2017 Reykjavik Open

The very latest International round up of English news.
Tim Harding

Re: 2017 Reykjavik Open

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:Good Luck Tim,

Kamsky won by default:

Was it a mobile phone or did his opponent do a Game 2 Fischer in Reykjavik and not turn up?
Reykjavik have a rule that if you pay your entry in advance you will be included in the round 1 draw (this is to allow for people who arrive late morning on the opening day with flight delays or tight timings). Unless of course you then notify the organisers in time that you are withdrawing.
Kamsky's opponent either failed to do that or was unable to do so, and it seems he is definitely not playing the tournament.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Brian Towers wrote:Presumably it is 27 ... Qc7 which loses as that sets up white's Qxg6. Perhaps if black had instead moved the d8 rook out of the way, perhaps d3, black may even have had winning chances with a plan to play the queen to d8 and then d4 followed by bishop back to g7, driving the queen away and opening up the possibility of winning the white rook stuck on the h file? A bit hopeful, I know. Every time black gets a move white gets one too so maybe pie in the sky, but if the mating threats go away that rook is vulnerable.
Having had a second look that seems to be right, 27...Qc7 is a blunder (25...Re5 isn't so bad at all) and Stockfish 8 gives instead 27...Rd3 with a big plus for Black although again I'm finding it difficult to know quite why its so good. White missed Qxg6+ the first time on move 28, which shows that it wasn't that easy to see and it looks as though Black would have still been better after 28 Bg5 if he plays 28...Qe5. Interesting game.
Yes a couple of real "senior moments" at the end, alas, but a really interesting game. With all the previous play on the dark squares, a combination on the light squares proved a blind spot (even for the Dutch champion first time around). Of course I saw 28...Qe5 but mistakenly thought Rxf7 worked in reply; in fact he would have nothing better than 29 Rh8+ which exchanges rooks but he would still be worse afterwards, though not as badly off as if I had found 27...Rd3 which just didn't occur to me. One point is that my B can afterwards go to d4, where it is totally shielded from attack by his KR so it perpetually defends his mate threats. Jorden said he would then have had no moves and with something like ...c5, ...Qc6 I would be threatening ...Rg3+.
However it was a very interesting game, especially for the amazing manoeuvres of my QR which Simon Williams liked. It moved 9 times and I think each move with the rook was good. However I have not yet examined the game with an engine.
There hasn't been time with another round at 9am next morning.

Jorden said that when I played 21...Rd4-e4 he thought it was a bad move but after thinking for a while about the position after 24...Bf6 he realised I had tricked him, not the other way around. But of course he saw a lot more complicated variations during the game than I did.
Superficially 21...Rd4-d3 was obvious, and was perhaps playable if analysed correctly, but the complications after 22 Bxb6!? Rd2! are horrendous, with two long main lines, one starting 23 Qe3 axb6 24 Qh6 Bc5 (which probably leads to a draw Jorden said but I didn't fathom at all) and the other being the Q sac for R,B+P which seemed unclear to me.
Unfortunately giving my opponent an advantage of 50 years and 500 Elo points ultimately proved too much, my own fault of course.

I think that if I had been playing somebody below 2300 I would have perhaps won this game.
He spent half an hour on the prophylactic 19 c4 which cuts out counter-attacks based on ...Rd1 and ...Qa6 which would have refuted the tries 19 Qg4 and 19 Qe3 which he had originally thought would have won for him when he chose Rh3.
The final blunder (leaving d8-R en prise) was just because of shock and subconsciously knowing there was no point in prolonging the game against a strong GM.

This morning I won in 60+ moves from a terrible position, opposite of yesterday, and took a half-point bye in the evening as was planned all along. It's just been snowing for the third time today with good sunny spells in between. Hoping the skies will be clear near midnight, as forecast, for a chance of seeing the Northern Lights.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Round-up of round 3 results of British/Irish players

GM Gawain Jones won v GM Eugenio Torre (3/3)
WM Sue Maroroa won with Black against an IM (she now has 2.5); very well done for that family!

Martin Burrows beat upfloated GM Erik Blomqvist (1pt before round); Martin is now on 2.5, well done!

CM Alan Walton lost to GM Harika Dronavalli (stays on 1.5pts)

John Pigott took a bye and is now on 2.
I also took a bye and am now on 1.5pts.

ALSO:
Matthew Peat won and reaches 1.5.
David Spence lost (stays on 1.5)
Alex Byrne (Irish teenager) lost and is on 1/3
FM Laurence Webb won and is on 2.
Peter Mulleady lost and stays on 1.
WCM Lynda Smith lost and stays on 1.
Alistair Hill won and moves to 2.

Patrick Daly (Irish senior who took bye in rd 1) lost and stays on 1
Jim Murray (Irish senior who took bye in rd 1) won and is on 1.5

Chris Smith lost and stays on 0

Round 4 is at 3pm tomorrow (4pm BST); the draw should be up in an hour or so, depending on two possible late-ending games.
Tim Harding

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 am

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the background on the Kamsky default.

