Chess.com Isle Of Man Tournament 23 Sep to 1 Oct 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: Chess.com Isle Of Man Tournament 23 Sep to 1 Oct 2017

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 am

Nick Burrows wrote:I just noticed that this guy caught cheating https://chessbase.in/news/jeel-shah-cheating-dubai/ is in my section :x
Guess it's the same guy http://iominternationalchess.com/player ... l?start=20 Think I'd be concerned as well if I got paired against him, worth flagging up to the organisers to make sure its the same person in case they might not be aware of the history?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:56 am

The organisers are probably aware.

I bet the lad is going to be watched very carefully.

speculation No.347

Suppose Wes losses his semi-final v Ding Liren and Kramnik (him again) and Caruana
are now just ahead of him on rating.

Can both pull now out of the Isle of Man tournament, if so is there any penalty.

Just wondering.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 am

Geoff Chandler wrote: Can both pull now out of the Isle of Man tournament, if so is there any penalty.
I think So has already announced his non-participation in the Isle of Man tournament.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/wesley-so- ... -interview
So withdraws from IoM

Wesley was also slated to play, but has decided to withdraw since the World Cup semifinal schedule would not allow him time to travel, rest and prepare for IoM even if he is eliminated.
He's been removed from the list of entries at
http://iominternationalchess.com/players/masters.html

MVL is still in the list as second seed.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 am

Roger, I am sure Geoff was referring to Caruana and Kramnik, and not to So.

As to Geoff's question

1) I don't know
2) Presumably there would be no penalty in terms of qualifying for the Candidates, though likely there would be regarding appearance fees for the event itself
3) But even more confidently, I just can't imagine it happening.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:25 am

Indeed not; they might gain rating points at IoM, and Kramnik is also playing the Euro Club Cup after IoM

Amazingly strong tournament; congratulations to the IoM organisers for assembling such a strong field
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:The organisers are probably aware.
His case should of course be going through Anti-Cheating Commission, but I have no idea what they do nowadays.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:53 am

Nick Burrows wrote:I just noticed that this guy caught cheating https://chessbase.in/news/jeel-shah-cheating-dubai/ is in my section :x
It will be interesting to see whether other players are willing to play against him. I wouldn't.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 am

NickFaulks wrote: It will be interesting to see whether other players are willing to play against him. I wouldn't.
Peter Purland is presumably chief arbiter.
http://iominternationalchess.com/info/organisers.html

Events where he has been involved have usually invoked the "put the phone in a bag" rule.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Events where he has been involved have usually invoked the "put the phone in a bag" rule.
So what? You're dealing with a player who has a documented history of ignoring that rule.

Sometimes he gets caught, which he presumably regards as an occupational hazard, and other times he doesn't. Why would you want to play him?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am

Chris Rice wrote:... worth flagging up to the organisers...
I have done that.

I don't know how the organisers could have been expected to know, short of googling every entrant when their entry is received. Perhaps that has become necessary.

NickFaulks wrote:His case should of course be going through Anti-Cheating Commission, but I have no idea what they do nowadays.
NickFaulks wrote:It will be interesting to see whether other players are willing to play against him. I wouldn't.
What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

As far as I am aware, FIDE don't have a policy of suspending players while their cases are under investigation. If they do, it doesn't seem to have been applied in this case.

You are a prominent FIDE official. Should you not be putting pressure on FIDE to ensure that they deal with cases in a timely fashion, rather than setting up a one person kangaroo court?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:42 am

David Sedgwick wrote:What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
That disappeared when Mihaela Sandu took advantage of a few mistakes by higher rated players in 2015 :cry:
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 am

David Sedgwick wrote:What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
He's been caught concealing a cellphone and punished for it, more than once. Doesn't seem to have appealed, good enough for me.
As far as I am aware, FIDE don't have a policy of suspending players while their cases are under investigation. If they do, it doesn't seem to have been applied in this case.
If you're able to divine any FIDE policy at all you're ahead of me. They seem to have lost all interest in anti-cheating, if indeed they ever had any beyond a transient need to look as though they were doing something.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:36 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:That disappeared when Mihaela Sandu took advantage of a few mistakes by higher rated players in 2015 :cry:
If Sandu had been caught with a concealed cellphone, that would indeed be relevant to the case currently under discussion.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:42 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:That disappeared when Mihaela Sandu took advantage of a few mistakes by higher rated players in 2015 :cry:
If Sandu had been caught with a concealed cellphone, that would indeed be relevant to the case currently under discussion.
It was relevant to the quote I replied to from David who asked what happened about innocent until proven guilty. She was one of the higher profile cases where accusations were made without a thread of evidence, including prominent GMs insulting her on social media.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:It was relevant to the quote I replied to from David who asked what happened about innocent until proven guilty. She was one of the higher profile cases where accusations were made without a thread of evidence, including prominent GMs insulting her on social media.
Yes, we all know that, but I don't see the point of invoking it whenever anyone is actually caught red-handed. There was never a shred evidence against Sandu, there is a body of undisputed evidence against this guy. Appearing to equate the two is offensive to the one who really was innocent.