Kirsan Sanctioned by US Treasury Department

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Re: Kirsan Sanctioned by US Treasury Department

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:09 am

NickFaulks wrote: Kramnik is convinced that it's all a setup designed to derail the World Championship negotiations in the US
What would his reasoning be? Or to put it another way, what would theirs be?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am

JustinHorton wrote: What would his reasoning be? Or to put it another way, what would theirs be?
It's in his interview.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/kramni ... -much-more

"Whatever your opinion of him, I’m sure the charges are absolutely contrived. It’s more like revenge for Kasparov’s lost election in 2014, when he fought against Ilyumzhinov for the post of FIDE President and lost to him by a wide margin. After all, Garry Kimovich had huge support from the USA, including in terms of finance. It’s possible the people who were behind Kasparov had decent connections in the House of Representatives and those guys decided to combine work and pleasure: to get revenge for the disastrous election and try to prevent the signing of a major contract…

Which one?

This all went on when FIDE was planning to sign a major contract for the right to hold the World Championship match in November this year. A couple of months ago I personally talked with one of the instigators of that project, a major American businessman, and he confirmed that sponsors were ready to hold the World Championship match and, perhaps, other major chess events in the USA. The sanctions were announced literally a few days before the signing. Doesn’t that seem suspicious to you? I’d emphasise that’s my personal opinion, and I understand that for many it might seem like a “conspiracy theory” but, trust me, I’m far from the only person to believe in that version of events."
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:33 am

JustinHorton wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: Kramnik is convinced that it's all a setup designed to derail the World Championship negotiations in the US
What would his reasoning be? Or to put it another way, what would theirs be?
"Spite" would be the obvious answer.
Kirsan is Russian. Russia is the evil empire from the US perspective. Kirsan wants US money (loads of it) for the world championship. QED!
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Well maybe, but I'm not seeing that having the world chess champipnship in the US would be a propaganda victory (or any other kind) for that country's adversaries.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:26 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Well maybe, but I'm not seeing that having the world chess champipnship in the US would be a propaganda victory (or any other kind) for that country's adversaries.
Propaganda victory, no.
Wallet filling victory, yes.
It's clear to see why you're not an investment banker ;-)
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:30 pm

I thought that Kramnik was suggesting that it was the evil Kasparov pulling strings to discredit the FIDE President.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:27 pm

Kasparov's backers were promised that for a modest eight figure sum they could buy the election and gain control of the global chess franchise. They were sold a pup, and for FIDE to sign a very lucrative deal in the US would really rub their noses in it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Mmm, I'm going to wear a sceptical face on this one.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon May 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Compare and contrast

September 2015
http://web.archive.org/web/201509061723 ... t/council/
Now
http://www.sportaccord.com/about/council/

There he is, gone.

At least one international body no longer wants to be associated with the FIDE President.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:05 pm

The latest on this is suggesting an attempt to remove Kirsan during the meetings in Baku alongside the Olympiad. It needs 50% + 1 support though.

http://chess-news.ru/node/21727
(edit)
In the relatively unlikely event of a 50% + 1 support, it would be the FIDE equivalent of an ECF Director being defeated by "none of the above". (\edit)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov's twitter account today reports his visit to the US Embassy in (I assume) Moscow - to see an art exhibition. Also: here.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Now he's turned up in SeoulImage.

Nigel tweets: "Was delighted to be invited to Korea by the Chess Federation to discuss some fascinating projects. Was less happy not to be informed who else would attend. "