England Olympiad teams announcement

The very latest International round up of English news.
MJMcCready

Re: England Olympiad teams announcement

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes, although with at least one player not playing regularly its unlikely to this time around although we won't have to do battle with Armenia this time.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:36 pm

MJMcCready wrote: although we won't have to do battle with Armenia this time.
You don't think England will rise to that level?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:39 pm

I think they beat us last time didn't they but it was a close much from what I remember.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:40 pm

So why won't we play them this time?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:48 pm

They are technically at war with Azerbaijan and refused to enter.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:56 pm

I've always expected them to be there and still do.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 am

Here are two ideas for all teams. 1.Random Arrangement 2.Lower Ranked Team Decides Arrangement.
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:54 pm

There's an outbreak of relative sanity in the instructions to the arbiters for Baku. That contrasts to the "obey orders mentality" at Dresden in 2008 in particular.

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... biters.pdf
Check if all players of both teams are present. Zero Tolerance Rule will not be in effect and the default time will be fifteen (15) minutes. Immediately inform the Sector Arbiter if any player is not present after the 15 minutes from the start of the round passed. It should be done every effort to avoid any forfeit of any player.
There's a lot of emphasis in the document about the arbiters being required to watch the matches at all times. This precludes arbiters from reading a book, using their mobile phones, wandering around as spectators, ordering and consuming pies etc. Cheating at Olympiads has been suspected or even established in the past.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:There's an outbreak of relative sanity in the instructions to the arbiters for Baku. That contrasts to the "obey orders mentality" at Dresden in 2008 in particular.

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... biters.pdf
Check if all players of both teams are present. Zero Tolerance Rule will not be in effect and the default time will be fifteen (15) minutes. Immediately inform the Sector Arbiter if any player is not present after the 15 minutes from the start of the round passed. It should be done every effort to avoid any forfeit of any player.
There's a lot of emphasis in the document about the arbiters being required to watch the matches at all times. This precludes arbiters from reading a book, using their mobile phones, wandering around as spectators, ordering and consuming pies etc. Cheating at Olympiads has been suspected or even established in the past.
You're unusually slow to stumble upon this. The change of default time from 0 minutes to 15 minutes was published as a success by the ACP in one of its meetings with FIDE much earlier in the year.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:22 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: You're unusually slow to stumble upon this.
Perhaps I missed the ECF announcement and you could provide a link.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:48 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: You're unusually slow to stumble upon this.
Perhaps I missed the ECF announcement and you could provide a link.
Nothing to do with the ECF. It was FIDE and ACP, to the best of my knowledge. I was aware of it from an Email Sutovsky Facebook post.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:08 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Nothing to do with the ECF. It was FIDE and ACP, to the best of my knowledge. I was aware of it from an Email Sutovsky Facebook post.
It's of interest to British players that play in International events, particularly FIDE ones. I would have though it worth a modest formal announcement by the ECF, a welcome even.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:23 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Nothing to do with the ECF. It was FIDE and ACP, to the best of my knowledge. I was aware of it from an Emil Sutovsky Facebook post.
It's of interest to British players that play in International events, particularly FIDE ones. I would have though it worth a modest formal announcement by the ECF, a welcome even.
The announcement was about the Olympiad only, and so it is not really of wide relevance. Other international events have been doing their own thing for years anyway. The World Youth in 2014 even had a 15-minute default time, so this really isn't news.
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:07 am

"Nothing to do with the ECF. It was FIDE and ACP, to the best of my knowledge. I was aware of it from an Email Sutovsky Facebook post."

Is Emil Sutovsky's Facebook page a primary source?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Nothing to do with the ECF. It was FIDE and ACP, to the best of my knowledge. I was aware of it from an Email Sutovsky Facebook post."

Is Emil Sutovsky's Facebook page a primary source?
Well, he's the President of the ACP, and to the best of my memory, he posted it both in a personal capacity and on the ACP's Facebook page. That's good enough for me, even if it isn't for some other people.