Interview with Levon Aronian

The very latest International round up of English news.
Paolo Casaschi

Re: Interview with Levon Aronian

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: To be fair, you should ask the same question to the people claiming to see cheaters everywhere without a shred of evidence either.
If they quoted numbers I would certainly challenge them.

The more I think about it, the odder his comment becomes. How many people does he think have been caught? If it isn't ten, and I can't think of ten, then he is saying there is precisely one at large. He only has to name this person and the problem will be eradicated.
In this interview, K Regan does not quote numbers but provides a very clear view on the subject:
http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12677/763
I’m just seeing the numbers. I’ll tell you, people are doing it
About Aronian, you could just read the statement as his personal opinion; after all in the interview he was asked for exactly that, his opinion on the matter of chess cheating. For someone that does not have any official role in writing the rules and catching cheaters it's acceptable to express an option (of course it would be a different matter for an official in charge of a cheating commission to act on personal opinions).

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: To be fair, you should ask the same question to the people claiming to see cheaters everywhere without a shred of evidence either.

The more I think about it, the odder his comment becomes. How many people does he think have been caught? If it isn't ten, and I can't think of ten, then he is saying there is precisely one at large. He only has to name this person and the problem will be eradicated.
I suspect that his comments were a spontaneous answer without any research involved. I got the impression it's not something he wanted to get deeply into and he didn't regard it as a problem at the level he plays at.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:18 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: I got the impression it's not something he wanted to get deeply into and he didn't regard it as a problem at the level he plays at.
Cheating has taken place in team competitions, such as the Olympiad and the German league, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Lev may have faced an opponent looking for a little help.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: I got the impression it's not something he wanted to get deeply into and he didn't regard it as a problem at the level he plays at.
Cheating has taken place in team competitions, such as the Olympiad and the German league, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Lev may have faced an opponent looking for a little help.
Agreed.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 am

"I suspect that his comments were a spontaneous answer without any research involved. I got the impression it's not something he wanted to get deeply into and he didn't regard it as a problem at the level he plays at."

I agree - if you are having a conversation, it's easy to say something that you might not if you prepared a written answer. If the person asking the questions had then said, "On what do you base those figures?", "Er, I'm guessing" might have been the reply.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:

In this interview, K Regan does not quote numbers but provides a very clear view on the subject:
http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12677/763
I’m just seeing the numbers. I’ll tell you, people are doing it
The article quotes 7 examples, we have at least a couple of cases in Ireland and at least 1 in the UK - interesting article, thanks for that Paolo
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:If they quoted numbers I would certainly challenge them.
NickFaulks wrote:The more I think about it, the odder his comment becomes. How many people does he think have been caught? If it isn't ten, and I can't think of ten, then he is saying there is precisely one at large.
Good point, Nick. Thing is, he's not quoting numbers, is he? You're the one quoting numbers ... Oh dear!
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:13 am

Brian Towers wrote: Good point, Nick. Thing is, he's not quoting numbers, is he? You're the one quoting numbers ... Oh dear!
No, he started with the numbers. I don't know whether he is thinking that there are ten cheaters around and nine of them have been caught, ot there are five hundred and fifty are at large. Seriously, I would like to know.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:21 pm

NickFaulks wrote:No, he started with the numbers.
Really? So, why do you say:
NickFaulks wrote: I don't know whether he is thinking that there are ten cheaters around and nine of them have been caught, ot there are five hundred and fifty are at large.
Can you really not spot the contradiction?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.