European Club Cup 8-14 October, Antalya

The very latest International round up of English news.
Alan Walton

Re: European Club Cup 8-14 October, Antalya

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Because they both decided on the first night that boards one and two were going to be tough, and the other two volunteered to play one one and two

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: Nigel Freeman is an avid reader of this Forum.
I do wonder sometimes how widely the forum is read. I have seen some suggestions and points made about other websites, with corrections made rather quickly soon after. These sites range from the BBC to Chessbase.

Maybe Kirsan reads this forum, or even Putin and Trump! :D

[I am just winding John McK up, though in China this sort of surveillance would be a reality]

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Setbacks for the English teams, though again 3Cs had some bright spots. Most of them seem to have had some good results, and playing Ashton and Quillan on boards 3 and 4 seems to have been a well judged decision. But as ever, how well the event will be remembered in competitive terms is likely disproportionately to depend on the last round.
Adam is certainly in contention for a board medal: http://chess-results.com/tnr302878.aspx ... =30&wi=821 although it doesn't look like he has played sufficient IM/GMs for what would have been a deserved norm opportunity.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 pm

No, he'd need to play an IM in round 7, and Dardania don't have one.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:58 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: Nigel Freeman is an avid reader of this Forum.
I do wonder sometimes how widely the forum is read. I have seen some suggestions and points made about other websites, with corrections made rather quickly soon after. These sites range from the BBC to Chessbase.

Maybe Kirsan reads this forum, or even Putin and Trump! :D

[I am just winding John McK up, though in China this sort of surveillance would be a reality]
It would be surprising if it hadn't come on the Iranian authorities' radar ;)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:11 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:No, he'd need to play an IM in round 7, and Dardania don't have one.
Have the rules changed on this at some point? I have some vague memory (and may be confusing with something else) that at one time you only needed to play 2GMs or 3IMs for IM norm purposes (1GM counted as 1.5IMs or something?).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am

Richard Bates wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:No, he'd need to play an IM in round 7, and Dardania don't have one.
Have the rules changed on this at some point? I have some vague memory (and may be confusing with something else) that at one time you only needed to play 2GMs or 3IMs for IM norm purposes (1GM counted as 1.5IMs or something?).
Your recollection is correct, but the Regulations have indeed changed.

For an IM norm, it used to be possible to play 2 GMs rather than 3 IMs. That ceased to apply with effect from 1st July 2013.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:

For an IM norm, it used to be possible to play 2 GMs rather than 3 IMs. That ceased to apply with effect from 1st July 2013.
Which led to me stopping organising title norm all-play-alls because of the increased cost (needing to pay for an extra titled player and receiving one less entry fee).
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:59 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Richard Bates wrote: Have the rules changed on this at some point? I have some vague memory (and may be confusing with something else) that at one time you only needed to play 2GMs or 3IMs for IM norm purposes (1GM counted as 1.5IMs or something?).

Which led to me stopping organising title norm all-play-alls because of the increased cost (needing to pay for an extra titled player and receiving one less entry fee).

In Adam's case the old rule wouldn't have saved him as he hasn't been paired against the FM he could have legally played in the opposing team.
?? 4 Title holders, that's enough, no? For some reason I've never understood, all women's titles count for the purposes of non-women's title norms. Alhtough clearly no issue anyway with WGM given that a WGM has met the criteria for FM by default.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:56 am

Richard Bates wrote:?? 4 Title holders, that's enough, no? For some reason I've never understood, all women's titles count for the purposes of non-women's title norms. Alhtough clearly no issue anyway with WGM given that a WGM has met the criteria for FM by default.
I think that you are correct on this point. 3 IMs and 1 WFM would have met the titled player requirements.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:08 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:?? 4 Title holders, that's enough, no? For some reason I've never understood, all women's titles count for the purposes of non-women's title norms. Alhtough clearly no issue anyway with WGM given that a WGM has met the criteria for FM by default.
I think that you are correct on this point. 3 IMs and 1 WFM would have met the titled player requirements.
Apologies, yes you are both correct. I even looked this up a couple of days ago and found it was four, not five. I can only plead "temporary amnesia" :oops:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:11 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Setbacks for the English teams, though again 3Cs had some bright spots. Most of them seem to have had some good results, and playing Ashton and Quillan on boards 3 and 4 seems to have been a well judged decision. But as ever, how well the event will be remembered in competitive terms is likely disproportionately to depend on the last round.
Adam is certainly in contention for a board medal: http://chess-results.com/tnr302878.aspx ... =30&wi=821 although it doesn't look like he has played sufficient IM/GMs for what would have been a deserved norm opportunity.
Adam has won again; impressive performance; good performance by 3Cs overall too
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:03 am

chess.com report from which it appears that Vlad won't play yo try and qualify to the Candidates by rating
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:41 am

Mick Norris wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Adam has won again; impressive performance; good performance by 3Cs overall too
Whilst not a medal, still a very fine performance: http://euroclubcup2017.tsf.org.tr/en/co ... w&kid=1026

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:55 am