2016 Candidates prediction

The very latest International round up of English news.

Who will win the 2016 Candidates Tournament?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:27 am

Anand
8%
Aronian
13%
Caruana
33%
Giri
10%
Karjakin
3%
Nakamura
26%
Svidler
5%
Topalov
3%

Total votes: 39

Paolo Casaschi

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:41 pm

The ECForum has spoken, Caruana favorite ahead of Nakamura with everybody else far behind.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Yes, so today's result possibly makes Caruana marginal favourite, very early days

I assume the poll is locked now, maybe have another one after round 7?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Correct, this poll is closed now.
Another one can be opened at any moment for the mid-tournament predictions, closing before round 8.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Here’s another prediction: Agon's "nobody can broadcast the moves but us" plan isn’t going to be successful.

Think I can safely claim that one as a win.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:09 pm

PeterFarr wrote:I've gone for Karjakin
Congratulations for being the only one to guess the actual winner before the start of the event!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Simon Brown wrote:I agree that Topalov is capable of anything, but he prepares well and seems to rebound well after a bad result. He got my vote for that reason, even if he doesn't appear to be a particularly pleasant individual
Whoops!
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 pm

I hesitate to write top players off, but there has to be a good chance now that Topalov is finished at the absolute highest level.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
PeterFarr wrote:I've gone for Karjakin
Congratulations for being the only one to guess the actual winner before the start of the event!
Yes well, to be honest I only voted for him because Christopher Kreuzer said "is no-one going to vote for Karjakin"
But still, he seems a deserved winner in the end, having been there or thereabouts all the way through.

Jonathan Rogers' prediction of a lot of Topalov losses seemed to show the most foresight; and Simon Brown wasn't entirely wrong, in that he said "Topalov is capable of anything..."

I was thinking the same thing as Matt though; hard to see him coming back again.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:29 pm

It definitely sounded at the press conference that Topalov was basically admitting he was done at this level. Can't blame him of course!

Not retiring though which is good.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Go Sergey!!!!!
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:50 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:It definitely sounded at the press conference that Topalov was basically admitting he was done at this level. Can't blame him of course!
He did seem undecided about whether to play, and it is unfortunate that the 8th player wasn't as well matched as the other 7 were - the final table is quite interesting in that respect

Topalov is playing at Norway, though, so maybe he will be better once he has released the pressure on himself - we have seen with others (Anand, Gelfand, Ivanchuk) that it is possible to compete into your 40s, despite the computer generation coming on strong

I think the chance has gone for Svidler too
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:It definitely sounded at the press conference that Topalov was basically admitting he was done at this level. Can't blame him of course!
He did seem undecided about whether to play, and it is unfortunate that the 8th player wasn't as well matched as the other 7 were - the final table is quite interesting in that respect

Topalov is playing at Norway, though, so maybe he will be better once he has released the pressure on himself - we have seen with others (Anand, Gelfand, Ivanchuk) that it is possible to compete into your 40s, despite the computer generation coming on strong

I think the chance has gone for Svidler too
And let's not forget Topa's best mate ;)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:11 pm

You have to still really, really want it/put huge amounts of work in though - he was saying he thought everyone else was doing much more work than him for this event. Specifically because it was the candidates and not 'just' a super tournament of course! A putative WC match would then mean doing even more.

No reason he can't do very well elsewhere.

Topalov didn't really collapse until fairly near the end I think?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:17 pm

I wonder about Aronian. It's startling to look at Wikipedia and see that he was rated 2830 only two years ago. Given his relative collapse in form since then, I think I formed the impression that he was older than he is, associating the loss of form with the effect of advancing age: but he's only 33. He might still have one more go in him.

But at the same time I wonder whether he's missing some small element of drive, perhaps. And also whether he can't really expect to advance over the last two to three years, whereas Giri and Caruana can.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:37 pm

PeterFarr wrote:

Jonathan Rogers' prediction of a lot of Topalov losses seemed to show the most foresight
You're very kind, but I am sure that several people foresaw that. Quite something for him to finish as the only player on a minus score though!

It seemed to me that when Topa played 1...c5 against Karjakin in round 12, a whole Russian contingent of supporters must have been shaking their fists, thinking "YES!".

Still, it seems to me that Karjakin probably was the deserved winner, remembering that it is indeed about taking one's chances too. He only lost to a virtuoso endgame performance by Anand, and it's unlikely that such a loss will happen against Carl ... on hang on ... :oops: