Federations in arrears to FIDE

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Federations in arrears to FIDE

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:03 pm

I came across this list of 39 nations and wondered if this was a normal state of affairs i.e. to have so many in arrears?

I haven't double checked against the map of FIDE events but guess there are no cross overs

I see Khanty-Mansiysk has been awarded the 2019 World Cup and 2020 Olympiad, from PB meeting
The PB received a proposal from Khanty-Mansiysk to hold a 2016 Women’s Grand Prix, the 2018 Women’s World Championship, the 2019 World Cup and the 2020 Olympiad. This was welcomed by the PB and was approved dependant upon no other bid being received prior to the closing of the Bidding Process. As no other bid has been received in time, the Khanty-Mansiysk proposal has been approved, pending ratification by the GA in Baku.

The World Youth U16 Olympiad 2017 was awarded to India.
The World Amateur Championship 2017 was awarded to Italy.

The World Schools Individual Championship 2016 will be held in Sochi, Russia, 2nd December to 12th December
The World Schools Individual Championship 2017 will be held in Iasi, Romania
The World Schools Individual Championship 2018 will be held in Durres, Albania
The World Schools Individual Championship 2019 will be held in Sousse, Tunisia

A new event, the World Youth Championship for the Disabled was awarded to Chess Educators and Bay Chess for three years.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Re: Federations in arrears to FIDE

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Mick Norris wrote: As no other bid has been received in time, the Khanty-Mansiysk proposal has been approved, pending ratification by the GA in Baku.
I suppose on paper, the GA in Baku could award the Olympiad to "none of the above". That's unlikely to happen.

Isn't FIDE getting dangerously dependent on the support of a Russian regional authority?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Isn't FIDE getting dangerously dependent on the support of a Russian regional authority?
This is the first I had heard that Khanty-Mansiysk was bidding for 2019/20, or that there was a dearth of bids. It is possible that other bidders might have been put off by the prospect of competing with them, but that is pure speculation. The requirement to hold both the World Cup and the Olympiad may be a dampener.

Khanty is in principle a very pleasant place for an Olympiad ( subject to time of year ) but they really must get the charter flights right. Last time, that was a completely unnecessary killer.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Isn't FIDE getting dangerously dependent on the support of a Russian regional authority?
FIDE is under control of the Russians is what lots of people think :lol:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:05 pm

Mick Norris wrote: FIDE is under control of the Russians is what lots of people think
Ukraine has been added to the "no pay" list.
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ended.html

They haven't paid FIDE's tax on the Women's World Championship prize fund.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: They haven't paid FIDE's tax on the Women's World Championship prize fund.
It's difficult to see any excuse for that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Mick Norris wrote:I came across this list of 39 nations and wondered if this was a normal state of affairs i.e. to have so many in arrears?

I haven't double checked against the map of FIDE events but guess there are no cross overs
What are the consequences of this?

I've just played in the Bangkok Chess Club Open and see that Thailand is on the list of countries in arrears. I also see that the Philippines is on the list and one of my opponents came from there.

Does this mean that the whole event won't be rated until Thailand pay up and my game against the Filipino won't be rated until they pay up?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:I came across this list of 39 nations and wondered if this was a normal state of affairs i.e. to have so many in arrears?

What are the consequences of this?
Not sure, though Eljanov technically would go into Norway Chess as an unrated player

rating card

No idea why he retains rapid and blitz ratings

I would still like to know if it is normal to have so many Federations in arrears though

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Mick Norris wrote: I would still like to know if it is normal to have so many Federations in arrears though
If Federations in arrears are denied votes in elections for the President, the imminence of an election tends to sort things out. There's no election due until 2018.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Mick Norris wrote: No idea why he retains rapid and blitz ratings
Or his GM title!?!

However, his card now seems to have his rating re-instated, and Ukraine no longer appears on the list of defaulting countries, so maybe they've now paid up.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:33 pm

Mick Norris wrote: Not sure, though Eljanov technically would go into Norway Chess as an unrated player
No, the player retains his rating and plays rated games in the normal way. The rating is just hidden, and anyone who needs to know it has to ask FIDE. In practice it's more nuisance for other federations and for FIDE itself than for the federation being punished, and for this reason I thought they had stopped doing it.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:However, his card now seems to have his rating re-instated, and Ukraine no longer appears on the list of defaulting countries, so maybe they've now paid up.
That's good news