ACP Survey

The very latest International round up of English news.
IM Jack Rudd

ACP Survey

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:18 pm

The ACP Survey Results have been published.

A few interesting results in there. I particularly noticed the one that said ACP members would much prefer time to be added on when the time control has been reached rather than when a clock reaches zero.

Paolo Casaschi

Re: ACP Survey

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:51 pm

If my count of 150 responses is correct, the statistical sample is hardly significant; especially considering this is a web poll open to voluntary participation (as opposed to a qualified sample as in serious electoral exit polls).

Besides, the number of responses also qualifies how the ACP itself is representative of the category.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:07 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:The ACP Survey Results have been published.

A few interesting results in there. I particularly noticed the one that said ACP members would much prefer time to be added on when the time control has been reached rather than when a clock reaches zero.
I can hear Roger sharpening his ... um, keyboard from here. :P
Paolo Casaschi wrote:If my count of 150 responses is correct, the statistical sample is hardly significant; especially considering this is a web poll open to voluntary participation (as opposed to a qualified sample as in serious electoral exit polls).

Besides, the number of responses also qualifies how the ACP itself is representative of the category.
Depends on how you define the category, I suppose. The second most populous category of respondent was IA.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:10 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:If my count of 150 responses is correct, the statistical sample is hardly significant; especially considering this is a web poll open to voluntary participation (as opposed to a qualified sample as in serious electoral exit polls).
The wider set of results of everyone participating in the Survey , was also in favour of adding the time immediately. For the most part, the responses were broadly in favour of traditional attitudes, both the wider participants and the ACP. Thus on zero time default, the traditional method of starting the clocks of late arrivals was the preferred penalty. It is marginally puzzling that relatively few German players took part, given their headcount. It cannot totally have been language, since Russian players are well represented.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:21 pm

I liked the wider survey. Was surprised about some of the low ratings. But awful lot of professional organisers, & arbiters, coaches.
A survey better than no survey.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:05 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:It is marginally puzzling that relatively few German players took part, given their headcount. It cannot totally have been language, since Russian players are well represented.
As a matter of detail, the survey was presented in two languages, English and Russian. Even so, I would not expect German players to have been put off by language difficulties.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.