23rd Abu Dhabi Int. Chess Festival Masters Tournament

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

23rd Abu Dhabi Int. Chess Festival Masters Tournament

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Masters: http://chess-results.com/tnr224908.aspx ... =30&wi=984 includes David Eggleston, Alistair Hill, Ian Thompson & Paul Dargan.

Mike W. Richardt

Re: 23rd Abu Dhabi Int. Chess Festival Masters Tournament

Post by Mike W. Richardt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:18 pm

I try to go there this week and post some pictures on my blog.
Looks like a good tournament!!!!
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri - I am not bound to believe in the word of any master
http://www.mikerichardt.co.uk

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:22 pm

David Eggleston has lost in rather bizarre fashion. I'm no expert but I would suggest that black's second move can't be his best but it seems to have worked as white came out of the opening slightly worse.

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2016/1/1/4

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 pm

MJMcCready wrote: I'm no expert but I would suggest that black's second move can't be his best but it seems to have worked as white came out of the opening slightly worse.
It's a known slightly suspect idea, sometimes given the name "Brooklyn Variation".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alekhine% ... to_2...Nd5

According to chess24's engine, Qb5+ was incorrect and he should have played Nc3 first.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: According to chess24's engine, Qb5+ was incorrect and he should have played Nc3 first.
You can't help feeling that White missed the ...0-0-0 idea when he launched Qb5+. Must have come as a nasty shock if so.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:07 pm

NickFaulks wrote: You can't help feeling that White missed the ...0-0-0 idea when he launched Qb5+. Must have come as a nasty shock if so.
Courtesy of chessbomb, here's the entire game.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:59 am

The British result of the day though was surely Alistair Hill beating American GM Kayden Troff.

Paul

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:46 am

Paul Dargan wrote:The British result of the day though was surely Alistair Hill beating American GM Kayden Troff.

Paul
Great game, total crush, a pleasure to play through.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:12 am

Paul Dargan wrote:The British result of the day though was surely Alistair Hill beating American GM Kayden Troff.

Paul
:D Great result let's hope more follow
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:34 am

I failed to capitalise on my chances sadly ... when I bailed with Rxb5 (too late an earlier Rcxb5 was winning) ... I missed that Bxf3; Bxf3 Rxb5; a8=q?? is in fact (quite amusingly) losing for White ...

Paul

Mike W. Richardt

Post by Mike W. Richardt » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:44 am

I assume Ian Thompson didn't travel to Abu Dhabi?

I probably come the tournament tomorrow afternoon and have a look around, shoot some pics and write a little report.
I maybe able to talk to some of you guys!!!

Tough next game for Alistair although I bet he relishes the opportunity to play a player like Hao Wang
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri - I am not bound to believe in the word of any master
http://www.mikerichardt.co.uk

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
MJMcCready wrote: I'm no expert but I would suggest that black's second move can't be his best but it seems to have worked as white came out of the opening slightly worse.
It's a known slightly suspect idea, sometimes given the name "Brooklyn Variation".

According to chess24's engine, Qb5+ was incorrect and he should have played Nc3 first.
That thing has a name?! I don't know which is dafter, Ng8 itself or the propensity to give every opening, however bad or silly a name. I suppose regarding the comments made, it is easy for white to over-extend, and there are lines in the French both the Winawer and Tarrasch where black plays backwards within 3-4 moves, so I do understand, just doesn't look right to play Ng8. Just an attempt to catch a lower rated player out and perhaps put him on tilt over the audacity of it.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:

Paul
Great game, total crush, a pleasure to play through.
A great result but black's play was a bit suspect. He opened up the centre with little development on the kingside. I can't help but feel he was either over-confident or trying to provoke his opponent, in any event it back fired. Prior to that 7. ...c4 looks suspect as well. However all that said the game was still there to be won and Rxf6 was a nice play.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:12 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:

That thing has a name?! I don't know which is dafter, Ng8 itself or the propensity to give every opening, however bad or silly a name. I suppose regarding the comments made, it is easy for white to over-extend, and there are lines in the French both the Winawer and Tarrasch where black plays backwards within 3-4 moves, so I do understand, just doesn't look right to play Ng8. Just an attempt to catch a lower rated player out and perhaps put him on tilt over the audacity of it.
I can assure you, some much *much* sillier openings than that (once played by a world champion) variation have a name.

For instance, ever looked up the (distinctly un-PC monikered) Irish Gambit?? :lol:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

I know that one. But I don't think a world champion played it.