2016 Candidates prediction

The very latest International round up of English news.

Who will win the 2016 Candidates Tournament?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:27 am

Anand
8%
Aronian
13%
Caruana
33%
Giri
10%
Karjakin
3%
Nakamura
26%
Svidler
5%
Topalov
3%

Total votes: 39

Mick Norris

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:Here we go. Nakamura very marginally the favourite, from Caruana. Svidler the longest shot.
Looking at those odds, were I a betting man, I'd split my money between Anand, Topalov and Svidler and get similar odds that any one of my 3 wins as just backing Nakamura.
The field is separated by only 50 rating points. It has got to be wide open, a lot more wide open than those odds reflect.
OK, the ratings may be close, but that's not what's important - I think those 3 are the ones who won't win (note, I thought Anand had no chance last time :oops: ), though Svidler always prepares and plays well, I don't think he'll win enough games (which may be Giri's problem, possibly Karjakin's too)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Tim Harding wrote: I would also STRONGLY DISLIKE a Karjakin win, though I fear it could happen, because he is a defector from Ukraine to Russia and a supporter of Putin.
I'm tired of this line of argument. Karjakin was one of the Crimean majority of ethnic Russians who found themselves, against their will, citizens of the new Ukraine after the post Soviet boundaries were drawn in 1991 ( ok, Sergey was 1 year old, so we would be talking about his family ). It is not unreasonable that he supports Putin for returning his homeland to Russia, even though his manner of doing so was in contravention of international law. It is not at all unreasonable that he wishes to represent Russia, on account of his being Russian.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:10 pm

I think Caruana is due a good result. I hope the winner is one of him, Giri or Nakamura. Time for youth to step forward and, er, challenge youth.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:48 pm

I don't think Anand has another WC in him, legend though he is.
I don't think Karjakin, Giri or Svidler will win enough games.
Topalov could win it, or come bottom. Most likely the latter, on average.
Does Nakamura really want to play Carlsen head to head? I think his mind will play tricks on him.
Which leaves Aronian v Caruana. To win this, someone has got to string together some wins; I think Caruana has more chance than Aronian.
So I will go with the boring, predictable prediction of Caruana. Which is a shame, because I think Aronian and Svidler are just so darn likeable!
But hey, something else is bound to happen!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:52 am

Ray Sayers wrote: So I will go with the boring, predictable prediction of Caruana.
Me too, with Karjakin as an each-way backup.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tim Harding wrote: I would also STRONGLY DISLIKE a Karjakin win, though I fear it could happen, because he is a defector from Ukraine to Russia and a supporter of Putin.
I'm tired of this line of argument. Karjakin was one of the Crimean majority of ethnic Russians who found themselves, against their will, citizens of the new Ukraine after the post Soviet boundaries were drawn in 1991 ( ok, Sergey was 1 year old, so we would be talking about his family ). It is not unreasonable that he supports Putin for returning his homeland to Russia, even though his manner of doing so was in contravention of international law. It is not at all unreasonable that he wishes to represent Russia, on account of his being Russian.
I tend to agree - or at least, I don't think that we in the West have enough insight into the matter to make any assumptions. It even occurred to me that he might have felt pressured to show support for Putin; this is Russia, after all.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Naka is my tip which is probably the end of his chances :lol:

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:50 pm

I have chipped in with a Giri prediction, perhaps because I think he is one of the three most plausible winners and it seems ridiculous that he hasn't yet had a vote! His Grand Tour performance last year, if repeated, would suffice to win. If you have zero losses, as he did in 27 games on the Tour last year, then you don't need to win many games; perhaps just three, or four at the most.

But I can see why the other two of the three, Caruana and Naka, attract more votes. Naka is some kind of genius in his own right, and I don't think that he will be affected by any subconscious fear of being murdered by Carlsen in a match. Top players don't think like that (eg Short, when fighting through to challenge Kasparov). Caruana is, I think, more conventional - a lot of computer preparation but thereafter one tends to think that one understands his moves - and perhaps I always have a prejudice against world championship contenders who are not so strong at blitz. But he would probably give Carlsen the closest match, or at least he would be the one Carlsen would least like to face, because Caruana has beaten him quite often and quite convincingly.

Of course, writing off the older generation like this is not to be done lightly ....

Who will come last, we might also ask? Even harder! One can only really imagine Topalov losing many games, or Aronian if things don't go his way again. There will be a lot of draws overall but hopefully mostly fighting ones.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:04 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Naka is my tip which is probably the end of his chances :lol:
I believe the Leicester fans are hoping you tip Arsenal for the title :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:14 pm

If it's not Anand, as I suspect it will be, then it will be Caruana. The fact that Tim doesn't want to see a third Anand-Carlsen match doesn't mean that it won't happen.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:53 pm

I did look up on a Wiki website, a list of 'strong tournaments' since 2010. I thought it may be more useful to know which of the Candidates has a knack of winning such events, rather than just rely on ratings. Of course, in any one given tournament someone may over/under perform, but the results were (player/wins):

1. Caruana: 10
2= Aronian: 6
2= Karjakin: 6
4= Anand: 4
4= Topalov 4
6. Nakamura: 3
7= Giri: 1
7= Svidler 1

Crude, but food for thought...

Edit: Out of interest I looked up Carlen's total. It came to 20.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:00 pm

I agree that Topalov is capable of anything, but he prepares well and seems to rebound well after a bad result. He got my vote for that reason, even if he doesn't appear to be a particularly pleasant individual

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:Naka is my tip which is probably the end of his chances :lol:
I'd rather he tipped Spurs.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
I've been tipping Spurs for about a month (Man City before that and Chelsea at the start of the season) and see no reason to change. Sadly, even filling my fantasy team with 3 Leicester and Spurs players isn't even having the desired effect :cry:

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:15 pm

I voted Aronian - based on a combination of my perceived likelihhod snd desire for him to win. As an asie those odds quoted are to win outright ... I d idnt both to read the rules about ties, though I suspect if you back someone who makes it to the play-off/tiebreaks you get your money back

Paul