Kirsan Sanctioned by US Treasury Department

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mike Truran

Re: Kirsan Sanctioned by US Treasury Department

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:18 pm

http://en.chessbase.com/post/ilyumzhino ... e-to-syria

Is it just me, or does the resemblance between Our Glorious Leader and E H Shepard's illustrations of Mr Toad grow ever more pronounced?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Brian, thank you.

It is quite possible to undermine your (Russia's) enemies (the US in this case) by pretending to be their friend and friends of their friends (Turkey & Germany), as well as being friends of their enemies (Iran, China & N. Korea). (I do urge you to look into the economic relations between Germany and the Soviet Union in 1939! And, please read Machiavelli.)

The US is against nuclear proliferation - although it has been weak in allowing India and Israel to develop nuclear industries - but Russia has provided nuclear know-how and all the components necessary to get a nuclear programme up and running to some dubious states (as far as nuclear weapons go) around the world. That was done in recent times under the guise of peaceful programmes that would allow those states their right to peaceful nuclear power. One day it is quite possible that the by-products of one of those Russian-assisted peaceful programmes will result in a nuclear weapon being used in anger for the first time since the two that ended WWII.

During the ensuing Korean War MacArthur earnestly requested the use of multiple nukes to drive the Chinese Red Army back beyond the Yalu river that marks the China-Korea border. If an American military commander could contemplate such a thing why cannot a commander - of whatever faithful minions you like - plan to do such a thing?

As for the Turks, they are in a difficult position - nobody really likes them much because of their history.
Therefore they have to walk a tightrope between East and West both of which they have greatly upset in the past.
No wonder finding the tent flap is a struggle - they don't know which tent, in what camp, they are really welcome in.

The EU (at Turkey's old German friends' behest -) have just offered the Turks a couple-or-three billion euro bribe and a promise of a possible entry into the fold (fresh talks on EU membership) for them to keep the refugee hoards more at bay.

That kind of thing was tried at the creaking borders of the Roman Empire and eventually led to a flood of nomads penetrating the whole edifice, and the sack Rome - leaving only the Byzantine rump in the East and 1,000 years (c.400-1400) of barbarism in the West.

Glad you mentioned the Kurds they are struggling much more than the Turks to find their place in the sun - consistently betrayed by the Western Allies since the end of WWI. Good luck to them, they'll need it and they'll need to watch their backs!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:49 pm

Mike Truran wrote:http://en.chessbase.com/post/ilyumzhino ... e-to-syria

Is it just me, or does the resemblance between Our Glorious Leader and E H Shepard's illustrations of Mr Toad grow ever more pronounced?
Mike, for the younger generation, you should have included this (vetted) reference to renegade mutant ninja turtles.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/teenage- ... page-video

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Oops, sorry. Off piste again. :oops:

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 pm

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Brian Towers wrote:If Turkey and Russia are not allies then I'm at a loss to understand the Turk Stream gas pipeline which Russia is (perhaps "was" would be more accurate) planning to build under the Black Sea to more easily supply Turkey with the more than 50% of its natural gas imports which Russia supplies.
Then you'll be surprised by list of importers of Russian gas:
http://www.gazpromexport.ru/en/statistics/
All of those Russian allies, including UK?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:06 pm

That was the one containing pictures reminding me irresistibly of Mr Toad (particularly the one towards the bottom).

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Brian Towers wrote:If Turkey and Russia are not allies then I'm at a loss to understand the Turk Stream gas pipeline which Russia is (perhaps "was" would be more accurate) planning to build under the Black Sea to more easily supply Turkey with the more than 50% of its natural gas imports which Russia supplies.
Then you'll be surprised by list of importers of Russian gas:
http://www.gazpromexport.ru/en/statistics/
All of those Russian allies, including UK?
No sir -
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 pm

John McKenna wrote:No sir -
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
I see, the UK (and Germany and the rest of the EU) Machiavellian strategy is to keep our enemies closer by depending on their gas and oil; how clever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:48 pm

It's a mad, mad world, Paolo, let's hope it never becomes a bad, bad one, again.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:36 am

Mike Truran wrote:http://en.chessbase.com/post/ilyumzhino ... e-to-syria

Not as pronounced as the resemblance between Erdogan and Gollum.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:24 am

Kirsan appears to have stepped down temporarily or something. Can anybody help out with more details?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:51 am

Makes sense to me as any document or transaction he is connected with will immediately cause an issue with any organization or bank involved. If he wants his name off the Sanctions list he'll have to approach the US Treasury but it will be very difficult for him to do so as the bank he owns is believed to be the intermediary bank that Assad uses to get oil from ISIS and the argument goes that if Kirsan didn't know this he should have known this and is complicit either way.

Could be a massive indication that the World Ch is going to be in the US.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:10 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Kirsan appears to have stepped down temporarily or something. Can anybody help out with more details?
Official Statement: http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... -fide.html

Previous Announcement: http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... reece.html.

Originally there wasn't going to be a 4th Quarter Presidential Board Meeting. It's obviously been arranged at short notice to deal with this issue.