Olympiad dates change

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: Olympiad dates change

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:02 am

MJMcCready wrote:Believe it or not the Azeris have very deep concerns about the state of chess in their country.
It isn't clear where the successors to Radjabov, Mamedyarov and the late Gashimov are coming from.
they may even try to poach the odd superstar here and there to add to Naiditsch.
I'm sure that FIDE would welcome the 5,000 euros. :D

Did you hear grumbling about Agaragimov's GM title?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:10 am

It's not clear at all. Their chess scene is quite similar to England's, there's a big gap between their top players and those below, and not enough juniors coming through. I should add whilst there, it didn't look like that to me as the tournaments I saw always had plenty of juniors, however, the Azeris remain very pessimistic about that. Perhaps in Soviet times they were a little spoilt on the chess front.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:24 am

NickFaulks wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:Believe it or not the Azeris have very deep concerns about the state of chess in their country.
It isn't clear where the successors to Radjabov, Mamedyarov and the late Gashimov are coming from.
they may even try to poach the odd superstar here and there to add to Naiditsch.
I'm sure that FIDE would welcome the 5,000 euros. :D

Did you hear grumbling about Agaragimov's GM title?
I'm not aware of Agaragimov's grumbling. I'll have a look.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:33 am

I can't find any info, could you provide a link?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:25 am

MJMcCready wrote:I can't find any info, could you provide a link?
I'm sure that when his title norms were published there was a comment on this forum along the lines of "you've got be joking", but it must have been behind a link since a search shows nothing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:I'm sure that when his title norms were published there was a comment on this forum along the lines of "you've got be joking", but it must have been behind a link since a search shows nothing.
I think that you may be confusing the Agaragimov case, about which I had not heard, with the discussion on here about the Russian IA and near "GM", Vladimir Afromeev.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5723

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:14 pm

MJMcCready wrote:It's not clear at all. Their chess scene is quite similar to England's, there's a big gap between their top players and those below, and not enough juniors coming through. I should add whilst there, it didn't look like that to me as the tournaments I saw always had plenty of juniors, however, the Azeris remain very pessimistic about that. Perhaps in Soviet times they were a little spoilt on the chess front.
Having said that, wasn't Azerbaijan pre-Gazza a bit of a chess backwater in Soviet terms?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:25 pm

Compared to what is now Georgia and Armenia perhaps it hasn't had as many world champion candidates but it is a question of perspective and their history isn't well documented. They have had many strong players that aren't household names.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Emil Sutovsky (via Facebook)

Good news from Moscow - after a two rounds of discussions, FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has agreed to remove the zero-tolerance rule from the Olympiad. I'd like to point out that Mr.Ilyumzhinov personally is strongly in favor of the rule, but he took into the account our arguments and the results of the ACP Survey - a commendable flexibility indeed. The decision has to be confirmed by the Presidential Board on Monday. More good news soon. Stay tuned!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:49 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
I thought he had stood down because of the US Sanctions?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
His photo and name still appear on the website as president and he's still appearing publicly as president so I think we can take that with a pinch of salt.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
He has withdrawn from the legal, financial and business operations of FIDE, so can still express opinions on the way the game is played. I would guess that his current precarious position makes it easier for PB members who disagree with him to put their heads above the parapet.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:01 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: More good news soon. Stay tuned!
I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:05 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: More good news soon. Stay tuned!
I'm not sure I like the sound of that.
I would guess it's to do with anti-cheating........

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:46 pm