"Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced his resignation as FIDE President"

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: "Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced his resignation as FIDE President"

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: I would have thought it generally accepted that if someone declines to stand for a political office, that's it, regardless of whether there's still residual support. FIDE doesn't conduct its election campaigns on the basis of "write in" votes for candidates not on the ballot paper.
I obviously implied "...and if they wish to stand". The federations might like to have Pope Francis as President, but if he doesn't want the job that's the end of that.
FIDE insiders
You use this term a lot. What does it mean?
Given the failed attempt to remove Kirsan
Which never happened, if only because everyone knew there was no mechanism by which he could be removed.
the mechanisms of patronage always support the incumbent.
Not if he has been stripped of all his powers, they don't. Kryptonite has been applied.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

NickFaulks wrote: You use this term a lot. What does it mean?
Those who run FIDE and its numerous commissions and who opposed all of the campaigns of Kok, Karpov and Kasparov. Those who show unquestioning loyalty to Kirsan.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:11 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: and its numerous commissions
Commissions, are you serious? Which ones do you have in mind?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am

Is there a chance that a Kirsan ticket with a suitable vice-president might succeed on the basis that Kirsan remains the figurehead (under US sanctions) and the vice-president exercises the real power? Or might that run into various legal problems? I suppose one way to put that is to ask whether someone (say, Makropoulos) would stand in 2018 as vice-president on a Kirsan ticket? I forget how it works, do the various vice-presidents have to be announced as part of a package, or is the vote for a President and people then trust that the winner keeps his promises and appoints the people he said he would to the various positions? i.e. there is no explicit vote for other FIDE positions other than the one of President?

(The title is actually 'Deputy President', not vice-president).

https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html ... w=category

FIDE Electoral Regulations:

"The Presidential ticket shall be six persons, at least one of whom must be a woman. Nominations on the Presidential ticket shall specify the proposed nominees for the offices of FIDE President, Deputy President, General Secretary, Treasurer and two Vice Presidents."

The bit about election of Vice Presidents (and how many) is complicated!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is there a chance that a Kirsan ticket with a suitable vice-president might succeed
No.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I forget how it works, do the various vice-presidents have to be announced as part of a package, or is the vote for a President and people then trust that the winner keeps his promises and appoints the people he said he would to the various positions? i.e. there is no explicit vote for other FIDE positions other than the one of President?

FIDE Electoral Regulations:

"The Presidential ticket shall be six persons, at least one of whom must be a woman. Nominations on the Presidential ticket shall specify the proposed nominees for the offices of FIDE President, Deputy President, General Secretary, Treasurer and two Vice Presidents."
As the quote from the Regulations suggests, it's a package of six rather than six separate elections. Additional Vice President positions are nominated by the winner and form a mixture of places awarded for reasons of patronage and appeasement of defeated candidates. You may recall the ECF conspiring with Kasparov over an objection to the number of Vice Presidents Kirsan was awarding. Also at that election, I believe Karpov was offered a Vice President's position.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

I wasn't aware of the "at least one of whom must be a woman" provision. It is good that the provision is there, but in a way it shows how far there is still to go in terms of gender equality and opportunities. It ensures that there is at least one woman. But what if it was all women? There is no provision for there to be at least one man. Maybe because whoever drafted that assumed there would always be a man standing in the election? A classic case of unconscious bias.

shaunpress

Post by shaunpress » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: and its numerous commissions
Commissions, are you serious? Which ones do you have in mind?
Nick, I know I'm only basing what I say on my own personal knowledge and experience, but I was given the clear choice between supporting Kirsan in 2014 or losing my spots on the Rules Commission (where I was offered the position of Secretary) and Swiss Pairings. As I did lose my spots on these commissions it is fair to assume that others who remained on, or were appointed to, commissions were rewarded for their support of Kirsan.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:13 pm

There's a cryptic announcement at the FIDE website.
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ction.html

CCA is the continental federation for the Americas.

I'm guessing what they mean is that they won't support Kirsan for re-election in 2018 if he's still subject to sanctions by the USA, although it's sufficiently cryptic to also mean that they wouldn't support Kasparov either.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:04 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:There's a cryptic announcement at the FIDE website.
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ction.html

CCA is the continental federation for the Americas.

I'm guessing what they mean is that they won't support Kirsan for re-election in 2018 if he's still subject to sanctions by the USA, although it's sufficiently cryptic to also mean that they wouldn't support Kasparov either.
Probably not unconnected.

http://kirsan.today/en/politics/item/16 ... -jose.html

I don't believe the statement has anything to say about Kasparov.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Have the sands run out for Kirsan?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Congrats on scooping 'HMV' on this by a good 10 mins.

Suppose I'll have to admit that twittering does have two advantages over other social media - alacrity & brevity.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Mr.Ilyumzhinov you have two careers. In one you're the president of the world chess federation. No one cares about the other one. One of these careers has a future. The other does not. Mr.Ilyumzhinov you are the disease and we are the cure. Stop trying to mate me and mate me! There is no spoon.
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen: