Shamkir Chess

The very latest International round up of English news.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Shamkir Chess

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:32 pm

Rather a sobering tournament for the world's current top female player.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:34 pm

i predict she'll retire before 2017
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Steven DuCharme wrote:i predict she'll retire before 2017
I'll take that bet.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Rather a sobering tournament for the world's current top female player.
Disappointing yes, but still after losing 10 FIDE Elo points Hou Yifan remains higher rated than all but four British players, two of whom are semi-retired amateurs. She also remains China's ninth highest rated player which is not bad going.

I doubt she will abandon the quest to surpass Judit Polgar's achievements just yet. Whether she can ever do it is another matter.

I suspect the player who is least happy with his tournament in Shamkir is Karjakin.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:Rather a sobering tournament for the world's current top female player.
Disappointing yes, but still after losing 10 FIDE Elo points Hou Yifan remains higher rated than all but four British players, two of whom are semi-retired amateurs. She also remains China's ninth highest rated player which is not bad going.

I doubt she will abandon the quest to surpass Judit Polgar's achievements just yet. Whether she can ever do it is another matter.

I suspect the player who is least happy with his tournament in Shamkir is Karjakin.
She's very young and still has plenty of time to improve. Maybe once she's finished her studies, she'll be able to do more specific preparation for these type of events.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:

She's very young and still has plenty of time to improve. Maybe once she's finished her studies, she'll be able to do more specific preparation for these type of events.
I completely agree; because she has been around so long, people may tend to forget that Hou Yifan is a few years younger than Magnus Carlsen etc (same birth year as Anish Giri).
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Tim Harding wrote: ...
Agreed. Even allowing for the "keeping his powder dry" argument, there was nothing to suggest that he has reached a new level in playing strength.

Even Nigel Short managed to do that. A few months before he played Kasparaov in 1993, he beat Kramnik and Anand in the last three rounds of an event in Amsterdam and shared first place with them.