General Assembly 2016 Decisions

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

General Assembly 2016 Decisions

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:50 am

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... sions.html

"GA-2016/20. To authorize the Presidential Board to deal with the issues which refer to the interaction of several Commissions and approve the other Commissions Reports after necessary changes."

So it's official - the reports of almost all Commissions were not accepted, and the GA has devolved to the PB ( in practice the Deputy President ) the right to rewrite them in any way it/he sees fit. There was, and will be, no wider discussion. This applies even to those Commissions, in control of the Laws, Titles and Ratings, where for good reason the politicians are forbidden by the Statutes from interfering.

I wonder how many delegates had any idea they were doing this.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Re: General Assembly 2016 Decisions

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:03 am

NickFaulks wrote:I wonder how many delegates had any idea they were doing this.
I'm not a delegate, but I expected something like this would both happen, and was expected to happen. The version of the Laws put to the General Assembly were titled version "FINAL 1", which seemed to imply there was nothing final about them at all. There don't appear to be any Presidential Board Meetings scheduled, alas.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:15 pm

NickFaulks wrote: So it's official - the reports of almost all Commissions were not accepted, and the GA has devolved to the PB ( in practice the Deputy President ) the right to rewrite them in any way it/he sees fit. There was, and will be, no wider discussion. This applies even to those Commissions, in control of the Laws, Titles and Ratings, where for good reason the politicians are forbidden by the Statutes from interfering.
I await members of those Commissions resigning in protest. But I'm not holding my breath.

NickFaulks wrote:I wonder how many delegates had any idea they were doing this.
110 Federations, including Bermuda, voted for Kirsan Ilyumzhinov's ticket in 2014. They only have themselves to blame.

Alex Holowczak wrote:There don't appear to be any Presidential Board Meetings scheduled, alas.
I expect there to be a Presidential Board Meeting during the World Championship match in New York.

I also expect that the US authorities will not allow Ilyumzhinov to attend.

Hence, as Nick said, Deputy President Georgios Makropoulos will be more powerful than ever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: I await members of those Commissions resigning in protest.
I think it's reasonable to wait and see how this turns out. No new regulations go into effect until 1.7.2017.
110 Federations, including Bermuda, voted for Kirsan Ilyumzhinov's ticket in 2014. They only have themselves to blame.
That may be true, although the Kasparov / Leong camp had no time for Commissions at all. Perhaps many of the Kirsan supporting federations really are content to let his team do whatever it likes. Surely the more interesting question is why not a peep was heard in Baku from their known opponents.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:17 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Surely the more interesting question is why not a peep was heard in Baku from their known opponents.
Kasparov has seemingly abandoned attempts to become FIDE President, even by proxy. Given the support for the current regime by federations such as Bermuda among others, is it not the case that Kirsan will only stand down if forced to by his apparent masters in the Kremlin? So an internal coup replacing him by Filatov perhaps. He's not going to be ousted by a General Assembly vote, even if a sufficiently thick skinned candidare could be found.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Kasparov has seemingly abandoned attempts to become FIDE President, even by proxy.
That's not my impression.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:42 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Given the support for the current regime by federations
My belief is that a large number of federations are now ready to give their support to a new candidate who is not considered fatally objectionable. I think that would rule out a mainstream Russian.