World Championship Final Round Predictions

The very latest International round up of English news.
John McKenna

Re: World Championship Final Round Predictions

Post by John McKenna » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:I've been surprised Magnus hasn't gone after the QID, since it looks like the weakest point of Sergey's armour. All the other elite GMs are playing 3...d5 instead of 3...b6 at the moment. Maybe Magnus is giving the QGD due respect, but I was expecting at least an enquiry as to Sergey's main defence.

Avoiding 1.c4 and 1.Nf3 makes more sense to me. A way to duck theory against some people, but Sergey is the leading expert in the most solid and theoretically respectable lines of the symmetrical structure.

If either player had a devastating novelty up his sleeve, I think we'd have seen it already. So I'm expecting another tense game in an equal but unbalanced position.
Hello Paul, good to see you back and on the ball.

Now that I'm absolutely sure that Chris Rice will definitely not be at the venue I predict a draw, tonight, after a few twists and turns. Then a narrow victory for Magnus in the end, but before Armageddon.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:00 pm

David Robertson wrote:The opening moves will be:

1 e4 c5; 2 Nf3 e6; 3 d4 cxd4; 4 Nxd4 Nc6
Dream on.

I said after game 10 I thought Magnus would win game 12. That’s still my guess. Or perhaps it’s my hope.

Magnus definitely still favourite to win the match - but Karjakin’s chances have improved since game 1.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:I've been surprised Magnus hasn't gone after the QID ....
Didn’t Karjakin play 2 ... d5 in game 8?

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
David Robertson wrote:The opening moves will be:

1 e4 c5; 2 Nf3 e6; 3 d4 cxd4; 4 Nxd4 Nc6
Dream on.

I said after game 10 I thought Magnus would win game 12. That’s still my guess. Or perhaps it’s my hope.

Magnus definitely still favourite to win the match - but Karjakin’s chances have improved since game 1.
I think Prof. Robertson was joking as the variation he stated is the Taimanov variation and Taimanov passed away today.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Indeed Jonathan, maybe a hint at QGD. But slightly different after 2.nf3 which discourages e6 a bit.

So Re1 anti-Berlin in fact. Very cautious, and looks like those predicting a quick draw were right

Jan Gustafsson arguing probably a good match strategy if Magnus thinks he is stronger in rapid.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:26 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:A draw in under 30 moves.
Boring.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:35 pm

to think i rushed home from work for this... One point i must make is that most said Carlsen would murder Karjakin in normal time control and the same people are saying Carlsen will batter him in the tiebreaks... it will be interesting to see what will happen

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Was not expecting any play tonight but anyway I expect Carlsen to win unless there is a major problem (earthquake, riot, powercut).
Is next game on 30th? Any excuse not to go out as expecting freezing & snow at CCF)...