2016 Candidates prediction

The very latest International round up of English news.

Who will win the 2016 Candidates Tournament?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:27 am

Anand
8%
Aronian
13%
Caruana
33%
Giri
10%
Karjakin
3%
Nakamura
26%
Svidler
5%
Topalov
3%

Total votes: 39

Carl Hibbard

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:54 pm

I could take him that's true.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:27 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote: Topalov didn't really collapse until fairly near the end I think?
Well he was on minus 2 after three games. He did lose another two in rounds 12 and 13, though.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Topalov basically admitted afterwards he was finished as a WC contender. He realised that the younger guys were putting in three times as much work as him and were taking it much more seriously and realistically he knows he can't turn the clock back and put the sort of work in that would be needed. Karjakin with the might of Russia behind him will definitely be a test for Carlsen though I still expect Carlsen to win. Not sure I agree with the general consensus that Karjakin was the best player, he certainly took his chances but if Caruana, in particular, or indeed some of the others had taken their chances they could well have won it too. A really exciting tournament apart from the fact that Agon with their coverage and general stupidity tried to ruin it for everyone.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Not sure I agree with the general consensus that Karjakin was the best player, he certainly took his chances but if Caruana, in particular, or indeed some of the others had taken their chances they could well have won it too. A really exciting tournament apart from the fact that Agon with their coverage and general stupidity tried to ruin it for everyone.
I'm sure that Caruana, in particular, but also Anand, Aronian and even Giri will reflect on the missed opportunities. Ultimately, though, Karjakin took his chances and finished a point clear.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:58 pm

With hindsight, it was always between Karjakin and Caruana, and was decided when Caruana didn't beat Svidler yesterday. The way in which Anand ground down some superb players after 1.e4, e5 was amazing, but you still wouldn't expect that to work against Carlsen. I'm looking forward to a good match in New York - hoping the finance is good and that Agon's presentation will be slightly less appalling. They're obviously not minded to learn from their mistakes, so I wouldn't expect too much there.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Not sure I agree with the general consensus that Karjakin was the best player, he certainly took his chances but if Caruana, in particular, or indeed some of the others had taken their chances they could well have won it too.
I think it not beyond the bounds of possibility that if Karjakin had played Topalov with White in round 4 and Caruana had got him in round 12 rather than the other way around, Caruana would have won the tournament - even given his missed opportunities.

Still, Caruana did miss a load of chances - not the least of them against Topalov in round 4. I"m not sure if there’s ever really too much sense in talking about the 'best' player or a 'deserving' victor.

Karjakin scored more points than anybody else. That’s pretty much all you can say about any tournament, really.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:31 pm

It was another great tournament - you can argue that it isn't the best way of determining a challenger, albeit there isn't the finance for anything better - but like London it was very exciting

As for taking chances, well 14 rounds brings tiredness and pressure, and hopefully prepares for a good WC Match

Magnus has got the challenger he predicted, so he'll certainly take him seriously
Any postings on here represent my personal views