CCCCC

The very latest International round up of English news.
Ken Norman

Re: CCCCC

Post by Ken Norman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Moore wrote:Ken Norman had a disaster in the Seniors today - it won't help Ken but everyone has one or two of these in their past.
I can only suppose it was a pattern recognition disaster.

Here Black traded on c1 and then offered to trade the other Rook on c8. White dodged this with Rc1-d1. The problem is that the Queen is lurking on the unusual square of a4.
I blundered away an extra pawn against George Dickson. I missed 15….. b3 against Oliver Jackson and then in Round four I put a rook en prise. I think the months of caring for a sick wife when I did not look at a chessboard may have contributed to my poor play.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Nick - obviously an exaggeration but I stopped playing the Alekhine as Black because I found that juniors had prepared all sorts of sharp sidelines which, whilst they weren't critical, were to me at the time if that makes sense - partly, I suppose, because it was the beginning of the digital age with databases and the early engines.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Without doing the maths, it looks like Tan needs to beat Jackson for a GM norm whilst Jackson needs a draw for an IM norm.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:03 am

Lawrence >Without doing the maths, it looks like Tan needs to beat Jackson for a GM norm whilst Jackson needs a draw for an IM norm.<

The English Chess forum has, at last, come of age. We had thought James Jackson could not achieve an IM norm, probably overlooking that Mark Lyell is an FM.
Justin Tan definitely needs a win on board 3 to secure a GM norm.
James Jackson has met a field of average rating 2337. This means he needs to score 6/9. Currently he has 5.5/8 and thus needs to draw in the last round. He will also have met 3 GMs, 1 IM and 1 FM.

Justin was at school in England for 2 years until July 2015 and is currently taking a gap year before going to Edinburgh University in the autumn. So we will be able to claim one English title success in the CCCCC.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:12 am

"It certainly beats playing precocious juniors who come to the board armed with 25 moves of theory in all of my favourite lines."

I was playing in a match recently where two young juniors (probably aged 10-12) the board below me produced about 25 moves of highly complicated moves, which turned out to be theory when I looked it up later. So it does happen, but not all the time obviously.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:59 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: I was playing in a match recently where two young juniors (probably aged 10-12) the board below me produced about 25 moves of highly complicated moves, which turned out to be theory when I looked it up later. So it does happen, but not all the time obviously.
Ah, yes, but I don't mind if they amuse themselves by doing this against each other ( although I'm not sure how much it benefits their chess ). I'm only bothered if they do it against me, and it takes two to tango.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:33 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: We had thought James Jackson could not achieve an IM norm, probably overlooking that Mark Lyell is an FM.
Stewart, you disillusion me, I noticed the round eight pairing and thought you had deliberately given James a FM opponent to keep his norms hopes alive!
(But on reflection, I suppose that sort of thing isn't allowed anymore. RIP, all those LLoyds Bank events).
Stewart Reuben wrote: Justin was at school in England for 2 years until July 2015 and is currently taking a gap year before going to Edinburgh University in the autumn. So we will be able to claim one English title success in the CCCCC.
Er yes, Justin is obviously English now :? 8) :D

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Round 9 Masters top pairings -

1 GM Gareyev Timur (2611) 5½ v. 6½ GM Berkes Ferenc (2644)
2 GM Vakhidov Jahongir (2576) 6½ v. 5 FM Batchelor Peter J (2335)
3 6 IM Tan Justin (2452) 6 v. 5½ FM Jackson James P (2348)
4 GM Lalic Bogdan (2425) 5 v. 5½ GM Gormally Daniel W (2490)

Given the likelihood of a White win on board 2 what's the probability of board 1 not being a draw?
Given the probability of a draw on board 3 what's the likelihood of a Black win on board 4?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm

John McKenna wrote:

Given the probability of a draw on board 3 what's the likelihood of a Black win on board 4?
Why would board 3 be a draw? White needs a win for a GM norm.

Either way, board 4 looks like a banker for a draw, perhaps another Gormally 13 mover.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Congratulations to Chris Fegan on a fantastic result in beating the International Master , and arbiter Jack Rudd.
perhaps a moderator could post the game?

was ..Rh7! missed?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
John McKenna wrote:

Why would board 3 be a draw? White needs a win for a GM norm.

Either way, board 4 looks like a banker for a draw, perhaps another Gormally 13 mover.
You're probably right that for young IM Tan a cash reward plus a GM norm should be more of a spur than just the cash incentive for an existing GM. Still, it could depend on how well that GM's existing and whether there's any fight left in him.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:12 pm

Bob Kane wrote:Congratulations to Chris Fegan on a fantastic result in beating the International Master , and arbiter Jack Rudd.
perhaps a moderator could post the game?

was ..Rh7! missed?

No idea what was going on but I wouldn't want to be black against Jack in a game like that! 38 Bb2 seems to be the decisive mistake but plenty to look at before then, I suspect that Jack was doing very well earlier on, practically and possibly objectively too.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:24 pm

I take it we are talking about IM Jack Rudd missing 34... Rh7! by Chris Fegan. Bob K's being a bit partisan in singing his praises, of course. A black day for Jack - perhaps he'll share his enlightning thoughts about the game when he recovers.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks LOZ for posting ,

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:49 pm

John Mc
Its also a great game , Chris Fs humble h pawn voted with its feet , a win for the proletariate !

BOB