London Classic Grand Tour

The very latest International round up of English news.
John McKenna

Re: London Classic Grand Tour

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:17 am

Guys, Geoff Chandler will be along to admonish us - me for no diag. and you(s) for not even giving the drawing move's name, rank and serial no. I give up.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:27 am

Here's the whole game

and the position showing the drawing resource.

Earlier the chessbomb stockfish doesn't think giving up the pawn by 45. .. Qe4 is the best move, but seeking active play is a plausible idea and not a blunder.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:47 am

It doesn't seem obvious to me that 61. e7+ Ke8 62. Ke6 <knight move> 63. Kd6 is drawn (though Stockfish tells me it is).

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice try, Angus -
Angus French wrote:It doesn't seem obvious to me that 61. e7+ Ke8 62. Ke6 <knight move> 63. Kd6 is drawn (though Stockfish tells me it is).
And, thanks to Roger for appearing the save -
Roger de Coverly wrote:Here's the whole game

and the position showing the drawing resource.

Earlier the chessbomb stockfish doesn't think giving up the pawn by 45. .. Qe4 is the best move, but seeking active play is a plausible idea and not a blunder.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Rest day today.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:Was there more going on in Nakamura-Kramnik than I thought?
That's a bit cryptic, Justin. What are you referring to?
Well I didn't pay much attention to that game, it just looked pretty equal all the way and there were exciting things going on elsewhere. So when I see Seirawan talking about outstanding, superstar moves I start wondering what I was missing!
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Angus French wrote:It doesn't seem obvious to me that 61. e7+ Ke8 62. Ke6 <knight move> 63. Kd6 is drawn (though Stockfish tells me it is).
Good point. Who has the better of the draw there? Is White pressing for the win, or does it suddenly fall apart and White has to take a draw? There was one line earlier, where Black suddenly starts winning. One tempo can make all the difference.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Good point. Who has the better of the draw there? Is White pressing for the win, or does it suddenly fall apart and White has to take a draw? There was one line earlier, where Black suddenly starts winning. One tempo can make all the difference.
I had a quick look at that and thought that Nf7-h6-f5xd4 was in time to draw but I'm saying that without the position in front of me :oops:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:34 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
I had a quick look at that and thought that Nf7-h6-f5xd4 was in time to draw but I'm saying that without the position in front of me :oops:
I think White plays f5 and f7 and mates (or wins the knight). The Black knight probably needs to go to g5 with check after Ke6, and then to f7 or f3, but White does seem to win all the Black pawns and have chances to try and queen the White c- and d-pawns. Question is, why didn't Nakamura at least try this. Is it so obviously a draw to him and Kramnik?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Question is, why didn't Nakamura at least try this. Is it so obviously a draw to him and Kramnik?
Yes :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 pm

The video on chess24 (which I was watching live) shows clearly that only after 57...Nd8 Nakamura suddenly saw the stalemate resource which Kramnik must have spotted several moves earlier. Nakamura is not able to do oriental inscrutability and his expressions were a marvel to behold.
Eventually he must have realised there was no way to safely avoid it, though he spent a good bit of time on both moves 58 and 59. The two had a lengthy and friendly post-mortem afterwards.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:17 pm

Tim Harding wrote:The video on chess24 (which I was watching live) shows clearly that only after 57...Nd8 Nakamura suddenly saw the stalemate resource which Kramnik must have spotted several moves earlier. Nakamura is not able to do oriental inscrutability and his expressions were a marvel to behold.
Kramnik said he saw the whole variation into the Knight vs pawns ending (but not as far as the stalemate) when playing 45...Qe4. It's not totally clear when he spotted the stalemate try.

On Nakamura's expressions, you may have seen it already, but someone's made a short compilation of them and put them to music:
https://twitter.com/AntonSquaredMe/stat ... 1317724162

Edit: corrected N to Q...
Last edited by Matt Fletcher on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:06 am

"On Nakamura's expressions, you may have seen it already, but someone's made a short compilation of them and put them to music:
https://twitter.com/AntonSquaredMe/stat ... 1317724162"

That's great. At Gibraltar about ten years ago, Tony Ashby and I played Nakamura and partner in the pairs event (you move alternately, except for the pair who cheated against us in the last round). I attacked Nakamura's queen in the opening and his partner failed to extricate it. The look on Hikaru's face was quite spectacular, although he very politely resigned and congratulated us. He stomped off with shame-faced partner, but returned soon after (beer in hand - probably the fine) and seemed quite relaxed.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Giri has now drawn 5 out of 5. Surely not.......?
He might struggle to maintain that run today.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Giri is in danger of winning !