"Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced his resignation as FIDE President"

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Re: "Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced his resignation as FIDE President"

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:57 am

shaunpress wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:So, yes if the Russians either want to keep him in place, or want to defeat another challenger
But it's an election, and you need more than one vote.
But as you and I know Nick, not a clean or fair one.
Not many of us have confidence in FIDE conducting an election and emerging with a good President; we will have to wait and see
Any postings on here represent my personal views

shaunpress

Post by shaunpress » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote: There have been some lamentable abuses at the edges, from both sides, and we all know that your federation was a victim. That doesn't mean that a single large federation can hijack the entire process.
I wouldn't describe either the FIDE Office in Athens, or the FIDE Electoral Commission "at the edges", rather smack bang in the middle. And these will be the bodies controlling the next election, and presumably its conduct.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:11 pm

shaunpress wrote:I wouldn't describe either the FIDE Office in Athens, or the FIDE Electoral Commission "at the edges", rather smack bang in the middle. And these will be the bodies controlling the next election, and presumably its conduct.
As the election will be in Batumi, Georgia, it wouldn't surprise me if Zurab Azmaiparashvili has a fair amount of influence over its conduct.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: What is known about Georgios Makropoulos?
He played on top board for Greece in the 1980 Malta Olympiad. In the first round he drew with Bermuda's Derek Harris.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 am

Chris Rice wrote:No words
"One billion people playing chess" continues to be his motto.
That's a complete fantasy but continues to be widely believed by those who should improve their research.

Given the Federations that always find an excuse not to vote against him, what are his chances?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

This looks like an interview, not just an announcement. Was it exclusive to chess.com or a press conference? It would be interesting to know more details.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 am

NickFaulks wrote: It would be interesting to know more details.
Like the US President, announcements come via Twitter.

A Google search for "ilyumzhinov twitter" should find it.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: It would be interesting to know more details.
Like the US President, announcements come via Twitter.

A Google search for "ilyumzhinov twitter" should find it.
https://twitter.com/fidepresident?lang=en links to the Chess.com story.

His FIDE President account doesn't appear to have been used since the first tweet in 2010: https://twitter.com/fidepresident?lang=en
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 am

The Russian twitter feed is here but is a repeat of what we already know. The key phrase is "in a statement to chess.com" which suggests perhaps it was part of an email/private message exchange to Peter Doggers.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 am

Chris Rice wrote:The key phrase is "in a statement to chess.com" which suggests perhaps it was part of an email/private message exchange to Peter Doggers.
It's repeated on Twitter, which removes the "I didn't really say that" excuse used to withdraw his supposed resignation.

One might have supposed that the second Athens meeting was a compromise to allow him to serve out his term before stepping down. Obviously not, or not an agreement that would be honoured. It's up to those who have made their excuses for supporting him in the past to say whether they support or oppose a 2018-2022 Kirsan Presidency.

(edit) There's now an update to the original story.
https://www.chess.com/news/view/ilyumzh ... -2018-1372

Makro comments
About the U.S. sanctions, he said: "At the last meeting of the Presidential Board, it was a unanimous conclusion of the members that Kirsan should not run in the next elections. This opinion had already been expressed by several Presidential Board members during the General Assembly in Baku 2016—except myself—I remember clearly Israel Gelfer and Jorge Vega.

"To be frank, I do not know anyone of the Presidential Board members with voting right, who has today a different opinion. Anyone. So, it is rather unlikely that someone of us would support Kirsan inthe next elections.
It would seem they missed the chance to get a declaration that Kirsan would stand down in 2018 as part of the deal that left him in office. (/edit)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:32 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:The key phrase is "in a statement to chess.com" which suggests perhaps it was part of an email/private message exchange to Peter Doggers.
It looks as though he has chosen Peter Doggers as his conduit to the world. Not a bad choice, I'd say, since he is not tarred with Russian contacts but is fair enough to offer straight reporting rather the usual boilerplate slurs which are all you can expect from the UK or US press.
It's up to those who have made their excuses for supporting him in the past to say whether they support or oppose a 2018-2022 Kirsan Presidency.
Some of them may feel they should wait and see who the other candidates are - Kirsan is at present the only declared candidate, and likely to stay that way for some time - but I do not expect to see any unqualified support from outside Russia, if even there.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:36 am

I'd be more interested in knowing who else will run.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:49 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: It would seem they missed the chance to get a declaration that Kirsan would stand down in 2018 as part of the deal that left him in office.
I think it would have been appallingly undemocratic to insist on such a commitment. If the federations want to vote for Kirsan in 2018, then his name should be on the ballot paper. He has been warned in the clearest terms that they don't, and that such a move would only be unhelpful.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 am

NickFaulks wrote: I think it would have been appallingly undemocratic to insist on such a commitment. If the federations want to vote for Kirsan in 2018, then his name should be on the ballot paper.
I would have thought it generally accepted that if someone declines to stand for a political office, that's it, regardless of whether there's still residual support. FIDE doesn't conduct its election campaigns on the basis of "write in" votes for candidates not on the ballot paper.

Historically FIDE insiders have reacted to reject challenges from outsiders, which meant supporting Kirsan regardless. Given the failed attempt to remove Kirsan, even conditionally at a future date, how many, if any, will break ranks this time? But it's the only likely way there will be a change as otherwise the mechanisms of patronage always support the incumbent.