What is it about Chess that haunts us.

A few months back I was at an Army re-union and had to be reminded about dozens of
incidents (some quite dangerous) I was involved in that I had totally forgotten all about.

But when I saw Tim's game and that unprotected Queen on c7 (Black has just played 27.Qc8-c7)

...my mind instantly went right back to 1977

G. Chandler - Charlie Taylor, Edinburgh 1977

I missed 19.Qxh7+ and Rxh7+ winning a whole piece and I eventually lost.

The game was a meaningless tournament game, neither of us had any hope of winning
anything and the lose was treated with the proverbial shrug of the shoulders.

Yet apparently that game etched deeper onto my memory cells than someone taking pot shots at me!

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Wrap up of today's fourth round.
Five players including Anish Giri are now on 4/4 including Gawain Jones who will be Black on board 2 tomorrow against Grandelius.

Game of the tournament so far was Shirov-Hambleton, which was played in desperate zeitnot for the last few moves.

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 017/4/1/10
Shirov was down to 2 minutes by about move 25 while his opponent had much more time then but was down to increment near the end.
Try playing guess the next move for both sides from Black's 23rd move onwards as we were doing in the commentary room with Simon Williams,Fiona Steil-Antoni and several others.
The Canadian IM's amazing hairstyle was part of the entertainment and he has sworn to keep growing his beard until he gets the GM title.

I won't do a complete wrap-up of results as it's getting late. You can check out the results and round 5 draw at
http://chess-results.com/tnr234895.aspx ... =30&wi=821

There are some really big games in prospect for Saturday afternoon.
Tim Harding

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Gawain drew; 8 players with 4.5/5 standings
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Yes the leaders took it easy today with quite short games, enabling many chasers to catch up. I think it wasn't so surprising as I believe Gawain and Nils Grandelius are quite friendly and once they saw Giri draw they weren't losing any ground.
(Vidit and Giri played a repetition in 12 moves, making rather a mockery of the no draws before move 30 rule.)
There will probably be some good fights tomorrow.

I didn't see much as it took me just under five hours to fail to cash in an extra pawn against Laurence Webb.
Alan Walton (who let me off yesterday - not intentionally of course) got a win, and his reward will be to play a real legend tomorrow; GM Eugenio Torre of the Philippines who did so well in the Baku olympiad.
Tim Harding

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:42 am

ChessBase report For the love of chess and Round 6 pairings. Top boards:

1 GM Giri Anish 2771 4½ 4½ GM Grandelius Nils 2641
2 GM Vidit Santosh Gujrathi 2670 4½ 4½ GM Jobava Baadur 2712
3 GM Kamsky Gata 2668 4½ 4½ GM Almasi Zoltan 2696
4 GM Jones Gawain C B 2671 4½ 4½ GM Gupta Abhijeet 2607
5 GM Movsesian Sergei 2677 4 4½ IM Hambleton Aman 2434

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Hard to believe White's 18th was played by a GM. Easiest point Mrs Giri will ever get.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Hard to believe White's 18th was played by a GM. Easiest point Mrs Giri will ever get.
I don't feel so bad about losing today after seeing that!

Alan Walton went down to Torre in the endgame.

After Gawain the next placed Brit is John Pigott on 4/6.

Top boards all drew today, but with some fighting, so there is an even larger leading group now: fourteen players on 5/6 with four rounds to go.

Still waiting for the draw to go up at 8.35pm Iceland time.
Tim Harding

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 pm

1 1 GM Giri Anish 2771 5 5 GM Kamsky Gata 2668 9
2 10 GM Grandelius Nils 2641 5 5 GM Andreikin Dmitry 2734 2
3 3 GM Jobava Baadur 2712 5 5 GM Landa Konstantin 2611 13
4 14 GM Gupta Abhijeet 2607 5 5 GM Movsesian Sergei 2677 6
5 17 GM Can Emre 2578 5 5 GM Jones Gawain C B 2671 7
6 29 GM Panchanathan Magesh Chandran 2494 5 5 GM Vidit Santosh Gujrathi 2670 8
7 11 GM L'ami Erwin 2614 4½ 5 WIM Vaishali R 2259 79
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:20 pm

There were actually 14 in the top group, but I see Almasi is taking a half point bye.
This probably means he is coming with us on the Golden Circle Tour.
Round 7 is the last round where byes can be taken.

Loads on 4.5 pts including Mrs Giri.
Board 8 is Yilmaz (who won the blitz on Friday) v Marc Esserman of Morra Gambit fame.
Board 9 is Praggnanandhaa v Beliavsky which I think is only the second game for the young Indian here on a live board. He lost to his countryman Vidit in round 3 and then was held to a draw by the French FM who beat me today.
Tim Harding

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:48 pm

A 1227 player beat a 2134 in 22 ply
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:08 am

Steven DuCharme wrote:A 1227 player beat a 2134 in 22 ply
Geoff Chandler posted about this a few days ago Steven, see page 1 of this thread for that Round 1 game.