Women's In-Tournament Training

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Sabrina Chevannes

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 pm

I know that I probably shouldn't post and many will think I am wrong in doing so, but I really want this nonsense to stop! Alan, I wrote in a post to you (and I am not going to bother quoting the exact date and time because I don't have the time to look that all up) that I was going to ignore your posts and only deal with posts regarding women's chess. You continued to revisit the same old issue about something that wasn't to do with the training, even though that is what the thread is about.

The problem it seems is that you don't seem to be able to let things go and move on. A topic would just finish and you would revisit it uneccessarily. You mention this "hand in friendship" over and over again, but I saw it as you trying to look like you are the bigger man but not truly being sorry. You continued to personally direct your comments at me after this supposed hand in friendship and never was I to accept such a fake gesture. I would prefer to forget about the topic, move on and agree to disagree and not pretend to have any fake kind of friendship.

Frankly I have felt that this whole thread is rather childish and the children in my chess clubs behave more maturely than this. I admit, I reacted badly in some comments (sorry about the personal ones to you Louise) but I let myself get wound up for provocation. I will try not to do this again (note the TRY - but some people are just grrrrrr).

Again Alan, this thread had gone quiet, but you continue to bring up old issues just so you can have an argument.

I created this thread to advertise the women's training event (which went extremely well by the way) and to thank Sean for his support with everything. I did not expect such hostility.

I will continue to work with Jovanka as Manager of Women's Chess as we believe we have some great ideas to get as many women as possible playing and enjoying the game. We are definitely open to suggestions of how we can improve things and if there is any constructive criticism about what we are doing then please do PM me about it.

We have already received some great advice which we have taken on board. I just don't appreciate some of the attitudes on this thread as we have been working very hard to try and do our best but getting slated for it. I don't see anyone else putting in this effort to make a difference.

Please let us just do our jobs. I am not asking anyone to agree with women's chess if they don't believe in it, but please don't knock us consistentely as it is demoralising.

Ok, no more retalliatin from me!

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Sabrina
Thank you for the apology which is accepted. Please don't think I was being facetious about hypno therapy - it really is excellent for chess and all sport involving concentration.
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Maria Yurenok wrote:... discussion started off quite civilized and constructive, but unfortunately it deteriorated when you and Sabrina misunderstood each other's language as helpfully pointed out by Simon Spivack earlier.
Thank you, Maria, for the kind words.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Sabrina, as I said, I showed Carl the text of my last post prior to its publication and he did not prevent it from being put into the forum - so, if he was OK with it, then if you think that it should not have been allowed, you should perhaps aim any criticism at him.

I also note that despite me having put forward positive suggestions for the overall benefit of womens' chess (ie free coaching instead of free entries), you have failed to even acknowledge such ideas, whether you agree or not, but have waited for an opportunity to just continue your imagined perception that anyone who dares give an alternative view to your own MUST be anti-women.

OK, to satisfy you I will withdraw the 'hand of friendship' offer, but it does seem odd that you criticise my continued peace attempt; yet if you had made a reply to my first offer (either for or against), then I would not have had to keep trying to get an amicable solution to the problem. However, you just chose to completely ignore any of my posts, when even a rejection of my offer would have at least let everyone know of your feeleings. Even the Irish Government and IRA eventually held peace talks, even though they probably both had suspicions of the other's motives - but unless BOTH parties swallowed their pride then nothing would have been resolved.

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Sabrina, as I said, I showed Carl the text of my last post prior to its publication and he did not prevent it from being put into the forum - so, if he was OK with it, then if you think that it should not have been allowed, you should perhaps aim any criticism at him.

I also note that despite me having put forward positive suggestions for the overall benefit of womens' chess (ie free coaching instead of free entries), you have failed to even acknowledge such ideas, whether you agree or not, but have waited for an opportunity to just continue your imagined perception that anyone who dares give an alternative view to your own MUST be anti-women.

OK, to satisfy you I will withdraw the 'hand of friendship' offer, but it does seem odd that you criticise my continued peace attempt; yet if you had made a reply to my first offer (either for or against), then I would not have had to keep trying to get an amicable solution to the problem. However, you just chose to completely ignore any of my posts, when even a rejection of my offer would have at least let everyone know of your feeleings. Even the Irish Government and IRA eventually held peace talks, even though they probably both had suspicions of the other's motives - but unless BOTH parties swallowed their pride then nothing would have been resolved.
I have highlighted the key word in your post that you may wish to reflect upon.

BTW, you are not the Irish Government, the British Government and the IRA.

You are two posters in a forum who can doubtless enjoy the full range of services offered here without need for interaction.

This nonsense has gone on far too long and is not what this section, or in fact any section, of this forum is about.
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 pm

Alan, give it a rest!!

If you're so passionate about pursuing your personal vendatta, I suggest you use a PM to Sabrina. At least that would only bore Sabrina rather than the rest of us. Even better, you could just take the view that if you haven't got anything useful to say perhaps you shouldn't say it.

PS I note that you're not on the ECF grading database in either an active or an inactive capacity. Are you even a chessplayer? - or have you just stumbled on this forum and are trying to stir up trouble because you relish the attention?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Mike Truran wrote: PS I note that you're not on the ECF grading database in either an active or an inactive capacity. Are you even a chessplayer? - or have you just stumbled on this forum and are trying to stir up trouble because you relish the attention?
He's the father of a chess player, as he mentioned in another thread.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Alan is captain of one of the 3Cs teams

His son Mitchell is an England junior and captain of the Greater Manchester Open team

I think it would be better if we didn't have recourse to the ECF grading database to judge everyone's chess involvement, as for many of us it represents a very small fraction of our work in chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 pm

I am no longer active but hopefully can't be excluded...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Mike Truman .. Why is it that just because I defend myself against a post directed at me, you consider me to have a personal vendetta ? And why should anyone even have to play chess to take an interest in it ? Lots of people are interested in football but don't play it !!!

I actually don't have any ill-feelings personally against Sabrina; we just have differing points of view on this subject, whereas we might be able to chat about someting else and totally agree - but although, yes, I have voiced opinions against certain ideas, where have I ever made any personal insults or 'name-called' anyone in this thread ? However, comments such as 'grow up'; ''you are a plank" and references to me on Facebook over this matter have all been made without anyone saying those people have made personal attacks upon me. If I have upset you then I apologise; if that would be acceptable ?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Mike Truman
His name is Mike Truran. (Carl, we need a facepalm smilie.)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Alan Burke wrote:Mike Truman
His name is Mike Truran. (Carl, we need a facepalm smilie.)
Oh no more PM's to me :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Alex - I therefore apologise for my typing abilities. By the way, will you now be correcting every post throughout the forum ?

HLang

Post by HLang » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Threads like this one are why I think that Khendon's Law is a good idea:

"If the same point is made twice by the same person, the thread is over."

(Now for a further 5 pages of posts debating the exact meanings of words such as 'point', 'person', and 'over'!)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Alex - I therefore apologise for my typing abilities. By the way, will you now be correcting every post throughout the forum ?
People get my name wrong all the time. It leaves a mark. :(