Dubai open

The very latest International round up of English news.
MJMcCready

Re: Dubai open

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 am

How many contestants are there for the Dubai Open?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:55 am

188 today. Looks like one of them overslept this morning on board 8.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:02 am

NickFaulks wrote:188 today. Looks like one of them overslept this morning on board 8.
Being ground down by Sargissian obviously not reason enough to get up early :roll:

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:25 am

Double round today ... some might have forgotten that ... 10 am start not ideal when people got back from the Blitz for dinner at 11pm on the bus.

Paul

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:29 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:188 today. Looks like one of them overslept this morning on board 8.
Being ground down by Sargissian obviously not reason enough to get up early :roll:
So here's my question (and btw I know you can't answer it but please try) why are there so few entrants given the prize money. I know of another tournament taking place right now with a fraction of the prize money on offer yet the number of entrants is almost treble that AND MORE IMPORTANTLY a large number of them are loyal to the tournament because they enjoy itand care not about what is on offer.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:38 am

Okay, out of kindness I'll tell you the answer. But before I do, I must add context, I have worked in the Gulf, and the UAE before, or many years in fact. All they have is money. They think 'let's just throw money at people and then they will come but it's not quite like that. Some of us enjoy a tournament which has continuity and a strong social element.

Dubai chess club, like so many others in that region is a soulless place. Their tournaments are about come take our money and only that. There is no other aspect to it.

The Thai Open offers arguably the lowest first prize on the planet for a recognized international tournament. The Dubai open even planned to move its dates completely because it couldn't compete but no one cares about what little money is on offer the spirit of the tournament means that everyone is happy to play. At the Thai Open everything is done properly and unlike the UAE, you can have a nice holiday after your tournament too.

AND if you play in Dubai or that godforsaken Al-Ain tournament with its skeletal staff
the organizers don't care who you are unless you are 2600 plus. Otherwise they will look down on you and reluctantly help if you ever need it if you are lucky. The will also do as little as possible such as controlling kids running about and people using phones. LIke I said go to the gulf to get money only, then move on like everyone else does. I suggest you think of playing in a tournament that has more to offer than just money itself and enjoy life.
Last edited by MJMcCready on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:06 am

MJMcCready wrote: LIke I said go to the gulf to get money only, don't go there for any other reason unless you are autistic or something.
Hmmmmmm.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:08 am

Not ignoring MJM, who makes a very interesting point, but back to the extraordinary game on top board. Why didn't 17.Qd4 win? It's not a move anyone would miss, so the players must have seen something suspicious about it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:17 am

NickFaulks wrote: Why didn't 17.Qd4 win? It's not a move anyone would miss, so the players must have seen something suspicious about it.
Assuming this is the Howell - Akopian game, the Stockfish at chessbomb agrees that Qd4 is best. The resulting suggested line is a bit messy with the King wandering about, but so is the actual game.

(edit) As we aren't watching an Agon tournament, this is the game so far

With an engine suggested line after 17 Qd4

(/edit)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:34 am

Both players now on increment, so we have entered random shambles mode.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:39 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: Assuming this is the Howell - Akopian game
Yes, that is the game I referenced on top board. That quibble aside, thanks for the analysis - I think this game will be worthy of study by anyone who likes to give a piece away for a bit of fun, or who faces opponents of that ilk.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:44 am

A serious question for any IMs here. Would you give consideration to 12...Bb4, and would you be worried if your opponent played it? I'm ruling out any possibility that it's preparation, which would obviously worry anybody.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:55 am

NickFaulks wrote:Both players now on increment, so we have entered random shambles mode.
And so it proved. Black wins, although since the white king happened to end up on e4 the result is naturally misreported as a draw. Often Howell performs well in this nonsense, but not this morning.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:00 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: With an engine suggested line after 17 Qd4

What has Black got in the final position? To me he's just a piece down.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:07 am

NickFaulks wrote: I'm ruling out any possibility that it's preparation, which would obviously worry anybody.
Whilst none of the moves before Bb4 are particularly outlandish, they have been on original territory as far as previously played games are concerned since around move 5. David Howell does have this characteristic style of leaving his king in the centre, most non-GMs would tidy up their position with Bg2 and O-O before starting central action with e4.