England Olympiad teams announcement

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Re: England Olympiad teams announcement

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:29 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Adams on board one - yes; is there really a significant camp suggesting otherwise? Our problem is that we need another of his ilk on board two - ie someone who we feel quite sure is only going to lose rarely, and if/when it happens, then against world class players, and ideally even then only as Black.

As it is, picking board two is very hard. I think Luke, with his rust and time trouble (and lack of significant success for England so far) is too much of a gamble (one can't change one's mind half-way through the event!); one can also put a positive spin on it by saying that if he hits form, then you could really imagine him causing havoc on a low board (with both colours). I tend to feel that Gawain had his chance on two last time, and there has not been sufficient improvement in the meantime to give him another chance. Arguments might be made either way between Nigel and David, and much might legitimately depend on their own preferences.
I see we have gone for Mickey, David, Luke, Gawain, Nigel
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:20 am

Nigel on Twitter: Today I am playing on bottom board of the bottom board for what I hope is the first & last time of my Olympiad career #bakuchess

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:39 am

Chris Rice wrote:Nigel on Twitter: Today I am playing on bottom board of the bottom board
It's normal practice for IBCA (International Blind Chess Association) to play at a fixed playing location. Nigel slightly exaggerates, it's only match 85. There's a match 86 Costa Rica v Lesotho.

I suppose the members of the England team may have encountered blind players in English domestic tournaments. It's still an unusual experience, although presumably being the Olympiad there will be stewards at each board, so the question of how the moves are communicated doesn't really arise.

England have rested Adams, as is usual English practice in the first round, although Karjakin is playing for Russia.

Carslen is sitting out this round as well, so Richard Jones of Wales only gets to play Hammer.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:England have rested Adams, as is usual English practice in the first round, although Karjakin is playing for Russia.

Carslen is sitting out this round as well, so Richard Jones of Wales only gets to play Hammer.
Yes, no Kramnik, Caruana, Wang Yue, Eljanov or MVL, but Mamedyarov, Wojtaszek, Giri & Topalov play

Wonder if Russia will try and give Kramnik more whites than blacks
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:46 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Adams on board one - yes; is there really a significant camp suggesting otherwise? Our problem is that we need another of his ilk on board two - ie someone who we feel quite sure is only going to lose rarely, and if/when it happens, then against world class players, and ideally even then only as Black.

As it is, picking board two is very hard. I think Luke, with his rust and time trouble (and lack of significant success for England so far) is too much of a gamble (one can't change one's mind half-way through the event!); one can also put a positive spin on it by saying that if he hits form, then you could really imagine him causing havoc on a low board (with both colours). I tend to feel that Gawain had his chance on two last time, and there has not been sufficient improvement in the meantime to give him another chance. Arguments might be made either way between Nigel and David, and much might legitimately depend on their own preferences.
I see we have gone for Mickey, David, Luke, Gawain, Nigel
Yes. As you can see, I am happy with David on 2, but have doubts about Nigel on board 5. I have slight concerns that we might be playing the "pile the points on board four" strategy, which I think has rarely proved effective in Olympiads, especially now when so many teams have greater strength in depth than ever before. Of course, it could well happen, but it is not the sort of thing one should plan on happening.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:00 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Nigel on Twitter: Today I am playing on bottom board of the bottom board for what I hope is the first & last time of my Olympiad career #bakuchess
So out with a bang win every game then feet up strategy is it?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard