2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: 2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Having a fight with a Spanish security guard in 2004 doesn't seem to have counted against him.
Nor should it. I was there, and thought it hilarious that Azmai got beaten up by the Spanish police, but that doesn't alter the fact that they were a throwback to Franco days, just Fascist thugs.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:20 pm

As Kovalyov presents it, he is quite clearly being racially abused, and if that's corroborated, it's indefensible.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 pm

JustinHorton wrote:As Kovalyov presents it, he is quite clearly being racially abused, and if that's corroborated, it's indefensible.
Just for the record, to which race does Kovalyov claim he belongs, that is being abused?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:45 pm

For the record, Nick, I won't be engaging in a discussion about whether what was reported as being said constitutes racial abuse. What actually happened, what can be proved, and what can be done, yes. But not the first bit.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:10 pm

JustinHorton wrote:For the record, Nick, I won't be engaging in a discussion about whether what was reported as being said constitutes racial abuse. What actually happened, what can be proved, and what can be done, yes. But not the first bit.
So far as I can tell, Azmai is alleged to have used the term "gypsy" to mean "someone who wears short trousers where long ones would be more appropriate".

As one who has lived for 25 years in Bermuda, where shorts are regarded as formal wear in the same way as Scots regard a kilt, I cannot agree with this characterisation. However, the suggestion that Azmai intended his comment as a racial slur, when I doubt he has any idea whether Kovalyov has a drop of Romany blood, is absurd.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Apparently Carlsen lost today. Did anyone notice? :?:

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Apparently Carlsen lost today. Did anyone notice? :?:
Yes, and not only that but Bu won. It looked like a good game by the Chinese player.
It does not seem so unusual to see Carlsen lose these days, but maybe I am imagining it. I would not be at all surprised to see him win the return game with the black pieces, however.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Pressure's all on the other guy if you ask me.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:As Kovalyov presents it, he is quite clearly being racially abused, and if that's corroborated, it's indefensible.
Just for the record, to which race does Kovalyov claim he belongs, that is being abused?
That "argument" was lost when it was accepted Jews constitute a race.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Peter Doggers has a special report on the Kovalyov incident and the rules and regulations regarding the dress code. What caught my eye was:

"He (Kovalyov) told Chess.com that he was too upset to give a comment, but he did confirm that he had not been told before that the shorts he was wearing were not allowed. He also said he would not appeal. It should be noted that Azmaiparashvili is both the organizer and a member of the Appeals Committee of this tournament. It would be a remarkable combination in any non-FIDE organized tournament."

There has also been a tweet on the Chess24 site that "Azmai admits using the word "gypsy" - claims in the sense of "tramp" & used based on the Georgian expression "dressed like a tramp"..."

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Chris Rice wrote:It should be noted that Azmaiparashvili is both the organizer and a member of the Appeals Committee of this tournament. It would be a remarkable combination in any non-FIDE organized tournament.
Precisely for this reason. How do you appeal against an action of someone who is going to hear the appeal?
Chris Rice wrote:Azmai admits using the word "gypsy"
Why is there no headdesk smiley?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:02 pm

So far as I can tell, Azmai is alleged to have used the term "gypsy" to mean "someone who wears short trousers where long ones would be more appropriate".
No doubt the Nazis used a similar definition in an attempt to justify their own actions.

I don't post much any more as you know, but I find your attempt to justify his comments unconscionable. Shame on you.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Apparently Carlsen lost today. Did anyone notice? :?:
Luckily the chess.com report managed to pick this up and I had completely forgotten that Magic Bu was once the world's youngest GM. Great game. One wonders whether Carlsen would have taken the draw on move 17 instead of playing for a risky win if his title had been at stake. To be fair to Carlsen he seems to be one of the few players actually trying to push for a win in the Classical games, a lot of players seem to be quite happy to halve out the two games and then try their luck in the rapid & blitz.

The highlight of the report, although they weren't playing each other, is definitely the exchange in Russian between Navara and Aronian before the start of the round.

Navara: ""Congratulations for qualifying yesterday. But I would have preferred to see Hou Yifan advance. She is much nicer to look at!"

Aronian: "I also rather look at her than at you!"

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:39 am

ChessMind game analysis of Carlsen-Bu plus Ivanchuk-Kramnik and the wins by So and Aronian
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:39 am

Mike Truran wrote:
No doubt the Nazis used a similar definition in an attempt to justify their own actions.

I don't post much any more as you know, but I find your attempt to justify his comments unconscionable. Shame on you.

Thoroughly shameful tweet from New in Chess this morning - citing with approval a comment that was claiming "gypsy" was a neutral term.