FIDE Suspension of Iran

The very latest International round up of English news.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: FIDE Suspension of Iran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Iran has not yet been suspended, as IA Shohreh Bayat says.
Iran payed most of the money, but is yet to pay by 80 dollars, reportedly.
FIDE issued a statement saying that Iran was suspended, we have so far not seen anything to from FIDE since then to say that this has been rescinded though the statement's disappearance from the FIDE web site is mysterious. Thus as far as the chess world is concerned Iran is still suspended.

Your statement allegedly from Shohreh Bayat is very interesting but you have not demonstrated where it came from ie a link, web site, newspaper report etc. Can you do this?
Oh, just seen that, sorry.
It was in an interview with Iranian news agency mizanonline, the agency of the justice system, if I am right

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:13 am

Back on the naughty step. In good company though, not just the usual suspects.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:27 am

NickFaulks wrote:Back on the naughty step. In good company though, not just the usual suspects.
A number of European countries there:

Bulgaria
Cyprus
Estonia
Former YUG Rep of Macedonia
Italy
Serbia

Israel as well.

Bit surprised to see Italy and Israel on the list.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:53 am

Poor Eritrea occupies two naughty steps

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:57 am

My standard fide rating has been removed from my profile. The same happened to at least some of my friends.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:16 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:My standard fide rating has been removed from my profile. The same happened to at least some of my friends.
FIDE have removed the ratings of all Iranian players, including the GMs

https://ratings.fide.com/advaction.phtm ... e&line=asc

Although I don't know what other sanctions could be applied in the event of Federations not paying for their FIDE membership, it's wrong and bad for the promotion of chess to play political games with ratings.

It's not just Iran, ratings for Italy and Israel have disappeared as well.

That will do wonders for the successful organisation of European tournaments this summer and is as good an argument as any for not abandoning a national rating or grading system.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 am

The question is whether the ratings will be back upon payment

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:That will do wonders for the successful organisation of European tournaments this summer
History suggests that federations like Italy and Israel will now pay overdue fees very quickly indeed.
and is as good an argument as any for not abandoning a national rating or grading system.
Only if you are proposing to withhold your fees. Do you keep an electricity generator at home in case you want to stop paying your utility bills?

By the way, what happens when English chess organisations don't pay their fees to the ECF? I'm only asking because I don't know.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: Although I don't know what other sanctions could be applied in the event of Federations not paying for their FIDE membership.
Precisely, I'm sure any ideas would be gratefully received.

In many areas, the refrain is heard that it is wrong punish the players, but the trouble is that there isn't anyone else you can punish. Federation officials and organisers don't care until they get heat from their players.

In any case, nothing is actually happening to the rating system, it's just a nuisance, which is what it is intended to be. I wonder how many Italian players were aware that their federation, having collected fees from them, had failed to pass on its own fees to FIDE.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:57 am

NickFaulks wrote:Federation officials and organisers don't care until they get heat from their players.
FIDE don't care either and there isn't a mechanism for players to put heat on FIDE other than by trying to kick the national federations into action.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:FIDE have removed the ratings of all Iranian players, including the GMs

Although I don't know what other sanctions could be applied in the event of Federations not paying for their FIDE membership, it's wrong and bad for the promotion of chess to play political games with ratings.

It's not just Iran, ratings for Italy and Israel have disappeared as well.

That will do wonders for the successful organisation of European tournaments this summer and is as good an argument as any for not abandoning a national rating or grading system.
Fascinating that it is just the standard ratings that have been removed from display. Everything else - titles, rapid rating, blitz rating, birth year, sex, flags, rankings (world, national, europe), game statistics, games - is still there.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Brian Towers wrote: Fascinating that it is just the standard ratings that have been removed from display.
Why does that fascinate you?

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Brian Towers wrote: Fascinating that it is just the standard ratings that have been removed from display.
Why does that fascinate you?
Why do you ask?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:there isn't a mechanism for players to put heat on FIDE other than by trying to kick the national federations into action.
To put heat on FIDE to do what? How do you want them to enforce payment of fees by national federations? When FIDE run short of cash because federations aren't paying their fees, you are among the first to mock their incompetence.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Brian Towers wrote:Why do you ask?
Because it seemed a strange comment and I thought you might have a reason for making it. Not important.