17th European Individual

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Re: 17th European Individual

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 16, 2016 9:05 pm

Gawain drew

Rd. Bo. No. Name Typ Gr FED Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Typ Gr FED Rtg No.
6 32 18 GM Howell David W L ACP ENG 2671 3 3 GM Antal Gergely HUN 2539 92
6 39 100 GM Andersen Mads DEN 2505 3 3 GM Jones Gawain C B ACP ENG 2657 27
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Mick Norris wrote: Rd. Bo. No. Name Typ Gr FED Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Typ Gr FED Rtg No.
I joined today's games after 40 minutes. Howell still thinking (over seven minutes now) about his sixth move in a standard QG Accepted!
His first move time is showing as more than 7 minutes so he was presumably late again.
Often he gets into bad time trouble.
Why does a potential top-100 player keep handicapping himself like this?

A BIT LATER: Howell finally made move six in just under 9 minutes.
Jones is playing a Sicilian Dragadorf - could get exciting.

On board 4 Berges-Vitiukov agreed drawn in 10 moves. Playing to keep qualification for the World Cup safe I suppose. Or maybe they are good friends.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: Rd. Bo. No. Name Typ Gr FED Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Typ Gr FED Rtg No.
I joined today's games after 40 minutes. Howell still thinking (over seven minutes now) about his sixth move in a standard QG Accepted!
His first move time is showing as more than 7 minutes so he was presumably late again.

The Bg4 lines aren't that common, especially for a player that has played 1 e4 for most of his career.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2016 3:35 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: The Bg4 lines aren't that common, especially for a player that has played 1 e4 for most of his career.
Maybe, but that doesn't explain the 7 minutes late does it?

I suppose that after 1 Nf3 d5 2 d4 Nf6 3 c4 dxc4 4 Nf3 Bg4 5 h3 Bh5 Howell was thinking about 6 g4 Bg6 7 Ne5 since both 6 Nc3 and 6 Bxc4 usually lead to the same position next move. It has now continued 6 Nc3 e6 7 Bxc4 Nc6 8 g4. Howell nearly half an hour behind on the clock.

The Jones game is too weird for me; 5...g6 but his B is still on f8. is this normal?
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 17, 2016 3:44 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: The Bg4 lines aren't that common, especially for a player that has played 1 e4 for most of his career.
I don't recall making a comment about that so not sure what point you are trying to make :?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Tim Harding wrote: The Jones game is too weird for me; 5...g6 but his B is still on f8. is this normal?
They are following a Simon Williams game from around five years ago. Given that Gawain later played .. e5, leaving the Bishop on f8 has a logic to it. It also fights for a tempo, in the event of White trying Bh6.

Combining g6 with a6 is a slightly strange hybrid, although Botvinnik played it in the 1960s, against John Littlewood at Hastings being one well recorded encounter.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2016 4:08 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:
I don't recall making a comment about that so not sure what point you are trying to make :?
My main point was about handicapping himself by late arrival when he is also a time trouble addict.
Then spending unnecessary time on obvious moves was a secondary point.
True, he could reckon that move 6 was a major decision but many players would think they had better make up for wasted time with a couple of quick natural and dafe moves (Nc3 and Bxc4) and the sequence in which these are played would have no real significance so why spend 10 minutes on it...
Tim Harding

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:
My main point was about handicapping himself by late arrival when he is also a time trouble addict.
Then spending unnecessary time on obvious moves was a secondary point.
True, he could reckon that move 6 was a major decision but many players would think they had better make up for wasted time with a couple of quick natural and dafe moves (Nc3 and Bxc4) and the sequence in which these are played would have no real significance so why spend 10 minutes on it...
His opponent has never played 4...Bg4 before as far as I am aware so it's only natural to spend some time deciding on what set up to employ against it.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 17, 2016 4:58 pm

Tim Harding wrote:I joined today's games after 40 minutes. Howell still thinking (over seven minutes now) about his sixth move in a standard QG Accepted!

Where are you watching the games? chess24live has packed up, TWIC also has Howell stopping at move 11, but Gawain's game still going at move 22

If you are trusting the move times on chess24live, then you haven't necessarily got accurate data
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2016 5:05 pm

Yes it does look as if Howell's live board may have broken down. I don't think it's necessarily a chess24 problem.

Wojtaszek and Navara seem to have agreed a draw.

I wasn't watching for the last 20-30 minutes as I was composing a long new piece in the Seniors section concerning some changes in future events, especially conditions for the 2016 World Senior Individual and different venue for the 2017 World Senior Individual. Those who may be interested are invited to read that and comment.
Tim Harding

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:I joined today's games after 40 minutes. Howell still thinking (over seven minutes now) about his sixth move in a standard QG Accepted!

Where are you watching the games? chess24live has packed up, TWIC also has Howell stopping at move 11, but Gawain's game still going at move 22

If you are trusting the move times on chess24live, then you haven't necessarily got accurate data
Chess24, it seemed to grind to a halt for 30 minutes or more but going again now. Gawain has knight+2 pawns for a rook whilst David's position is in the early middle game.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Howell and opponent down to increment at 6.21pm BST, at move 37 in ending about equal but unbalanced
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2016 6:26 pm

Dylan Loeb McClain (the AGON man some of you love to hate) has an article about The Shrinking European Championship:

http://worldchess.com/2016/05/16/the-sh ... mpionship/

The tournament may be nominally weaker than in previous years but neither Howell nor Jones look like gaining the benefit.

They have both made the time control and in each case a draw seems likely.

Howell has R,B,3P v 2 rooks and one pawn. Jones has a pawn for the exchange and is not safe yet, against an opponent rated 150 points lower.
Tim Harding

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Tim Harding wrote:Dylan Loeb McClain (the AGON man some of you love to hate) has an article about The Shrinking European Championship:

http://worldchess.com/2016/05/16/the-sh ... mpionship/

The tournament may be nominally weaker than in previous years but neither Howell nor Jones look like gaining the benefit.

They have both made the time control and in each case a draw seems likely.

Howell has R,B,3P v 2 rooks and one pawn. Jones has a pawn for the exchange and is not safe yet, against an opponent rated 150 points lower.
Gawain has drawn, his opponent deciding it wasn't worth winning the a pawn and trying to play what I assume was a drawn ending with RR+2 v RN+3 all on the same side.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 pm

David Howell drew.