CCCCC

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: CCCCC

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:33 pm

John McKenna wrote: Not sure if Julian Hodgson would approve of Timur Gareev's choice of 3.h4!?
There's over 20 examples with Hebden and Emms regular clients along with one-offs against Gufeld, Uhlmann and Beliavsky. Julian usually preferred to meet .. c5 with 4. d5 though.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:00 pm

They found themselves a truly inventive way to mutually free those light squared bishops :) Looked horribly trapped on move 8!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
John McKenna wrote: Not sure if Julian Hodgson would approve of Timur Gareev's choice of 3.h4!? A little too eccentric for Julian, perhaps.
Well he played it on at least 24 different occasions including games against Adams, Beliavsky, Cramling, Emms, Hebden, Nunn, Rowson, Salov, Tukmakov etc so he was certainly prepared to give it a go :)
"Can a move such as 3.h4 be justified? The honest answer... must be no, but in chess there is plenty of room to experiment... It is essential to be in the right frame of mind; i.e ultra positive and determined... " (Secrets of the Trompovsky, GM Julian Hodgson)
Roger de Coverly wrote: There's over 20 examples with Hebden and Emms regular clients along with one-offs against Gufeld, Uhlmann and Beliavsky. Julian usually preferred to meet .. c5 with 4. d5 though.
"I have even less faith in 4.dxc5 than in 4.d5." (Secrets of the Trompovsky, GM Julian Hodgson)

The top-board encounter ended Gareev,T. 0-1 Vakhidov,J.

I wonder if either player knew those secrets of Julian's.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:32 am

Don't think the opening was to blame though? That ending surely can't have been too bad for white before he went in for all those really odd rook manouvers.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:24 am

I agree with you about the ineffectual rook manoeuvres.

Did Black have some small queenless middlegame pluses - such as slightly better pawn structure and minor pieces and king activity - that made it difficult for White to find an active plan. Maybe Gareev was too "ultra positive and determined" for too long and should have just accepted that his position was a bit inferior and defended instead of attacking on the queenside.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:30 am

It's great to see our juniors being trained in the Classics as in this round 6 encounter between Harry Grieve (2106) - Daniel J Young (1807). I went to have a look at the position around move 7 when Jack alerted me to it. Both players were grinning broadly:

Draw agreed.
Last edited by Chris Rice on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:37 am

Chris Rice wrote:It's great to see our juniors being trained in the Classics as in this round 6 encounter between Harry Grieve (2106) - Daniel J Young (1807). I went to have a look at the position around move 7 when Jack alerted me to it. Both players were grinning broadly:

Draw agreed.
I briefly glanced at that game and assumed that the live board had malfunctioned :lol:

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:03 pm

That makes no sense after move 18? :?:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Sorry Matt not sure what happened there. It was an 18 move draw. Here it is again:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 pm

It was an odd position for two youngsters to agree a draw with plenty of play still in the position.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:33 pm

So, the R5! Grieve-Young ended with 18.c4 (=).

Stewart, it looks like White, although higher-rated, was worried that if 18... e5 was played, and its crying out to be, Black'd be much better.

Today in R6 the pick of the pairings in the Masters is -

Bd. 1 IM Justin Tan (2452) 4 v. 5 GM Jahongir Vakhidov (2576)
Bd. 2 Marcus Osborne (2213) 4 v. 4 GM Ferenc Berkes (2644)
Bd. 3 GM Timur Gareev (2611) 3.5 v. 3.5 GM Bogdan Lalic (2425)

Will Vakhidov make it to 6/6?

Great to see Londoner Marcus Osborne in amongst the internationals.

Did Croydon man (Marcus) ever meet Harrow man (Colin Crouch) over the board?
I expect if they did it was probably near the banks of the Thames in the London League.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:38 pm

Yesterday wasn't a good day for Chris Fegan to be playing an in form Mark Lyell!

1-0

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Mark Lyell at his best, above, I remember him beating GM Keith Arkell comprehensively at least once in the past.

Back to today's agenda...

I'm sure I don't need to remind Chris of the following -

Bd. 12 Rice, Chris B (2038) 2 v. 2 Kalaiyalahan, Akshaya (2212)

I won't ask him how the prep's going... going... gone.

Hope he comes back on for a quick post-game-selfie interview, no matter what.

Good luck to both players.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Ken Norman had a disaster in the Seniors today - it won't help Ken but everyone has one or two of these in their past.

I remember explaining to Michael Twyble in an Essex county match years ago (yes, I know - discussing the game, but I can't lose it twice) how I was playing a really deep positional idea. He looked a bit surprised as was I when I went back to the board since my opponent ignored my strategic brilliance and mated me in two. I also remember a game in a relatively minor league where my opponent (not very strong) bashed out a rook check with almost a roar of triumph. I thought what a pillock and then looked at the position and oh dear mate in two. See the pattern recurring - only point was the rook was en prise!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Sorry - realised that I haven't made it clear in the second example that I resigned before realising the rook was en prise!