Norway 16-29 April 2016

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Norway 16-29 April 2016

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Carlsen, Kramnik, Giri, Topalov, Vachier-Lagrave, Aronian plus 4 others TBA

Clashes with US Championship which is presumably why Nakamura, Caruana & So aren't in Norway

Wonder if Karjakin will be invited? Ding Liren and/or Wei Yi too

EDIT: Jon Ludvig Hammer, Aryan Tari, Nils Grandelius and Yifan Hou to fight for the 10th spot

This presumably means that the other 3 spots have been settled, albeit not announced as far as I am aware
Last edited by Mick Norris on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stewart Reuben

Re: Norway 16-29 April 2016

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 am

They will also have to miss the CCCCC. Most unfortunate.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:28 pm

http://norwaychess.no/spillerne/ for news of players 8 and 9.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 am

Very interesting field, and best news is that Svidler is doing the commentary :D

Translating an article from Norwegian, my computer gives me:
Altibox Norway Chess has today published the final three players in this year's tournament, which is played in Stavanger from 19 to 29 April.

The elect are Ukrainians Pavel Eljanov (2765), Sergey Karjakin (2760) from Russia and Indian Pentaela Harikrishna (2758).

It means we get a reunion with Karjakin (No. 13 in the world), who won the tournament in 2013 and 2014. Eljanov (# 11 in the world) and Harikrishna (# 14) in the world) makes its debut in Norway Chess.

Thus, nine out of ten players ready for this year's tournament. Previously Magnus Carlsen, Vladimir Kramnik, Levon Aronian, Anish Giri, Veselin Topalov, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave confirmed for the fourth edition of Norway Chess.

- I am very happy with this field. I doubt that there will be a stronger timannsturnering in 2016 than this. And it almost regardless of who wins qualifier, says Joran Aulin-Jansson in Norway Chess Matt & Patt.

From before it decided that Jon Ludvig Hammer, Aryan Tari, Nils Grandelius and Yifan Hou play about the last place in qualifying at Fagernes 23 - 26 March.

Anand was again invited to Stavanger, but thanks this time no.

- He had no time. There was little for a few days with family. It is absolutely fair. He hopes to return in 2017.

- Given that Anand did not have time, then Harikrishna a very interesting replaces. With time so he is certainly India's best player, says Aulin-Jansson about 29-year-old who has taken several steps towards the world top in the last year.

Fabiano Caruana, Hikaru Nakamura and Wesley So are all busy with games in the American championship, which takes place simultaneously with Norway Chess.

- We sent invitations to some of the United States. Unfortunately crashed it with the American championship, but I understand their answers.

The organizers have also announced new websites, a definite boost over previous years. And they are probably thank the new sponsor Altibox for.

- The economy is still tight and strained. We've had three months less selling time this year, but we got a three-year sponsorship and it helps, says Aulin-Jansson.

The first six rounds in Norway Chess player at Stavanger Forum, while the last three wound up in great Stavanger Concert Hall. Friday 23 April and 26 April is the day of rest.

Official commentators are great champions in January Gustafsson and Peter Svidler, considered two of the world's leading commentators.

In addition to the main event, there will also be schools and children tournaments during the week.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:23 am

23-26 March qualifier

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:08 am

Mick Norris wrote:23-26 March qualifier
Grandelius has dominated the qualifier, beating Hammer in both classic and (just now) rapid games, also beating Tari and drawing with Hou Yifan in the classical. Classical games count double.

So his score is 9/11 to Hammer's 6 which means that Grandelius has qualified for the main Norway Chess super-tournament even if he loses to Tari and Hou Yifan in rapid.

Hou Yifan just beat Tari who seems to have been outclassed, managing only one draw so far.
Hou Yifan is out of contention because she lost to Hammer yesterday.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:44 am

Tim Harding wrote: So his score is 9/11 to Hammer's 6 which means that Grandelius has qualified
He hasn't quite, but I expect he will. Then he needs to start preparing for nine successive games against 2750+ opposition.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Grandelius finishes with 4 wins & 2 draws to win the qualifier

Will be interesting to see how he does against Carlsen, Kramnik, Giri, Topalov, Vachier-Lagrave, Aronian, Eljanov, Karjakin & Harikrishna - I wish him luck

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:25 pm

Grandelius seemed a nice guy when doing a "banter blitz" recently on chess24 and it was impressive how he bounced back after his first round
gaffe in Reykjavik. I expect him to win a game somewhere - just like last year when Hammer was heavily outrated but beat Carlsen.

This tournament will also be something of a step up for Harikrishna presumably?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:37 am

Harikrishna has been close to passing Anand to become India's number 1. Might happen at this tournament if he does well. The experience will be invaluable regardless (for Grandelius as well).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:09 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Harikrishna has been close to passing Anand to become India's number 1
It did happen briefly on the Live Ratings, but Harikrishna as well as Grandelius will be one of the more interesting aspects of Norway

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Karjakin withdraws. Not a surprise. (Will Karjakin go into complete hibernation until the match?)

Maybe one of the others from the qualifier (Jon Ludvig Hammer, Hou Yifan and Aryan Tari) will replace him? (Topalov and Giri and Aronian played in the Candidates and are still playing in this event).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Hammer is an obvious replacement and not one who would obviously upset the organisers, unless they are obsessed with average rating. For me, it's now a bigger shame that Hou Yifan didn't come second in the qualifier.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:08 am

On his open Facebook page, Emil Sutovsky, the ACP President is not at all happy with Karjakin's decision and he does have a point:

"Sergey Karjakin's decision to withdraw from the Altibox Norway Chess in Stavanger just 12 days prior to start of the event is heavily debated all over the place. Tarjei Joten Svensen quotes Norwegian organizers, who are visibly unhappy about Karjakin's decision, the London Classic Director and Grand Chess Tour organizer Malcolm Pein bluntly rejects the official reason provided by the Russian: "Preparation ? Nah - he's just chickening out - pathetic, pleased we didn't invite him to Grand Chess Tour", chess fans are disappointed...

Now, these are emotions. Let's look at it calmly:

Contract is a Contract. Full stop. It is to be respected. It is mutually binding, and exactly as you don't expect the organizer to cancel your invitation, you are not expected to withdraw from the event. Unless there is an additional clause/special provision in your agreement - which is actually a common practice, you got to respect it, whether you won the Candidates or the World Championship Match.

There are only two exceptions:

1. Force majeure : it can be about war or earthquake, urgent surgery or demise of the close relative - these are all respected, and every serious contract does have a force majeure clause. But here it is luckily not the case.

2. Withdrawal by mutual agreement. This option is often neglected, although it is the most practical way to resolve the matter. The contract is signed, there are obligations - but if you want to change your mind - explain the situation to the organizers and offer them a decent compensation. It could be a financial compensation or other settlement - as long as the organizers accept it - this is the way to resolve it. Of course, the organizer may decline such an offer, but usually some sort of compromise can be found.

All other ways to skip the event are simply not legitimate and unprofessional. Of course, Sergey Karjakin is not chickening - why should he be scared of anyone after a string of successes, and doing extremely well in Norway Chess, which he has already won twice? But that's not the point. Contract is a contract is a contract.

I do hope that Team Karjakin and Norwegians will negotiate it to resolve the matter if not amicably, then at least to the mutual discontent."