I have recently taken on the role of Manager of Women's Chess for the ECF. The primary aim is to try and encourage more women in to the game, and to keep participating in chess.
Some of the approaches that I feel may help aid this is are through:
- organise additional female-friendly events;
- trying and make it easier for female players to get in contact with each other to share accommodation and travel arrangements;
- provide a point of contact for any questions or queries;
- arrange informal events during tournament evenings, such as group dinners and drinks;
- encourage tournament organisers to provide occasional discounted
tournament entries for female players.
I have set up a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110812582264018); all are free to join.
I would love to hear any comments or suggestions that people have to help improve the accessibility of chess for female players, regardless of age or ability.