2017 FIDE Women's World Championship (Tehran)

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: 2017 FIDE Women's World Championship (Tehran)

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: Okay then. £50 at evens that, if Ilyumzhinov stands, you support him in preference to any other candidate who stands.
Done. I don't expect to win anything, but I can't lose. I opposed the Kasparov candidacies of 2010 and 2014 because I did not believe FIDE could survive four years of him, but I did think FIDE could survive four years of Kirsan. I don't believe I have been proved wrong. The difference now is that I don't think it can survive four years of either of them. I find that to be a widespread view, so hopefully that contest will not be replayed.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Any ideas who might step into the breach, then?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Any ideas who might step into the breach, then?
As I said a couple of posts up, none. But I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 am

The FIDE decision to suspend Iran's membership as detailed in today's press release for failure to pay what they owe for the Women's World Championship is the only viable option for them though they are of course partly to blame for not obtaining satisfactory bank guarantees in the first place. The suspension will mean no FIDE rated tournaments can be held in Iran, no titles will be given to Iranians and no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments until the Iranian Chess Federation coughs up the readies. So once again its the players and arbiters who had no control over the decision not to pay, or delay the payment to FIDE, that will be the ones to suffer.
Last edited by Chris Rice on Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 12, 2017 9:09 am

Chris Rice wrote:and no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments
That's a harsher sanction than applied to Bulgarian players, who are still allowed to play, even in FIDE Championship events, albeit under a "FIDE" flag.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 12, 2017 10:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:and no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments
That's a harsher sanction than applied to Bulgarian players, who are still allowed to play, even in FIDE Championship events, albeit under a "FIDE" flag.
Yes, this does seem extreme. Best guess must be that the Iranians have the money sitting in the bank and will now pay up.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri May 12, 2017 11:57 am

Chris Rice wrote:The FIDE decision to suspend Iran's membership as detailed in today's press release for failure to pay what they owe for the Women's World Championship is the only viable option for them though they are of course partly to blame for not obtaining satisfactory bank guarantees in the first place. The suspension will mean no FIDE rated tournaments can be held in Iran, no titles will be given to Iranians and no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments until the Iranian Chess Federation coughs up the readies. So once again its the players and arbiters who had no control over the decision not to pay, or delay the payment to FIDE, that will be the ones to suffer.
The article has been removed so maybe they paid up :shock:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 12, 2017 12:53 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:The article has been removed so maybe they paid up :shock:
I wouldn't assume that until federations get an email nullifying the first one.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri May 12, 2017 1:24 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:The article has been removed so maybe they paid up :shock:
I wouldn't assume that until federations get an email nullifying the first one.
That's why I said maybe, they don't appear on the list of federations in arrears either: http://ratings.fide.com/arrears.phtml but I'm not sure if they were listed prior to the removal of the statement.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 12, 2017 1:32 pm

In arrears means owe some money?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 12, 2017 1:43 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:In arrears means owe some money?
Yes.
LawrenceCooper wrote:That's why I said maybe, they don't appear on the list of federations in arrears either: http://ratings.fide.com/arrears.phtml but I'm not sure if they were listed prior to the removal of the statement.
I don't think that Iran were listed.

It's a list of those with "normal" arrears, essentially not having paid the six monthly invoices.

Failing to pay the contracted sums for a World Championship is of a different order of magnitude.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 12, 2017 8:20 pm

I thought MR. Pahlevanzadeh said the prize money was preparred.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 12, 2017 8:21 pm

So no rated tournaments now?
What would happen to us players and trainers?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat May 13, 2017 1:56 am

Forget your ratings & standings for a while and just play and teach chess. FIDE are not the be all and end all, unless you aspire to be World Champ.