"Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced his resignation as FIDE President"

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: "Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced his resignation as FIDE President"

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:42 pm

JustinHorton wrote:I don't think I know anything about him at all, not even where he's from.
With the exception of the USCF and sometimes Canada, he formed almost all the Federations in the Americas into a Kirsan supporting voting bloc. This opposed the potential presidencies of Kok, Karpov and Kasparov, regardless of any opinions held by players.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:From the editorial line, we can conclude that Peter Doggers now joins Alex Holowczak (partially) on the list of those who support Nick Faulks's view that yesterday's events constituted a surrender by Ilyumzhinov and a triumph for Makropoulos. I still haven't found any other commentator who takes that view.
That's not what I said at all, and I can't even see how you would read into it that way ...
I suggested previously that you supported Nick's view. You protested, reasonably enough, that you had only said that you agreed with one aspect of his assessment.

So, in the post that you quoted, I said that you partially supported Nick's view.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: Probably this:

Mark Crowther‏ @MarkTWIC Apr 10
"No it wouldn't but as I understand it Makro has some health problems and maybe coming towards the end of top FIDE politics himself."
Oh, I'm sure that wasn't there last time I looked. I hate Twitter.

Anyway, I believe this is just Mark's wishful thinking.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:56 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Brian Towers wrote: Really?
I went there just now and at the top of the page it said this:
You need to read the full article to get the flavour of it.
Which is summed up pretty well by the one line update quoted above.
It seems that it's necessary for me to quote from the article. The emboldening of the middle paragraph is of course mine:
ChessDom wrote:Today was the D-day of the FIDE Presidency turmoil. The resignation of the under-sanctions President of FIDE Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was discussed at the FIDE PB extraordinary meeting in Athens. The only agenda on the table behind closed doors was whether or not Kirsan Ilyumzhinov will remain in power.

The odds before the meeting were clear: the FIDE website published official information that Kirsan Ilyumzhinov resigns on March 26th, the Executive director Mr. Freeman and Deputy Makropoulos pointed to Kirsan having submitted his resignation, Continental Presidents Azmaiparashvili and Vega also confirmed the stance of FIDE. On the other side Kirsan Ilyumzhinov had little support, practically only Russia (Dmitry Peskov and Andrey Filatov) staying on his side. Everyone’s expectation was that April 10th is the last day of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in office.

Contrary to the general vibe, the meeting in Athens went peacefully. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov will remain in office until 2018, when the regular FIDE Presidential elections will be held. However, due to multiple factors, the powers of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov will be limited.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Jorge Vega's the guy who interests me, if only because it was his letter that seemed to kick the whole thing off. I don't think I know anything about him at all, not even where he's from. (Guatemala now, I think, but originally?)
I suspect that he's someone whom you would be inclined to regard favourably. In his younger days he fought alongside Che Guevara. (Thanks to Nick Faulks for that information.)

He retains the skills of a guerrilla fighter. At Tromso Congress 2014, he arranged for just enough Federations to boycott the final day's proceedings to ensure that a quorum could not be reached. By limiting the number whom he approached, he ensured that his plan did not leak out prematurely.

I hasten to add that he is also a highly respected and scrupulously fair arbiter.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: It seems that it's necessary for me to quote from the article. The emboldening of the middle paragraph is of course mine:
Sorry, I didn't even find that in the link provided.

In any case, it reflects Chessdom's expectation ( I wonder who they asked ) of what was going to happen. Their reporting of what actually happened looks quite accurate.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

shaunpress

Post by shaunpress » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:So, yes if the Russians either want to keep him in place, or want to defeat another challenger
But it's an election, and you need more than one vote.
But as you and I know Nick, not a clean or fair one.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: It seems that it's necessary for me to quote from the article. The emboldening of the middle paragraph is of course mine:
Sorry, I didn't even find that in the link provided.

In any case, it reflects Chessdom's expectation ( I wonder who they asked ) of what was going to happen. Their reporting of what actually happened looks quite accurate.
I don't think that we disagree very much about what happened. We disagree about who climbed down.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 pm

shaunpress wrote:...
Shaun, thank you for your excellent blog post at http://chessexpress.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... fying.html

You have succinctly expressed, better than I could, what I have been trying to say on here for a day and a half.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Jorge Vega's the guy who interests me
He has visited Bermuda regularly and we have got to know him quite well. A remarkable person. You read often about celebrities who are chess champions, but Jorge is the real deal. He spent evenings in the jungle playing chess against Che, and they were decent players.

Born 1935, I would be reluctant to bet against him in any over 60 chessboxing competition.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 am

David Sedgwick wrote: I don't think that we disagree very much about what happened. We disagree about who climbed down.
Both sides of a potential FIDE civil war would no doubt agree that what they didn't want would be for their divisions to be exploited by the Great Satan himself or an associate. The absence of a "I'll stand down at the next election" statement is either a necessary compromise or back down by those who announced the resignation with enthusiasm.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:38 am

All FIDE disputes should be settled via a game of chess imo. So let it be posted. So let it be done.
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:39 am

David Sedgwick wrote: I don't think that we disagree very much about what happened. We disagree about who climbed down.
It seems to me that the disagreeement is about whether there was a climbdown or whether there was not. A quite different thing.

If a fake news provider builds up a story saying that a group is sharpening the knives and going for the jugular and then discovers that hasn't happened then obviously it is necessary for some damage limitation by reporting a fake climbdown.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:11 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
It seems to me that the disagreement is about whether there was a climbdown or whether there was not. A quite different thing.
I don't accept that contention.

Nick claims that Ilyumzhinov climbed down (see Nick's earlier posts). I claim that Makropoulos and his allies climbed down.

Obviously both claims could be unjustified, but that wasn't the issue in my post.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:33 am

shaunpress wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: But it's an election, and you need more than one vote.
But as you and I know Nick, not a clean or fair one.
There have been some lamentable abuses at the edges, from both sides, and we all know that your federation was a victim. That doesn't mean that a single large federation can hijack the entire process.