2017 FIDE Women's World Championship (Tehran)

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: 2017 FIDE Women's World Championship (Tehran)

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:Why is it only in chess that we always get this grouching? If a Wimbledon outsider came through after beating seeds 1, 2 and 4, there would be nothing but praise, rather than complaints about tiebreaks and scrambled saved match points.
Yes, but the Wimbledon Champions don't become World Champion, or even World Number One, albeit they gain a lot of points towards the latter.

Reverting to chess, it doesn't seem to have been suggested that the winner of the British Knockout Championship should become the British Champion, although up to now the BKO has clearly been a stronger event than the British Championship.
NickFaulks wrote:That said, it doesn't seem right for a tournament with this format to dethrone a sitting classical champion, whether she played in it or not.
That rather makes my point.
So if Tan won this by virtue of coming through a Candidates tournament, and then winning a match against the incumbent Champion (despite being seeded 14 at the start of the tournament), everyone would be satisfied with that?
I expect most would. Winning a match against the incumbent was quite a big thing to add there!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:58 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:Why is it only in chess that we always get this grouching? If a Wimbledon outsider came through after beating seeds 1, 2 and 4, there would be nothing but praise, rather than complaints about tiebreaks and scrambled saved match points.
Yes, but the Wimbledon Champions don't become World Champion, or even World Number One, albeit they gain a lot of points towards the latter.

Reverting to chess, it doesn't seem to have been suggested that the winner of the British Knockout Championship should become the British Champion, although up to now the BKO has clearly been a stronger event than the British Championship.
NickFaulks wrote:That said, it doesn't seem right for a tournament with this format to dethrone a sitting classical champion, whether she played in it or not.
That rather makes my point.
I think you are agreeing with each other that the format is not suitable for deciding a World Champion.

But Nick was, I think, making a separate point about knock-outs in general, saying that anyone who knocks out the numbers 1, 2 and 4 seeds is probably a deserving winner! I see that; what, was she supposed to crush them all as well?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:50 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Yes Wimbledon is only one of four Grand Slams, and moreover (highly relevant here) Wimbledon doesn't have tiebreaks in decisive sets.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Again we have already agreed (I think) that any Wimbledon-style knockout is an inappropriate format for a chess world championship.

The question is whether Tan deserved to win this particular tournament, whatever its status should be; and the answer to that, I think, is yes.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: I think you are agreeing with each other that the format is not suitable for deciding a World Champion.

But Nick was, I think, making a separate point about knock-outs in general, saying that anyone who knocks out the numbers 1, 2 and 4 seeds is probably a deserving winner! I see that; what, was she supposed to crush them all as well?
Perhaps not crush them all, but not getting crushed herself in a couple of games would have earned more respect.

Rapid game with Black, it's true, but to lose like this suggests major weaknesses of preparation, judgment and calculation.

And on Wednesday, in a classical time limit game:

Actually this is the game that should have eliminated Tan; Black did well to seize the initiative but ran out of time after missing the clearest win, which I've indicated.

I actually think Harika is a much better player than Tan really but she suffered from nerves at critical moments.
After missing this, she went down in the Armageddon game which is absolutely no way to decide a world champion.

Tan plays like a machine that sometimes has a screw loose.
I hope and expect Tan to lose the match against Ju Wenjun. As somebody said, there shouldn't be any problem about finding a sponsor/venue for that match. It's just a question of what is a decent interval to allow Tan to enjoy the title.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote: I think you are agreeing with each other that the format is not suitable for deciding a World Champion.

Perhaps not crush them all, but not getting crushed herself in a couple of games would have earned more respect.

Rapid game with Black, it's true, but to lose like this suggests major weaknesses of preparation, judgment and calculation.

And on Wednesday, in a classical time limit game:

Actually this is the game that should have eliminated Tan; Black did well to seize the initiative but ran out of time after missing the clearest win, which I've indicated.

I actually think Harika is a much better player than Tan really but she suffered from nerves at critical moments.
After missing this, she went down in the Armageddon game which is absolutely no way to decide a world champion.

Tan plays like a machine that sometimes has a screw loose.
I hope and expect Tan to lose the match against Ju Wenjun. As somebody said, there shouldn't be any problem about finding a sponsor/venue for that match. It's just a question of what is a decent interval to allow Tan to enjoy the title.
I think we can conclude that you aren't a fan of Tan. Given that she has played something like 20 out of 21 days in a high pressure atmosphere against some of the best women in the world then I think mistakes are understandable. Her ability to bounce back from them shows great character.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:08 pm

I think a good term to describe her is "raw". She clearly has it within herself to be a much better player.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Actually, I see the match is due to take place next year in KhantyMansiysk

I would have thought it would get moved to China though
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Tim Harding wrote: I actually think Harika is a much better player than Tan really but she suffered from nerves at critical moments.
Isn't the ability to overcome nerves at critical moments an important part of being a good player in any sport?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:58 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tim Harding wrote: I actually think Harika is a much better player than Tan really but she suffered from nerves at critical moments.
Isn't the ability to overcome nerves at critical moments an important part of being a good player in any sport?
Definitely.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:19 pm

But nerves are more important in this format, effectively a mixed time limit event, than they would be in a classical event.

A great performance by Tan, but I don't think she has proven herself the best woman classical player in the world yet.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:But nerves are more important in this format, effectively a mixed time limit event, than they would be in a classical event.

A great performance by Tan, but I don't think she has proven herself the best woman classical player in the world yet.
I'm sure that she would agree but she won't be the first or last world champion to have that thrown at her.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:56 pm

I doubt Tan knows much about cricket, but I am reminded of the English batsman telling the umpire, "That was never out", which got the reply, "Read tomorrow's paper."

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:10 am

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:14 am

The last paragraph of that article was quite telling:

"If you think Tan can now rest on her laurels and enjoy her world title and new grandmaster status, you can think again! In a somewhat ridiculous state of affairs, Tan will be defending her title in just over six months (late 2017) to her compatriot Ju Wenjun. Whatever happens it will certainly not be an easy match."