrected (Qa5 not Qb5).

Gustafsson thinks Vishy lost on time.

He also points out that Giri is certain to qualify for the Candidates now.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Yeah, both of those would make sense. Chess24.com has been a bit funny in the last couple of days, especially where clocks were concerned. I couldn't follow Ding-Giri at all yesterday, it wouldn't update.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:14 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Yeah, both of those would make sense. Chess24.com has been a bit funny in the last couple of days, especially where clocks were concerned. I couldn't follow Ding-Giri at all yesterday, it wouldn't update.
I think they had (still have?) a problem with the sensory boards in Bilbao.
The same nonsense moves were shown there that i commented upon at the time; somebody fixed it and then at move 119 the board stopped working. Can't blame the chess24 people in Hamburg for this, as they just get a relay.

Bilbao coverage was flaky last year too. At the crisis in the Ding-Giri game it was shockingly bad.

They had three cameras on the board from different angles (none of which showed the position clearly or the clock at all visibly) but most of the time they were just showing Leonxto Garcia & co packing up as if their work was already done. (No overtime pay there evidently.) And the tv coverage was just on "Auto" switching between these views.
Tim Harding

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Tim Harding wrote: Can anyone explain whether Anand really played 25...Re2?? (as indicated by both chess24 and chessdom) and Giri didn't take the R?

It seems the score must be incorrect?
JustinHorton wrote:But how else would the rook then get to a2?
The score was originally given as 24 Qa5, Kh7; 25 Qb5, Re2; 26 g4, Ra2; 27 f3, Re8.

This has now been corrected to 24 Qa5, Kh7; 25 f3, Re2; 26 Qb5, Ra2; 27 g4, Re8, which is of course far more plausible.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:29 am

It is, though it begs the question of how the White moves came to appear in the wrong order.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 am

JustinHorton wrote:It is, though it begs the question of how the White moves came to appear in the wrong order.
If the link to the electronic boards broke down maybe the moves were manually added to the pgn file (and thus incorrectly transcribed)?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:21 pm

JustinHorton wrote:It is, though it begs the question of how the White moves came to appear in the wrong order.
Angus French wrote:If the link to the electronic boards broke down maybe the moves were manually added to the pgn file (and thus incorrectly transcribed)?
If contact is lost temporarily between the DGT board and the controlling computer, the system guesses how to reach the position on the board when contact is restored. Sometimes it gets it wrong.

Something similar to the Bilbao incident occurred one year at the London Chess Classic, when McShane appeared to have missed a trivial win of a pawn against Carlsen.

Resouurces permitting, it's good arbiting practice to check the live feed against the players' scoresheets immediately the game finishes.

It looks as though the Bilbao arbiters did that.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:23 pm

It would be quite at interesting job at DGT to be honest.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:23 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Angus French wrote:If the link to the electronic boards broke down maybe the moves were manually added to the pgn file (and thus incorrectly transcribed)?
If contact is lost temporarily between the DGT board and the controlling computer, the system guesses how to reach the position on the board when contact is restored. Sometimes it gets it wrong.
That's interesting, thanks. Problem is of course that once you know that, you're all the time going to be wondering if what you're seeing is really what happened...
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com